Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

It was introduced after the fact. Lucky you ^.^

You are welcome to toy with my machine remotely (PM) if you want to see what I'm talking about. I don't have anything interesting and frankly you seem more qualified than the typical help desk Microsoft employee. The person on the phone though seemed to know what I was talking about right off the bat, so hes probably a software engineer for Microsoft, part of the team itself perhaps. Edit: Problem is, I have a suspicion its on purpose hence why its taking so long to "fix". It goes back to direct x 11. I know very little about it, but I know the origins of its performance in relation to CPU very intimately, hence why my guide is what it is for a pure hobbyist.

Edited by Lucifer1945

I wish I had time to help you by connecting to your system remotely but I really don't.  I'm not unwilling to continue to try to help you here (as I'm sure are others).  Maybe you could start a new thread and very specifically describe what's gone wrong as well as showing what build you're running (like I said, run WinVer).

-Noel

What do you mean, vinifera?  Are you speaking of the positioning of the "10" in the graphic?  That font has letters that really do sit on different baseline pixel rows.  On purpose.  I think the idea may have been that letters that are a bit jumbled were in keeping with this ad concept:

WIndows10Ad.jpg

Regarding the dialog, the "10" part of the graphic was quite clearly added as an afterthought.  Remember, the marketing goons originally removed all versioning entirely.  Then someone put the 10 back in and didn't even bother to center it.

Yes, it really all is that ridiculous.

-Noel

2 hours ago, Formfiller said:

nag.jpg

It’s not possible to opt-out Windows 10 anymore!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/windows_10_nagware_no_way_out/

We discussed that article a little while back.

I guess the real question is:  Are there any entries in the pull-downs such as "Never" or "01/01/2099"?  If so, a legal eagle could point out that you really do have the choice.

Microsoft has also recently taken to putting up dialogs that if you just X them to close them out, that's considered acceptance of the update offer.  Some tiny little link in the middle of the dialog that's a slightly different color than the rest of the text is the way to change that assumed acceptance.

GWX-New.jpg

win10-second-warning-100663769-large.idg

Yeah, they really are being very aggressive.  So what else is new.  The techniques and technology to avert GWX have been around a long time.  Who is still being caught out by this?

NOT THAT WE SHOULD HAVE TO DEFEND OURSELVES AGAINST MICROSOFT, but it is what it is.

-Noel

4 hours ago, vinifera said:

no i'm not, youre just too blind to read and a bit too "down the hill" to grasp what was written
you are crapping how you nlited your xp to 200 MB, great, i wrote you win7 can be also limited to 700 MB or less
-
you are crapping on win7 speed vs xp, they are almost the same, as WRITTEN if you run any pc bought in 06-07
the only thing XP is faster is in D2D which was changed in NT6, but since everything goes over D3D (DWM/MIL)
there is no slowness, while your precious XP constantly uses CPU for everything
-
you're crapping about easier modding of i386, which as again i WROTE, isn't
and again WROTE that you can't compare NT6 vs 5, as they have different approach
but for the sakes of argument, i386=archive and de-archive every single file, wim=one giant archive which can be edited with ordinary archiver
-
safety ? black hat hackers ? - gimme a f'kin break, XP can break like a twig, it has zero backbone safety
even its firewall is dog s***
-
now you write 2000 can't run some XP stuff, well hello, neither XP can some made for NT6+
it will be phased out very fast, it is obsolete foundation
-
i'm not christian too, it was just one of those generic expressions - f*** it
-
now i'm done with this as this is win10 topic

Hello! Can you drop it?

XP scored more passmark score under mordern hardware than your Windows 7 (Not talking about 10 , it is a crappy hell)

51 minutes ago, NoelC said:

I guess the real question is:  Are there any entries in the pull-downs such as "Never" or "01/01/2099"?  If so, a legal eagle could point out that you really do have the choice.

Microsoft has also recently taken to putting up dialogs that if you just X them to close them out, that's considered acceptance of the update offer.  Some tiny little link in the middle of the dialog that's a slightly different color than the rest of the text is the way to change that assumed acceptance.

GWX-New.jpg

win10-second-warning-100663769-large.idg

Yeah, they really are being very aggressive.  So what else is new.  The techniques and technology to avert GWX have been around a long time.  Who is still being caught out by this?

NOT THAT WE SHOULD HAVE TO DEFEND OURSELVES AGAINST MICROSOFT, but it is what it is.

-Noel

MS Asking people to use 10 by forcing them

On 8/9/2015 at 3:27 AM, alacran said:

I want to let you know about this comparative table:

JTVkiBM.jpg

windows 10 out perform a little over DX11 as it has DX11.2 where 8.1/7(with Platform update) given dx11.1

Again it is a mS Trick

28 minutes ago, vinifera said:

you have some mental issues to which I don't want to be part of

And you are amazingly rude, angry and offensive. Some of the things you've said recently have gotten other people banned. Your generally insulting, constantly foul, and flame people who don't agree with you. Your truly worse than the win ten fanboiz and super trolls we see all the time. 

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

What do you mean, vinifera?  Are you speaking of the positioning of the "10" in the graphic?  That font has letters that really do sit on different baseline pixel rows.  On purpose.  I think the idea may have been that letters that are a bit jumbled were in keeping with this ad concept:

WIndows10Ad.jpg

Regarding the dialog, the "10" part of the graphic was quite clearly added as an afterthought.  Remember, the marketing goons originally removed all versioning entirely.  Then someone put the 10 back in and didn't even bother to center it.

Yes, it really all is that ridiculous.

-Noel

I see they're making ads that feature their intended target audience now...

Guys, let's remember that we are all (or most of us) on the same side here with regard to the topic of the thread, which is Windows 10. From this thread's perspective, it doesn't matter if you think that XP or 7 or Windows 2.0 is the best Windows OS that Microsoft has produced: we still dislike the direction that the company took with Win10, for such a large number of possible reasons!

How about taking any disagreements we might have about other operating systems, to new threads in their respective MSFN sections? :)

--JorgeA

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

From what I've read, you can only postpone the update from the pull-down menu for a few days. There is no "never" option or a far date.

Anyone trusting MS is nuts after their W10 behavior.

I would expect anything from them now. Stealing code through phone home in Visual Studio, slowing down competitor products on Windows, selling your data to the highest bidder, no matter how shady. You name it.

Any of these behaviors can be explained away by them when caught with “telemetry” or “patch gone wrong”.

Edited by Formfiller

5 hours ago, Formfiller said:

From what I've read, you can only postpone the update from the pull-down menu for a few days. There is no "never" option or a far date.

Anyone trusting MS is nuts after their W10 behavior.

I would expect anything from them now. Stealing code through phone home in Visual Studio, slowing down competitor products on Windows, selling your data to the highest bidder, no matter how shady. You name it.

Any of these behaviors can be explained away by them when caught with “telemetry” or “patch gone wrong”.

Agreed on their built-in excuses for things that may go "wrong."

But regarding the contents of that latest version of the Win10 downgrade dialog box, please see this.

Who knows, it might be a random process that gives Microsoft plausible deniability while sneaking in a few million more Win10 installations, but the bottom line is that, as of that writing, the phenomenon had yet to be publicly reproduced.

--JorgeA