Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

By the way guys, what is with this forum? The new version kinda sucks. It's  flashier, but seems slower (instant loading in the old one vs all the javacript preloading, load on scroll etc. magic now) and it's buggier. One of the reasons I was away for a while.

The forum software feels quite NuMicrosoftian now (form over functionality, solving minor annoyances by creating far bigger ones), which is highly ironic.

Edited by Formfiller

What, you don't recognize keeping up with modern trends, Formfiller?  Everything MUST suck a little more and work a little less, or it's "old and busted".

Regarding that new Windows 10 GWX nag screen...  What does clicking that little arrow on the right edge do?  Start the upgrade?

-Noel

54 minutes ago, Formfiller said:

By the way guys, what is with this forum? The new version kinda sucks. It's  flashier, but seems slower (instant loading in the old one vs all the javacript preloading, load on scroll etc. magic now) and it's buggier. One of the reasons I was away for a while.

The forum software feels quite NuMicrosoftian now (form over functionality, solving minor annoyances by creating far bigger ones), which is highly ironic.

My understanding of it is that MSFN is subject to the whims of the Forum Software Gods, whom @xper is obliged to obey. The alternative seems to be to seek out new forum software, which would risk losing everything's that's been built up here over the years.

Bottom line: xper and the rest of us are getting dragged along by the tide.

--JorgeA

19 minutes ago, NoelC said:

What, you don't recognize keeping up with modern trends, Formfiller?  Everything MUST suck a little more and work a little less, or it's "old and busted".

Regarding that new Windows 10 GWX nag screen...  What does clicking that little arrow on the right edge do?  Start the upgrade?

-Noel

Given the little circles along the bottom edge of the window, which usually indicate a self-changing display, I would speculate that the little arrow is for manually changing to what's in the next circle.

Then again, you would think that the function of a red X at the upper right corner of a window is to close the window without approving the action that the window proposes to take. But, at NuMicrosoft, consistency and established UI practices are passé. We are henceforth to be subject to the whims of the UI gods -- and we shall embrace it.

--JorgeA

46 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Displays another W10 ad I think.

Edited by Formfiller

Too bad I'll never see that dialog; I'd love to know what all of the pages to the right look like.

Frankly, if a dialog is stating "this is how it's going to be", I would very much imagine that just closing it means nothing.  It's like closing the web browser after having ordered a gadget on Amazon.com, and being told it would be there in 3 days.  Closing the browser window doesn't mean "cancel the order".

But I do agree it breaks with tradition, and it's clearly a move of desperation by Microsoft, who realize they're really going to make it to maybe 300 million installs, about half of which are actually being used.

I'm waiting to see the huge lawsuits when they actively break Windows 7 and 8.1.  And if you think that's "tinfoil hat" stuff I point out the current problems with getting through Windows Update.  I have personally experienced the slowdowns on well-maintained Win 7 and 8.1 systems.  It's no accident that the CPU goes into a hard loop for tens of minutes (and that's on a fast computer, it's hours or even tens of hours on a slower one).

What Microsoft is doing to computing - and to the United States - is absolutely criminal in my opinion.  They bear a responsibility to continue providing serious, business-oriented computing capability.  That they have chosen to leave that completely behind screams the need for no less than criminal prosecution.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

2 hours ago, Formfiller said:

By the way guys, what is with this forum? The new version kinda sucks.

<sarcasm>

But wait!

Now you can select "Blueberry" or even "Chocolate" for a forum theme!  And it actually affects a few elements on the page!!!  OMG, it's CUSTOMIZABLE!!!!!!!!!

Only thing is, the default font isn't big enough.

</sarcasm>

Kinda?

(see also my comment at the bottom of this post)

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

49 minutes ago, NoelC said:

But I do agree it breaks with tradition, and it's clearly a move of desperation by Microsoft, who realize they're really going to make it to maybe 300 million installs, about half of which are actually being used.

Have they missed how bad W8 was doing? or the xbone backlash? Why would it be that much different with W10, especially given that it made negative headlines before launch already. They should have expected a business as usual "NuMicrosoft" reception.

Marketing and "bla bla" speak is one thing, but they seem to be genuinely baffled why their approaches since 2012 fail so bad.

I guess they still think W8 bombed because it was badmouthed and if only people used it for themselves then they all would have bought Surfaces the next day.

Edited by Formfiller

I used to think they were baffled, but actually now I think they're marching to explicit orders to actively destroy Windows.

Look up "break it" thinking some time.

-Noel

I actually wonder why there was a saving grace for W10 naggers in the first place. I am talking about the nice phase of the GWX nag, where it would just display something without installing it outright. I am pretty sure they planned to go bonkers all along at the end of the campagin, so they might as well started it with a bang and being done with it.

It's all about taking the time to redefine what society thinks of as "normal" or "acceptable".

No one would have stood for anything like this in the time of Win 7.  People paid good money for anti-malware / anti-PUP software to block exactly this kind of thing.

Notice that very few folks are crying about lost functionality any more.  No one would even remember that you can't play nearly as rich a set of media with Win 10, or that Aero Glass actually made Windows 7 easier to use if there weren't still hold-outs who are still intimately familiar with the old systems because they actually still USE them. 

Microsoft DESPERATELY wants to get past the stage of "common sense" and "it was better before" and into the full-on fashion phase where they can do whatever the hell they want on a moment's notice.  That will not be a good time for users - it's not now - but they will be stuck with it.

Some of us have seen through their game since the beginning, and still don't tolerate it.  However, and unfortunately, most have already begun to accept what Microsoft is doing as the "new normal".  THAT is the biggest shame in all this.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

All part of the Microsoft Product Life Termination.  End the product lines that were generating profit.  Then reduce personnel to keep the bottom line up.  Go to bankruptcy when all the profit is squeezed out of the company. Follow the stockholder economic theory. Computer technology and stakeholder economics are of no concern.  The computer evolution journey is moving on.  One would think that maybe a "small" company like Apple might start making billions.  Maybe even Warren would buy a chunk of Apple stock.

I read the IPS Forum thread:

So the situation is the literal NuMicrosoft scenario? Company went crazy, destroys own product, forces you to upgrade to it, and you can't get away due the many custom stuff that depends on the thing.

The tweaks the admins had to do to retain functionality reminds me of installing Classic Shell on W8 and the like. LOL! It's a shitty situation, but you gotta admit it's funny given the topics on this forum.