Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

3 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

In 14332 it seems that all buttons has gone on apps -application; no close, resize or minmize is no more visible but function is still there....

QLxKRnI.png

I love how these issues are popping up between what are essentially service packs to the same operating system. Hell, I don't even think there were issues like this between 2000 and XP or all throughout Longhorn, in any publicly released build.

9 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

In 14332 it seems that all buttons has gone on apps -application; no close, resize or minmize is no more visible but function is still there....

QLxKRnI.png

That's odd -- I saw your screenshot in the notification e-mail, but not on the MSFN website itself.

Anyway, I wonder if the missing or hidden control buttons constitute not a "bug" (unintended) but actually a "feature" (intentional). Do you see the buttons on Win32 applications (as opposed to UWP "apps")?

--JorgeA

12 hours ago, JorgeA said:

That's odd -- I saw your screenshot in the notification e-mail, but not on the MSFN website itself.

Anyway, I wonder if the missing or hidden control buttons constitute not a "bug" (unintended) but actually a "feature" (intentional). Do you see the buttons on Win32 applications (as opposed to UWP "apps")?

--JorgeA

Yes all win32 application is intact; this is firefox:

TKKS4hj.png

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:37 AM, mikedigitize said:

QLxKRnI.png

Are you using ModernFrame.dll?  No part of Big Muscle's Aero Glass code works properly on the latest Win 10 builds as far as I know.  He hasn't updated it yet.

-Noel

@JorgeA

No comments needed to:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/28/delivering-personalized-search-experiences-in-windows-10-through-cortana/
Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage, we have seen some software programs circumvent the design of Windows 10 and redirect you to search providers that were not designed to work with Cortana. The result is a compromised experience that is less reliable and predictable. The continuity of these types of task completion scenarios is disrupted if Cortana can’t depend on Bing as the search provider and Microsoft Edge as the browser. The only way we can confidently deliver this personalized, end-to-end search experience is through the integration of Cortana, Microsoft Edge and Bing – all designed to do more for you.

Starting today, to ensure we can deliver the integrated search experience designed for Windows 10, Microsoft Edge will be the only browser that will launch when you search from the Cortana box.

Though I would like to highlight the basic assumption: 
Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage,:w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Didn't they get hammered by the Justice Department for just that kind of "design" at one point in the past?

Doesn't that need to happen again?

-Noel

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

@JorgeA

No comments needed to:

Though I would like to highlight the basic assumption: 
Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage,:w00t:

jaclaz

[OT}(silly new board software, it doesn't show you what jaclaz wrote in the proper context)[/OT]

Pretty funny quote selection there. :D

There is a question as to what MSFT's latest figure of 275 million actually represents. I read somewhere that they call it something like MAU for "Monthly Active Users", whatever that means.

One other thing about requiring Cortana searches to be done with Bing and Edge: what exactly is it about Edge that it, and it alone, is qualified to perform searches? Why not Internet Explorer? What is Edge doing in the background with our information that you're not telling us, Ryan Gavin?

Our promise to you is that Windows 10 will provide you with great search results and a personalized, reliable search experience through Cortana and Microsoft Edge. We will continue to work hard to provide you with the amazing experience you expect from Windows, while keeping you in control and helping you do great things.

OK then, keep me in control: let me turn off Web search completely when I use the search function. Don't tell me which search engine I must use when I click on that magnifying glass. Don't tell me which browser these searches will take place in. While you're at it, if the idea is to keep me in control -- then let me turn off the telemetry, let me use Aero Glass, and let me decide which Windows Updates will get installed on my PC. :realmad: If you have no intention of allowing any of this, then stop the B.S. about keeping me in control.

--JorgeA

I have to agree that Windows 10 has provided an "amazing experience" whether I expected it from Windows or not.  Yes, I've spent days being "amazed" by the years worth of "experience."

My promise to you, Microsoft, is that I will continue finding ways to EXPUNGE Cortana and Apps and strip Dave Cutler's good kernel of all the XAML BS your new kids keep trying to hang all over it.

The day that becomes impossible is the day I lose interest in Microsoft entirely.  You're already dangerously close to that.  Sure, I'm just another populant in a big world, but quite possibly one of the most rabidly interested ones, now (among many) turning away.

You may think that Cortana and Bing and Apps and cloud integration embody the value you're adding to Windows.  That's not value.  That's the same thing people for years sought out anti-malware software to block.  PUPs.  Programs that try to take over.  They're the antithesis of value.

And they're worth exactly what you're charging for the Windows 10 upgrade.

I would say "thanks for nothing", but you do not even deserve thanks for this.  You are ushering us OUT of the golden age of computing.

-Noel

On 2016-05-01 at 1:55 PM, NoelC said:

Are you using ModernFrame.dll?  No part of Big Muscle's Aero Glass code works properly on the latest Win 10 builds as far as I know.  He hasn't updated it yet.

-Noel

Well... I guess, maybe. I have ModernFrame in the AeroGlass folder, BUT  I can't remember if I put it there or... I think I just use the installer ..a looong time ago! I will leave it there, the chance is it will work in any of he realeses comming up.

/Mike

ps

Ok Noel, you were right. I remove that dll and the buttons areise, BUT the nice blue color on the namelist disapare in favor of a gray one (at least in settings)

ds

Edited by mikedigitize
update

... meanwhile in Palo Alto ...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10291/hp-unveils-premium-chromebook-3k-display-intel-core-m3-16-gb-of-ram-and-usbc

The HP Chromebook 13 sports a 13.3” IPS display with 3200×1800 resolution (QHD+), 170-degree viewing angles and 16:9 aspect ratio, which is good for multimedia applications and video. HP’s latest Chromebook comes in brushed anodized aluminum chassis, it is 12.9 mm thick and weighs 1.29 kilograms (2.86 pounds), which is thinner and lighter than Apple’s MacBook Air 13”. Despite the very high resolution screen, the laptop works up to 11.5 hours on one charge of its 45 Wh battery, according to the manufacturer.

:w00t:

jaclaz