Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

31 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Here is the "known issue" on technet:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d52d01d3-d1db-42d1-9bf3-fe936739720f/windows-10-taskbar-issues-build-rs1release-14271-enterprise?forum=win10itprogeneral

If you set to display all notification icons and more than 4 tray icons, it breaks the UI.

One of the replys:  "....This has carried over to the 14279 build of Win10 too.   This does not seem like a "bug" to me.   It looks like they are trying to implement a "scroll bar" for the notification area and this is an early version of it.   Whatever it is, it is annoying.   Please fix this MS!..."

On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 at 11:24 PM, NoelC said:

Arguable?  You don't see the OBVIOUS improvement in the new application on the left?  What's wrong with you?

TaskManagers.png

:angel

the_emperor__s_new_clothes_i_by_roweig.j

-Noel

Looks like at least one of my posts got lost in the IPB update. I remember distinctly replying to this post.

Anyway, that was pretty funny.  ;)

--JorgeA

A victim of MicroBorg assimilation declares:

Microsoft knows what's best for you -- stop fighting Windows 10

Nothing from the article itself worth quoting here, but he gets rightly skewered in the comments. My favorite one, though, isn't a criticism of the article but a set of observations about Windows 10 that closely tracks my own views --

There are 3 BIG "issues" with Windows 10,and no one (including me) will touch this OS until they are resolved... 1) Telemetry needs to be optional and defaulted to OFF 2) Better control over built in components (ability to disable Windows Defender...ability for EVERYONE to delay updates,not just enterprise) 3) Fix the UI,things like seeing OneDrive in the Explorer context menu and notification area while using a local account is just plain stupid,it should only appear when using a Microsoft Account,remove the ribbon and try to add a little bit of depth,it doesn't even have to be full-on Windows 7 depth,just at least try and make an effort to find a nice middle ground.

:thumbup

--JorgeA

Well, same user as your quote made an even (IMHO) better post:

Because nobody is paying us to be a beta tester.Most people have important things to do on their PC,important work... we don't have time to be writing love notes to Microsoft.

jaclaz

38 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

A victim of MicroBorg assimilation declares:

Microsoft knows what's best for you -- stop fighting Windows 10

Nothing from the article itself worth quoting here, but he gets rightly skewered in the comments. My favorite one, though, isn't a criticism of the article but a set of observations about Windows 10 that closely tracks my own views --

:thumbup

--JorgeA

One of the common themes I've been seeing in the comment sections of these articles is "OS X and Linux are forcing upgrades automatically, so why can't Microsoft?" There are two issues with that: first, they're not pushing updates with nearly the same force as MS is doing with Win10, some Linux distros don't even push updates automatically, and the ones that do can be turned off (the great thing about Linux is control over almost everything) and second, even if OS X and Linux are pushing updates like this, it doesn't justify Microsoft doing so. If all your friends are on top of the George Washington bridge about to jump, does that mean that you are going to as well?

25 minutes ago, rn10950 said:

One of the common themes I've been seeing in the comment sections of these articles is "OS X and Linux are forcing upgrades automatically, so why can't Microsoft?" There are two issues with that: first, they're not pushing updates with nearly the same force as MS is doing with Win10, some Linux distros don't even push updates automatically, and the ones that do can be turned off (the great thing about Linux is control over almost everything) and second, even if OS X and Linux are pushing updates like this, it doesn't justify Microsoft doing so. If all your friends are on top of the George Washington bridge about to jump, does that mean that you are going to as well?

Which versions of Linux are said to be forcing updates automatically? I've used Zorin OS and Netrunner, and neither of them forced the user to install new updates.

--JorgeA

28 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Which versions of Linux are said to be forcing updates automatically? I've used Zorin OS and Netrunner, and neither of them forced the user to install new updates.

--JorgeA

The only one I can think of is Chrome OS, but that doesn't really count. Honestly, the Linux argument was made up by Metrotards just to "justify" MS' actions, but it really has no grounding in fact. I just brought it up because that is what these comments say. Most versions of Linux do present updates in pop-up form, closely resembling the old Windows Update model, but you can decline these if you wish. (Ubuntu does this)

Edited by rn10950
added info about update prompts

36 minutes ago, rn10950 said:

The only one I can think of is Chrome OS, but that doesn't really count. Honestly, the Linux argument was made up by Metrotards just to "justify" MS' actions, but it really has no grounding in fact. I just brought it up because that is what these comments say. Most versions of Linux do present updates in pop-up form, closely resembling the old Windows Update model, but you can decline these if you wish. (Ubuntu does this)

Yes, pop-up notifications are what I remember from using Linux, and then only when I first boot into the OS. But no forced updates. AFAIK, any 'tards saying otherwise are indeed pulling it out of their a**es.

That's not to say that no such version of Linux exists (there IS a lot of variety in that universe), but it's far from being standard practice in the penguin community, and to say that "Linux does forced updates too" would be a gross misrepresentation.

--JorgeA

A follow-up on the recent statements by the founder of Epic Games:

Tim Sweeney thinks Win32 apps are better for consumers than Microsoft’s UWP

After summarizing the history of programs on Windows PCs and admitting that everyone on Microsoft’s side have been nothing but professional and courteous, Sweeney pinpoints exactly what his concerns are; He’s just not happy with the extra steps required to submit a modern Windows 10 app to the Windows Store for approval when compared to the old-fashioned win32-style programs which could be uploaded to any website and installed by anyone without any security checks.

“Is this open? You be the judge,” he says of Microsoft’s stance that the Windows 10 app store is still open. “It’s certainly a departure from the win32 precedent, in which any developer can compile a program, put it on a web site, and any user can install or run it by downloading and clicking on it.”

--JorgeA

Domained PCs getting the forced W10 treatment:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042397/microsoft-windows/admins-beware-domain-attached-pcs-are-sprouting-get-windows-10-ads.html

I want Steve Ballmer back. All is forgiven. Give me metro over scammer behavior any time.

Nadella is straight from the Nigerian scam artists school. He's not even stopping at pestering their business consumers, something MS always held sacrosanct.

Has Nadella written a book or some personal public memos or something like that? I would love to read that to get a glimpse at his persona.

It takes a special kind of as***** personality to pull these things off towards your clients.

14 minutes ago, 351837 said:

This one really takes the cake:

Thing is, Windows 10 won’t accept my password. It keeps telling me my password is wrong. It’s definitely not wrong, Windows! (My password is secured in a 1Password database.) I even reset the password once or twice, hoping it would flip a switch. This appears to be a common problem with Windows 10, and one solution I came across recommended that I re-install Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 again, and see if that fixes it.

(emphasis added)

Just unbelievable.

--JorgeA