Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Rave reviews from the critics!

• Underwhelming performance!
  • Does less than ever while managing more resources!
  • New unimproved!
  • Austerity meets cheap!
  • Takes us soundly out of yesteryear with an uninspired lack of grace!
  • Good!  Fast!  Cheap!  Pick only the last one.

-Noel

Well, this is just something else:

Windows-10-weather-768x434.jpg

Windows 10 interrupts a live TV broadcast with an unwanted upgrade

If you’re in Iowa you might have seen KCCI 8 News Meteorologist Metinka Slater’s thunderstorm update and warning of 12 hours of heavy rainfall interrupted by an unwelcome upgrade message covering up much of the radar screen. If you’re not in Iowa, or missed it, you can watch the amusing moment below.

"Microsoft recommends upgrade to Windows 10, what should I do?" a surprised Slater asked.

As always the annoying window offered two choices -- 'Upgrade now', or 'Start download, upgrade later'. Slater wisely chose neither option and switched to another video source instead.

BTW, since my experience with that message is nil... is there a way of dismissing/cancelling it without clicking either "Upgrade now" or "Start download, upgrade later"? Or, once it shows up, the only way to go is to redeploy a previous image?

Indeed, you would click on the X in the upper right corner. A lot of users wouldn't think to do that, it's not self-evident which is what makes Microsoft's method borderline malware.

--JorgeA

48 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Indeed, you would click on the X in the upper right corner. A lot of users wouldn't think to do that, it's not self-evident which is what makes Microsoft's method borderline malware.

Of course! It's just a common window! Thanks!
And then, on to remove KB3035583 (at the very least), of course!

Just in time for Microsoft to turn Windows into a phone OS:

IDC: Smartphone sales are flat lining, Samsung remains in first place

However, Microsoft and Apple are not alone in navigating a slowing trend among consumer purchases of smartphones. Today, IDC reports that rather than the incremental increases smartphone shipments have enjoyed for the past few quarters, the market has stalled across the board. While IDC does note that 334.9 million smartphones shipped worldwide last quarter and that the number represents a 0.2 percent increase from last year’s tally of 334.3 million, it’s also the lowest growth the industry has seen, ever.

--JorgeA

What would the architects think of NT now......

http://news.microsoft.com/features/the-engineers-engineer-computer-industry-luminaries-salute-dave-cutlers-five-decade-long-quest-for-quality/#sm.0000ss3ka84npeo0yys245hxkhmxl

Compatibility was king, yet new and amazing things happened.

Now Groove music (in the latest beta Windows build), might crash if used within 2minutes of login...... WTF? Groove, Zune... more rubbish with loaded acronyms and limitations like DRM, and even smells as similar and short lived as real Bull****.

Loved both articles on the 'Live' update on the weather channel, and the new and unimproved Ink App attempting to replace the actually useful snipping tool.

The golden days are over.

And amazingly, Win 10 runs quite nicely IF...  You remove anything that's new or even relatively new.  The kernel runs, the Win32 subsystem supports applications.  There's even a fair bit of compatibility, assuming you're willing to look at your nice applications through the lens of the Ultra Sucky desktop "[lack of] theme".

The older things have apparently been essentially "hands off" for the current crop of Microsoft programmers.

And that is a Very Good Thing.

-Noel

Microsoft pulls the straitjacket tighter on users:

Cortana now restricted to Edge and Bing: It’s the clicks, stupid

Microsoft ends Cortana’s default browser work-a-round, restricts results to Edge browser

Microsoft pulls another boner -- blocks Chrome and Google from Cortana on Windows 10

Holy cow, Microsoft makes it really hard to recommend its products lately. Windows 10 was a great way to wash the disgusting Windows 8 taste from consumers' mouths -- initially, at least. Unfortunately, the discovered privacy issues frightened many folks, causing them to delay upgrading.

The latest build has a wonderfully refreshed Start Menu, making me think that the company was back on track. Nope; I was wrong. Today, Microsoft announces an anti-competitive bombshell -- it is blocking all third party browsers and search engines from Cortana. Prefer using Chrome and Google? Tough luck. Firefox and Yahoo? Sorry.

Note the paternalistic attitude taken by MSFT's Search and Cortana chief:

Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage we have seen some software programs circumvent the design of Windows 10 and redirect you to search providers that were not designed to work with Cortana. The result is a compromised experience that is less reliable and predictable. The continuity of these types of task completion scenarios is disrupted if Cortana can’t depend on Bing as the search provider and Microsoft Edge as the browser. The only way we can confidently deliver this personalized, end-to-end search experience is through the integration of Cortana, Microsoft Edge, and Bing -- all designed to do more for you.

Thank you, but I'm not interested in Microsoft knowing me or keeping track of my searches. Just leave me the %&*# alone! :realmad:

And yes, I do want a personalized experience -- meaning, one where I can set my own d*mn default applications, limit Search to my own PC, and disable Cortana. But you have no intention of letting me personalize my PC that much, do you?

--JorgeA

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

The older things have apparently been essentially "hands off" for the current crop of Microsoft programmers.

And that is a Very Good Thing.

I can only imagine what would happen if the new programmers had access to that:

Recently we took a long and hard look at what makes Windows work. In doing so, we discovered many legacy holdovers from previous, inferior eras and we were embarrassed with what we found. In the next update, we will fix these wrongdoings once and for all. Here is some insight to what we're calling "Windows 10 Enhancement Update"

• Depreciation of outdated subsystems: We decided that the Win32 subsystem is no longer used and is just taking up precious space that could be used by your Apps and Media. With the "Windows 10 Enhancement Update" you will finally get all of that space back.
  • New Driver Model: The driver model we're currently using, WDM, has been around in some form since 1998. That is far too long. With "Windows 10 Enhancement Update" We will finally release a new, totally backwards-incompatible driver model designed with today's needs in mind. Again, please note that all previous drivers will not work, but we're giving hardware manufacturers a three month warning, so all devices should be good to go when "W10 EU" gets released.
  • Single-User Mode: In keeping up with the latest computing trends, such as Android and iPhone, we will also remove the "multiple user accounts" feature. We realize that modern computer users don't use it and it's just a waste of space.
  • Permanently hidden directories: We realized that we are being left behind by our competition. We're the only ones that still let the user view and modify the system and application directories. With "Windows 10 Enhancement Update" we will restrict access permanently to the Windows and Program Files (which will soon be renamed "Like, Apps!") directories.
  • Depreciation of legacy processor architectures: When Windows was first created a long, long, time ago, it was designed with the Intel x86 processor in mind. Well, that was over 30 years ago and a lot of things change in that period of time. Maintaining support for these architectures from release to release takes away time from Microsoft engineers, which should be allocated to design and build better Apps, just for you. With "Windows 10 Enhancement Update", We decided that it is finally time to depreciate the x86 and x86_64 processor architectures and focus solely on the far superior ARM. hardware manufacturers are already out making ARM-based tablets, cell phones and all-in-ones. Of course, this will prevent the newest build from running on all legacy computers, but don't worry, they will still get the update. On first boot, they will be alerted that their computer is no longer supported, and will be greeted with a smiley face and a list of addresses and phone numbers for the closest computer stores to buy a replacement.

We hope that by removing all of this legacy cruft that the user's experience will be enhanced. and that we will progress into the 21st century ahead of our competition.