Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Brother Windows XP almost identical to todays mordern operating system.

Windows 10 apis can be implimented easily in xp.

if you have knowledge in reverse enginearing you can do anything.

Grab some tools like IDA pro , visual studio, cff explorer , diassembler and what not , you can easiliy impliment apis in kernal base(kerenal32.dll) and other.

The *what not* is particularly hard to find around here. :w00t:

Really Dibya, notwithstanding what you have seen your friends do or what you managed to do yourself :) in the field of reverse engineering and new windows versions api implementing in XP, you might want to check the dictionary for "easily":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/easily

and while you are at it also for impliment, enginearing and kerenal:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/implement

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/engineering

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kernel

You can easily better your spelling this way. ;)

jaclaz

hahaha

Microsoft needs to stop forcing console-like restrictions on Windows Store PC games

"... Quantum Break would only be available for Windows 10 via the Windows Store, and only run under DirectX 12, there's been something of an uproar in the PC gaming community. Along with lamenting the cessation of support for the likes of Windows 7, of course — a sadly inevitable decision given Microsoft's aggressive push of its latest OS — there are also some incredibly steep recommended system requirements, which call for a Core i5, Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 390, and 16GB of system memory ..."

"... the company's one-platform-fits-all approach simply isn't going to fly on PC. The PC community has its own rules and expectations. Forcing console-like restrictions on a group that values freedom was never going to end well. And now, with those people backed into a corner with Quantum Break—one of this year's most highly anticipated games—the backlash is only going to get bigger."

To quote admiral Ackbar the wise:

Admiral-Ackbar-Its-A-Trap.jpg

Unfortunatly, Microsoft seems to be leveraging the Windows Store as its only distribution method for their new and upcoming games, and not only is the Windows Store buggy, but the UWP is MORE LIMITING, compared to the regular Win32 games we've had in the last 30 years:

- No VSync - all UWP games are windowed fullscreen

- No access to game's executables - so... Microsoft controls their games? no mods or anything?!

- No 3rd party overlays - again, no freedom?

- No SLI or Crossfire

The PC Gaming market needs competition from Steam, but this is not competition. This is bruteforcing. Holding games ransom so people will adopt a platform is not going to make them start using your service! Look at Origin and UPlay!

Speakin' of the store (which I have banished from my systems)...

Going through my event logs as I sometimes do, I see that there's still a small part of it trying to run, and I'm trying to figure out why...

Specifically, in the Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Store-Client-UI event log, I see events a few times a day that imply a small vestige of the store is still running.

WSStore.png

I've been through the task scheduler lists, and I don't think it's starting from there.

A look through the loaded modules reveals Explorer is the one with WSShared.dll loaded (not surprising I guess).

I don't think WSShared.dll is actually able to do anything, as the Windows Store App is removed entirely, and I've verified no online comms are occurring - but it still bothers me that the system is occasionally trying to start it.  Any ideas what to tweak to stop even this much from running?  Probably an Explorer registry setting...  Thing is, as it only seems to happen once or a few times a day, it's tough to trace.

-Noel

ultimately I don't think there is such a thing as privacy online. I believe all you can do is limit the damage so to speak (by setting up firewalls, dns servers, editing host file anything that has previously been talked about above) In the end there are an unlimited and unknown amount of ways your privacy can be impacted.

I have a question for anyone who has used the Windows store lately did they ever fix searching for apps? last time I attempted to use it on my test vm it was atrocious. 

.. this is not competition. This is bruteforcing. Holding games ransom so people will adopt a platform is not going to make them start using your service! ...

It's clear that those at the helm of Microborg think otherwise.

They believe that they can rape the vast majority of the market with impunity, and that their victims will just bow down submissively and enjoy the ride.

And unfortunately, hundreds of millions apparently do.  People are getting downright stupid about technology.  You'd think it would go the other way, but nooooo...

-Noel

No. People are getting downright stupid period. Because all the knowledge is being transferred to devices that are supposed to control the humans 24/7. Because robots never lie, robots are never late, robots are never emotional about anything, robots never fail. Well, until they're plugged out. And then humanity will die because they'll be too stupid to survive. Game over.

I don't want to too rely on the cloud I like it has a backup, but I don't leave my data and security in others hands. Who know who owns/controls the servers. Most of the stuff I keep online are scripts and installers or other data I may need for working on systems most of that can be found on the web, but is just easier to have in skydrive.

You know you can have your own computer online to serve whatever files you like, and use things like USB drives for backup, right?

With the proper prep, it's possible to fairly securely set up Windows RDP so that you can remotely control a system, say at home, and get to your files via TSClient shared drives.  I can log in to mine even via an iPad running RDP software (though the screen is pretty small).

There are those who say the cloud can be convenient, and that can't be denied.  If giving up security and privacy for convenience feels like a good idea, I say go for it!  It really is nice to just be able to easily access your files from anywhere. 

Of course, once remote access is set up doing it on your own can be convenient too...  Just sayin'...

-Noel

I'm not sure that we covered this specific news item before:

The cumulative update not only knocks out PCs' default settings, it prevents users from resetting them

If you have Chrome as the default browser on your Windows 10 computer, you'd better check to make sure Microsoft didn't hijack it last week and set Edge as your new default. The same goes for any PDF viewer: A forced cumulative update also reset PDF viewing to Edge on many PCs.

Do you use IrfanView, Acdsee, Photoshop Express, or Elements? The default photo app may have been reset to -- you guessed it -- the Windows Photos app. Music? Video? Microsoft may have swooped down and changed you over to Microsoft Party apps, all in the course of last week's forced cumulative update KB 3135173 .

Woody's comment:

How many times does this have to happen before Microsoft separates security and non-security patches, and give us tools to block or delay patches? As long as Microsoft's patching bugs are relatively minor, there's little incentive to give us the tools we need. The day we get a really bad, crippling patch, there'll be tar and feathers.

--JorgeA

There's also the western digital home cloud system. It's a WiFi hard drive you keep at home and only you access

Kel, you cannot really use "WiFi" and "only you access" in a same sentence :no:

;)

jaclaz

So THAT'S why I removed all the Apps.  They can't take over if they're not there!

And - for those who would insist on keeping and using Apps - if it's a bug, why are there "NoOpenWith" registry values that can be set to prevent it from happening?

A bug that unfairly competes with other software you may have purchased and downloaded?  Where is the DoJ?

-Noel