Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Now you see it, now you don't:

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge

One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Edge won’t have native ad blocking but will support third party extensions

There were reports yesterday that Microsoft’s new web browser, Microsoft Edge, would include native ad blocking. Despite documentation that seemed to state that relatively clearly, it is not the case. Jacob Rossi, an engineer for Microsoft Edge, clarified how ad blocking will work within Microsoft Edge.

Ad blocking will be available, but it will be through third party extensions such as Adblock and Adblock Plus, not natively built into the browser.

--JorgeA

53 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

I second that motion!!

So that we will have some more non or much less useful Win32 programs, sure.

I was almost about getting a Windows 10 machine to have handy usesful apps such as "Photo Uploader for Facebook" or "EMOJI STICKERS : for whatsapp, facebook, twitter".

It would be good to have them on an older Windows OS. :whistle:

jaclaz

12 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

So that we will have some more non or much less useful Win32 programs, sure.

I was almost about getting a Windows 10 machine to have handy usesful apps such as "Photo Uploader for Facebook" or "EMOJI STICKERS : for whatsapp, facebook, twitter".

It would be good to have them on an older Windows OS. :whistle:

jaclaz

From a strategic standpoint, getting UWP apps ported over to Win32 would be immensely preferable to the current push, which is to port Win32 applications over to UWP. The latter tends to diminish interest in Win32, while the former would diminish interest in UWP. From our perspective, which of these results is preferable?  :)

Of course, @greenhillmaniac doubtlessly meant his remark in jest (there's little prospect of that actually happening), and I took it in the same spirit.

--JorgeA

44 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Of course, @greenhillmaniac doubtlessly meant his remark in jest (there's little prospect of that actually happening), and I took it in the same spirit.

Of course, just like I was joking about the *need* or *fancy* for the mentioned apps, I hope that noone took me - even if for a nano-second - seriously.

jaclaz

But on a more serious note, it would be nice to convert Modern Apps into Win32 programs (notice the distinction I made beetwen apps and programs). It would be especially useful for UWP games, the only apps that might interest anybody (I'm talking Gears of War and the upcoming Quantum Break and Forza Apex, not mobile crap). Converting them to Win32 binaries would allow modding and other PC Gaming related tweaks. It would also allow the preservation of such games, either through tweaks to make them work on future hardware, or backing up the game files, because we all know what happens to online distributed games when companies decide to pull the plug...

Edited by greenhillmaniac

KB2952664 seems to be acting more and more like malware:

Not to long ago I saw the KB3035583 update was offered again. I promptly hid it along with the other KB3035583 that was already hidden. Because of one of your recent articles about KB3035583 and KB2952664 I decided to search my installed windows updates to see if either one was there. I was surprised to see that KB2952664 was. I promptly uninstalled it for a second time, then hid it again when it appeared in the available updates. A few days later while checking on another update, I happened to see that KB2952664 showed in the installed updates, again. After another google search I found that there were a lot of other people who were in the same situation I was in. It seems that anytime the update was uninstalled, it automatically reinstalled itself almost instantly.

--JorgeA

Now it's not only Microsoft's campaign to push Windows 10 on users that's becoming increasingly aggressive, but also the company's efforts to tie users in to Microsoft services. A writer to Woody's blog says:

Woody, you probably know that Office Home and Business when “pre-installed” on computers no longer has the actual software; just a link to let you download it from MS. You are now forced to create a Microsoft Live account to download Office. So now I have to create a dummy email account for each of my people. That was bad enough, but I was setting up a new computer last week and the download gave a cryptic failure error on the web page with the advice to call MS support. I called the rep–a miserable experience of its own–and discovered that the problem was because I was attempting to download Office using Firefox. The rep informed me that you now must use IE or Edge, and you must have selected “Use Preferred Settings” rather than preventing the browser from sending unwanted personal information…otherwise you can’t install Office. And they wonder why their reputation has reached rock bottom and started digging?

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
added hyperlink

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

Now it's not only Microsoft's campaign to push Windows 10 on users that's becoming increasingly aggressive, but also the company's efforts to tie users in to Microsoft services. A writer to Woody's blog says:

Woody, you probably know that Office Home and Business when “pre-installed” on computers no longer has the actual software; just a link to let you download it from MS. You are now forced to create a Microsoft Live account to download Office. So now I have to create a dummy email account for each of my people. That was bad enough, but I was setting up a new computer last week and the download gave a cryptic failure error on the web page with the advice to call MS support. I called the rep–a miserable experience of its own–and discovered that the problem was because I was attempting to download Office using Firefox. The rep informed me that you now must use IE or Edge, and you must have selected “Use Preferred Settings” rather than preventing the browser from sending unwanted personal information…otherwise you can’t install Office. And they wonder why their reputation has reached rock bottom and started digging?

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

US v. Microsoft, anybody?

Edited by rn10950

10 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Well it is not entirely accurate that it has "no software" ... there are currently 2 different pre-install methods for Office 2016:
- Office 2013 v15.4 is pre-installed. This version of Office 2013 that could unlock Office 2013 product keys, or if you put in an Office 2016 product key it would download 2016 and remove 2013.
- Office 2016 pre-installs and identifies itself as Office 365 but most of the bits are there. Updates to 2016 were available by the time this one would be used and after you activate, it would automatically download the update before you could begin to use it.

Now one big thing with Office 2016 is that to activate you must have a Microsoft Account. When you activate, the product key gets assigned to the account. This causes trouble for anyone who would want to use Office on a computer with no internet access.

On 31.03.2016. at 11:06 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

But on a more serious note, it would be nice to convert Modern Apps into Win32 programs

why ?
metro "apps" are downgraded in functionality comparing to win32

Brad Sams (formerly of Neowin) was a guest recently on Windows Weekly. He and Leo Laporte had the following illuminating exchange about the Windows Store (discussion starts at 1:28:00):

Brad: ...But the Windows Store is not all it's cracked up to be right now.

Leo: Is that 'cause it has to be XAML, is that a limitation in the platform?

Brad: it's gotta fit in the Framework, right?

Leo: Right.

Brad: And the Universal Windows Platform -- I've heard this from several developers -- are relatively underpowered for what they are. So I think Microsoft -- I'm really hoping we hear at Build that the Universal Windows Platform is a big performance buff and all that, because if you think about it, why? Here's a perfect example: Trip Advisor just came out and Microsoft made a huge kerfuffle about Trip Advisor coming to the Windows Store. but I can also go to Trip Advisor on the desktop, Tripadvisor.com, and you get more features, more reviews -- it's a better experience in the browser, why would I buy that app, or pay to download that app?

I mean, that's a whole different conversation than the games, but they need to do some improvements on what those apps can do. Spotify is another great example, or any other app: why would you buy or go through the Windows Store when you can just download the EXE classic Win32 app that gives you more features, you know it's going to be supported. Granted, it's not going to show up on your phone for the 1% that has it, but...

[...]

Leo: But you know what, the Store is fine for casual gaming, for Solitaire, Candy Crush Soda, stuff like that -- it's not for hard-core gamers.

--JorgeA