Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

Why would they apologize?  IMO, as far as the folks in Redmond are concerned things are measured in absolutes.  Try the following on and see if it does not seem to fit their actions:

"If you're not with us, then you're against us."

Another mindset that IMO also helps explain their actions seems to be:

"We know best, and you cannot possibly do anything but screw your computer up.  Therefore anything that fails must be YOUR fault.  Your expectations are wrong - here, let us help you with that."

Screen-Shot-2016-02-29-at-15.00.01.png

Bugs are cool.  And did anyone notice that's a Monarch caterpillar?  With no clothes on?

-Noel

The formula for success in business has always included the motto that "the customer is always right."

With Windows 8, Microsoft refashioned that stance toward the customer into a middle-finger salute. Having been burned by the response to that OS, now with Windows 10 they've doubled down, offering a dual middle-finger salute to the customer.

We'll see how well that goes. They have no more hands to add to their hostile attitude.

Nice image BTW. I should blow it up into a poster and tack it onto the Microsoft display at the computer store.  :)

--JorgeA

The Register - How Microsoft copied malware techniques to make Get Windows 10 the world's PC pest

"... The language of the counter-malware industry is more appropriate than the language of enterprise IT for GWX.

GWX subverts a channel intended for one purpose (security hotfixes) for another (advertising); it changes its “attack vectors”, it “conceals itself” kinda like a rootkit; it uses “polymorphic” techniques; and it consistently overrides users' actions and permissions ..."

(Sorry if my posts look weird, the new interface of this forum is completely useless)

Edited by TELVM

So far I got up to build 14279 without hick ups but for the past 24 hours it's this message I get;  " • Windows 10 Insider Preview 14291 - Error 0x80240031"  !! This on a hp dv6000. Since my pointing device never worked in any of windows apps (uwa) I suspected something like this could happen. NOT to talk about that the updates stopped arrived to my insider lumia 532, at 10.0.10586.11 back in dec -15 and a lot of fanboys promise me that it must be me doing something wrong...

4 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Nice image BTW. I should blow it up into a poster and tack it onto the Microsoft display at the computer store.  :)

That's not my doing - it's from a current Microsoft TV commercial.

-Noel

21 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

NOT to talk about that the updates stopped arrived to my insider lumia 532, at 10.0.10586.11 back in dec -15 and a lot of fanboys promise me that it must be me doing something wrong...

[fanboy hat]Could there be any doubt, but that it's YOUR fault Windows 10 isn't working right? NOTHING ever goes wrong in Windows 10, it's always something that the ignorant user did to mess it up!!!

Surely, by now you must realize that Microsoft is beyond (way beyond) criticism. They only have our best interests at heart, so we need to stop annoying them and let them go on with their noble work.[/fanboy hat]

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

People who didn't take the advice given in the previous post :) have scored a small victory:

Microsoft relents, extending support for Skylake PCs with older Windows versions

Microsoft said Friday that it tweaked its support options for customers who want to run the latest Intel “Skylake” processors on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Microsoft will extend its specialized support options for a year and offer more updates to those customers when its specialized support period expires.

Now, the support period for Windows 7/8.1 on Skylake will end a year later than its previous target, on July 17, 2018. After that, Microsoft said all critical security updates will be targeted for Skylake systems until extended support ends, a softening of the “most critical” language Microsoft used previously.

--JorgeA

I can only imagine the phone call to Nadella's office from a VP...

"Hey Boss, you know that big enterprise customer, Xyzzy, who buys 10 million licenses for Windows for their multinational corporation...  You're not going to believe this, but they're threatening to go to Linux if we reneg on support for their new SkyLake systems..."

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On 18/03/2016 at 10:19 AM, NoelC said:

I have had the tasks in question Disabled on my Win 7 and 8.1 systems since last September.  I don't see problems in general with events getting into my event logs, though no Windows Defender events show up there.  It's not failing to update, though...

That's a good sign. Maybe the guy who experience a problem had something particular to his system going on.

--JorgeA

The headline doesn't sound terribly relevant, but check out the quote:

Stop! Before you accept that Windows 10 Mobile upgrade, read this

As you can see. I suspect Microsoft has kept the Mobile platform alive not because it thinks it can win the smartphone war – it's already conceded that – but because of the threat of desktop Android. Which is coming along faster than you think – see our hands on with Remix OS.

If tablets are to be the computing device for the next billion internet users, and almost all of those tablets run a multiwindow, multiasking, Android, Microsoft begins to run out of road for its endless reshuffles and strategy shifts. Keeping a lean, mean ARM version of Windows handy keeps it in the game.

The problem with this argument is that the tablet market is stagnant if not declining, so that doesn't sound like much of a threat. The only growth area seems to be in phones, which as the writer notes Microsoft has already conceded.

The bottom line: there is no remaining rationale for incorporating mobile elements into Windows 10. All we have left is Microsoft's "endless reshuffles and strategy shifts."

If they want to do apps for MS Office, they can well do them in Android and iOS.

--JorgeA

I'm sure some executives think the Universal Windows Platform App environment is relevant for desktops too.

It's no less than cranial rectalitis.

The glimmer of encouragement / hope I got from the above is that Google is pushing an operating system alternative.  If anyone could create a Unix-based OS that can run Win32 applications, Google people could probably pull it off.  I'm not sure I'm happy with the comment about China being where the talent pool is, though.

In any case, competition will always bring good things to customers.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Still works here.

Be persistent.  Try another browser.  Find a way to get a copy so you can see it - it's worth it, and expresses what Windows 10 has become exactly.

-Noel