Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Making a separate post, but connected to the news on new features of Windows 10 (the cool, 1337 ones):
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2016/04/microsoft-adds-qr-codes-to-bsods-in-new-windows-10-preview-build/

Bolding is mine ;)

jaclaz

This could actually be a useful feature if they actually finish implementing it. One time I had a BSOD and, after rebooting, went to look it up. I found a guy who had a similar problem and posted it on the MS Answers forum. A Microsoft Expert suggested that he capture a screenshot of the BSOD.  :unsure:

--JorgeA

P.S. What a pain it is that embedded quotes no longer show up when we're quoting a post: the context is lost and the reader has to go looking for the post that's being "quoted".

Edited by JorgeA
comment on IPS software

PC sales plunge further, as Windows 10 and Skylake CPUs fail to inspire upgrades

The money quote:

“There was no particular motivation for U.S. consumers to purchase PCs in the first quarter of 2016,” said Mikako Kitagawa, the principal PC analyst at Gartner, in a statement.

The commenters are generally not impressed with Win10:

I've used Windows 10 on one of my machines since last year and I have to say it is awful.  I keep it around so I can test software on it, but I'd never use it day-to-day.  I'm hoping a big competitor to Microsoft will come out with a Windows compatible product for people to upgrade to from Windows 7 since clearly Microsoft is incapable of producing a decent OS any longer.

--JorgeA

5 hours ago, JorgeA said:

A Microsoft Expert suggested that he capture a screenshot of the BSOD.  :unsure:

A self-proclaimed Microsoft Expert, of course:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/127283-experts-say/

The actual STOP ERROR is enough in 90% of cases and in the rest one needs the actual following hex numbers, no need for a freaking screenshot.
jaclaz

New Windows 10 Cumulative Update! This bumps up the build number to 10586.218. Time to restart those PCs :P

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

• Improved reliability for Internet Explorer 11, .NET Framework, wireless LAN, Microsoft Edge, Windows Update, logon, Bluetooth, network connectivity, map apps, video playback, Cortana, USB, Windows Explorer, and Narrator.
  • Fixed issue with connectivity of USB devices until OS restart.
  • Improved discoverability of printers when a device resumes from sleep.
  • Fixed issues with lock screen.
  • Support for visual voicemail on dual SIM phones.
  • Fixed issue with audio playback using Groove music and other music apps on a phone.
  • Fixed issue with revised daylight savings time.
  • Fixed additional issues with shutdown delays, Narrator, Cortana, roaming data usage, buying apps in the Store, video playback, facial recognition, Bluetooth pairing, Microsoft Edge, logon, Internet Explorer 11, Live Tile updates, .NET Framework, and Microsoft Installer (MSI).
  • Improved security for CSRSS to address security feature bypass.
  • Fixed additional security issues with Security Account Manager Remote Protocol, HTTP.sys, secondary logon, Microsoft Graphics component, .NET Framework, CSRSS, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.

As expected, another vague changelog.

Wasn't NoelC trying to test the max ammount of uptime he could achieve on his Windows 10 VM? How was that going? This is the longest gap we had between cumulative updates (over a month)...

53 minutes ago, xper said:

Please post this kind of news in Technology forum. This way news get deep buried. If you want, of course :-)

Thanks for adding the "if you want" part. It wouldn't be appropriate to include the ":P" in a Technology forum news item, no?  :angel  That's makes the post more suited to this thread.

That said, it is a good idea to post "straight news" items (without commentary ;) ) in the Technology forum, and I'll start doing that.

--JorgeA

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

How exactly does this apply for a computer?

Evidently, Microsoft now expects that you'll be using a phone.

The 3% phone market-share tail keeps wagging the 90% desktop market-share dog.

--JorgeA

All right, now here's a real reason :rolleyes: to make the switch to Windows 10:

Ninjacat emoji coming to Windows 10 anniversary update – and some new Ninjacat wallpaper while you wait

Can't wait for these, sign me up!!! Track and monitor me all you want, tell me how to run my machine -- just give me new emojis!!  Ooooohhh boy!

Idiocracy is truly approaching, and much faster than the movie envisioned. What better evidence of the creeping cretinization of Windows (or perhaps more accurately, of its intended audience) than this "feature"?!?  <sigh>

--JorgeA

9 hours ago, xper said:

Please post this kind of news in Technology forum. This way news get deep buried. If you want, of course :-)

The main point of my post wasn't to display the news. More to display the vagueness of the update's changelog, and take a jab at the forced updates thingy Windows 10 has going on for it.

Besides, I don't know if anybody would want to discuss this in there... This seemed like the appropiate place to post this :)

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:35 AM, rn10950 said:

I highly doubt that Win32 will disappear anytime soon, if anything UWP will disappear long before Win32 will.

Anyone remember the Windows Live Gallery?  Gadgets?

Things that actually work and do useful stuff generally survive, but...

On the other hand, humans in powerful positions are not immune to doing stupid, irreversible things...  Microsoft could just continue on their current path and do to computing the equivalent of the destruction of the library in Alexandria...

-Noel

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

Anyone remember the Windows Live Gallery?  Gadgets?

Things that actually work and do useful stuff generally survive, but...

On the other hand, humans in powerful positions are not immune to doing stupid, irreversible things...  Microsoft could just continue on their current path and do to computing the equivalent of the destruction of the library in Alexandria...

-Noel

I sure remember Windows Gadgets! I've got some on every Vista and Win7 system that I own.

Microsoft started advising users to remove them right around the time that they were launching Windows 8. I have always been skeptical of the timing, as if it were designed to make the Windows 7 desktop look static and boring in comparison to the live tiles on the Metro Start Screen that was just coming out.

BTW, it's good to see you, NoelC.  :)

--JorgeA

I remember the Gadgets from Vista did not know they are still in 7. Are they still restricted to the Windows Side bar? I liked them mostly because they looked clean and crisp and felt like they matched the UI of the system.

Microsoft Says Secret Data Requests Are Now The Norm, Sues U.S. Government

"... Microsoft, which is now a major cloud services provider, has become increasingly worried at how many of the data requests from the U.S. government are accompanied by gag orders. Once a gag order is served, the company can no longer notify its users about the warrants it received for their data.

The company believes that the U.S. government is using the increasing popularity of cloud services as a way to skirt around the Fourth Amendment, which gives people the right to know when the government searches or seizes their property. Microsoft also believes that these gag orders violate the First Amendment, which guarantees the company the right to talk to its customers ..."