Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Windows 10 update brings unwelcome end to pro gamer's 9-hour Twitch livestream

In another example of Windows 10 making a surprise public appearance, the OS brought an unexpected pause to proceedings during a Twitch livestream - much to the surprise of pro-gamer-turned-full-time-game-streamer Erik Flom.

Flom, who has over 130,000 followers on Twitch, was streaming his session of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive when the action was brought to a halt by the sudden appearance of a 'Configuring updates for Windows 10' screen, as his viewers continued to watch.

You've GOT to see the video on the NeoWin page. :lol::angry:

And the fanbois down below are blaming HIM. They miss the point, which is that this could not happen if Windows 10 users were permitted to make heir own decisions as to when and whether to install updates and builds.

--JorgeA

On 5/8/2016 at 6:22 PM, JorgeA said:

Windows 10 update brings unwelcome end to pro gamer's 9-hour Twitch livestream

You've GOT to see the video on the NeoWin page. :lol::angry:

And the fanbois down below are blaming HIM. They miss the point, which is that this could not happen if Windows 10 users were permitted to make heir own decisions as to when and whether to install updates and builds.

--JorgeA

Oh my god, the comments. It's like staring into the abyss. The sheer stupidity of the people in that comment section is humbling.

First, they're questioning the guy's life choices. While I don't personally agree with them, for each his own. Then they proceed to blame him for not turning off automatic updates... of which if I remember correctly is impossible.

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 5:07 PM, dencorso said:

Well, it seems they've previewed it already as a "trash existing Windows 7 update" that's been wreaking havok on Asus motherboards...

I will be more surprised if this sort of thing does NOT keep happening, than if it does. Whether the result is intentional or unintentional is not relevant...

--JorgeA

Is Windows 10 Going to Reach 1 Billion Devices on Time?

Well well, what an amazing coincidence:

Those last four set of daily installs/active users come out to a total of 3,437,750 and when divided by four equals 859,000 daily active users being added on Windows 10.

Taking that average and dividing it into the number of active users still needed to reach 1 billion, that is 700 million as of last week, that means Microsoft still needs 815 days to reach 1 billion devices running Windows 10.

The date in 815 days from 05 May, when we got the last batch of momentum numbers last week, will be 29 July 2018. That is exactly three years after the release of Windows 10 on 29 July 2015.

[emphasis added]

Wouldn't it be a remarkable illustration of Microsoft's planning excellence, for Windows 10 to reach the stated goal on precisely that date? Bow down ye servants to the Mighty Microsoft, who knoweth all!

Figures like these make one skeptical of all their OS stats. <_<

--JorgeA

From Is Windows 10 Going to Reach 1 Billion Devices on Time?

>Those last four set of daily installs/active users come out to a total of 3,437,750 and when divided by four equals
>859,000 daily active users being added on Windows 10.

Does anyone really believe nearly 1 million NEW people each day are installing this turkey or buying a device with it already on there?

Or that anything like such a figure could be sustained for another two years?

All without adding any significant value to an OS that otherwise restricts users more than ever before?

Seriously?

-Noel

Souns like The Next Big Thing That's Going to Take Windows Into the FutureTM is not quite ready for prime time:
Windows Continuum: What happened when I used a Windows 10 phone as my PC

I’m sitting at my desk on a Monday afternoon,ready to smash something. I’ve spent the past four hours trying to finish a task that usually takes less than half that time. But this isn’t a typical day. It’s the first day in a week where I vowed to work exclusively in Windows 10 Mobile’s desktop Continuum mode via my Lumia 950 instead of on my proper PC. Goodbye AAA games, traditional desktop applications, and easy multi-tasking. Hello, mobile software and a struggling app ecosystem. Why did I sign up for this again?

[...]

While a PC—even a Chromebook—can handle my daily needs without a stutter, my Lumia 950 just wasn’t up for the task.

The core of the problem might be the software. Continuum is still in its early days and lacks some key productivity tools. For example, Continuum doesn’t support the standard Windows snap mode, which allows you to view two programs simultaneously on a single screen. That means you have to use one full-screen app at a time. Hello, Metro Week experience from the bleak Windows 8 era.

The bottom line:

Overall, Continuum was a neat experience, but that’s really all it was. For now, I am a Jobsian truck driver despite my meager computing demands, and my little handheld coupe just can’t meet my needs. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend Continuum for anyone who needs to use two apps simultaneously.

--JorgeA

'I thought my daughter clicked on ransomware – it was the d*mn Windows 10 installer'

I volunteer as a recorder with a Talking Newspaper charity for people with vision problems. Two weeks ago we were 30 minutes into a recording when, without any apparent warning, an announcement appeared that the system was going to upgrade to Windows 10 and we were told not to turn it off. I felt I had no option but to suspend our recording and the three of us simply had to wait for over an hour while the installer did its stuff.

It's still not clear how this happened. The part-time manager had previously clicked to opt out of the upgrade and that morning had declined an offer to upgrade. How did the upgrade start without prior warning?

I let my six-year-old play Minecraft on my gaming rig. She comes down an hour or so later, and tells me the computer screen says something about my files still being there. I think: "Oh crap! Did she click some type of ransomware link!?!"

I get up there and see I now have Windows 10. She clicked the d*mn pop-up.

--JorgeA

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

In other news, they've remove the wi-fi sharing feature;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/11/windows_10_build_14342_features/

Gone, however, is automatic Wi-Fi sharing with contacts, with Microsoft citing low uptake over cost of development.

Low uptake?, or because it was generally a bad idea and a security risk deplored by many when initially announced.

Don't piss in my pockets and tell me its raining.

Edited by ralcool
Grammar lesson

I've had a long tough day, but man, the misspellings are really getting to me for some reason...

Not being critical in any way, but these things sullied some otherwise clear and (very) pertinent messages...

"d*mned Windows 10 installer"

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

I really blame Microsoft for my level of frustration.  I've been fighting all day with Visual Studio in an attempt to get it to generate very efficient machine code for some key operations, then I come here and learn that the greatest goodness of the latest pre-releases is that they're abandoning "features" that were stupid anyway.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Making American computers "Great Again" seems to be the marketing position for products.  Why is it necessary to make American computers Great Again?  I thought that American computers were already Great.  Is there a false premise in the statement of making something Great Again implying that something that is already Great is not Great?  Windows 7 is Great.  Do you need Win 10 to show that American computers are not Great?  Oh, there is a lot of fun in computers and politics.  Impressions just keep getting deeper.

Edge's share of Windows 10 browsers continues slide

Microsoft's Edge browser has slipped to its smallest-ever percentage of Windows 10 in the U.S., according to data from a consortium of government websites.

edge-share-in-us-100660848-large.idge.jp

Looks like Microsoft has come up with another real winner. So far, anyway.

Other data sources showed a decline in Edge among Windows 10 owners as well. Irish metrics vendor StatCounter, for instance, pegged Edge's U.S. share -- the same demographic, more or less, that was tracked by DAP -- at 16.4% for April, a slight uptick from the previous low of March but down from the 18% at the end of 2015.

I would speculate that each uptick comes after a special push by Microsoft to foist Windows 10 on users, by hook or by crook.. Since Edge is the default browser, usage would rise after that push. But then Edge usage drops again as people decide they like their previous browser better and switch the default back to it.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
addition