Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I was more directed toward techies and nerdies who investigate, patch, and do all kinda stuff to disable that monster

hence "why bother"

And from the outside, this could even be counterproductive. :w00t::ph34r:

The more people provide ways (like ClassicShell, Aeroglass, various tweaks, service disabling, etc.) that allow people to make their Windows 10 if not good at least bearable, the less the good MS guys will have a reason to do something to better it.

I mean, let us assume that out of 100 Windows 10 users:

1 actually - and in good faith - likes it

9 are MS fanboys and will like whatever the MS good guys release

5 know enough to tweak it into a bearable (almost) experience and they actually tweak it

13 know enough to tweak it into a bearable (almost) experience but they cannot actually tweak it (corporate policies and what not)

25 don't know enough to experiment and make tweaks by themselves but can use the already made programs or follow the available instructions

20 don't bother to tweak it

27 do understand how bad the abomination is and hate it but are not expert enough to tweak it or to use another OS (for whatever reason)

MS could legitimately say that 1+9+5+13+25+20=73 people out of 100 are using the OS in a satisfactorily manner.

Without the nice tools and tweaks, that amount would be at least 25 less.

jaclaz

I do think that there is an important "propaganda" or "public relations" value to people coming out with these tools and hacks for tweaking Windows 10. If these tools and hacks were not coming out, Microsoft and its apologists would proclaim the non-existence of such tools as "proof" that users are happy with Win10 just the way the Microsoft gods provided it to us. "Why, nobody has seen a need to change this, so what's the problem?"

Every new privacy tool, every new technique that's published to increase control over Windows updates or to restore some aspect of a usable UI -- every time one of these gets created is a one-fingered salute to Microsoft's arrogance and paternalism.  :)

--JorgeA

For sure a step back on the interface part. I'm not sure I understand the rationalization part? :unsure:

--JorgeA

originally I was going to use the word personalization, however, spell check had a better word. As for the word rationalization I am questioning Microsoft's decision making ability.  :angel

LOL  :D

--JorgeA

so your politics is chinese one, make constantly garbage and let other fix it, if it can be fixed

but there is a plot hole there which they demonstrated in winblows 8.0

they HARDCODE some things and REQUIRE CERTIFICATES

by winblows 11 or 12 I wouldn't be surprised that nothing can be changed

Can't quite tell to whom you're speaking, vinifera, or whether it's a personal conversation or one of concepts.

I don't do politics.  I prefer reality.

Personally haven't adopted Win 10 for mainstream use, because it can't (yet) be molded into something better than what I already have with 8.1, which is better than I ever accomplished with 7, which was better than Vista, etc. 

I only run Win 10 in a VM as a curiosity, and I still have more physical computers running 8.1 and earlier than I do VMs running 10.

My choice not to "up"grade (yet) is a decision based on knowledge, not hype from others.

I don't suggest others "up"grade either, though everyone's needs and situations are different (some may, for example, just may not be able to live without DirectX 12).

Frankly, so far I very much like being able to de-bunk the hype based on personal experience.

-Noel

Can't quite tell to whom you're speaking, vinifera, or whether it's a personal conversation or one of concepts.

I don't do politics.  I prefer reality.

Just to clarify things, I'm fairly sure that, when he wrote "politics," @vinifera meant what native English speakers call "policy." The same thing happens in Spanish, where "política" can mean either "politics" or "policy" depending on the context. I'm pretty sure that in the context, he means policy.

With a lesser degree of certainty, I think that by "your politics" vinifera meant Microsoft's Windows 10 policy, i.e., of creating garbage and then letting others fix it, if possible.  :yes:

--JorgeA

That's a reasonable take.  Thanks.

One man's garbage is another's treasure.

Microsoft clearly thinks that big-font, dumbed-down, flat UI Apps are their future.  Somehow they suspend disbelief and push forward with making software for the least common denominator.

Brawndo.png

Smart users who want general purpose computing are NOT the majority.  Perhaps Microsoft is trying to reach the other 80% of the people on the planet - who have no pressing need for a tech gadget at all.

Hey, you like money too?  We should hang out.

I've often said they're adept mediocrity managers in Redmond.  Given the millennial programmers and managers who believe programming must be a commodity activity, they have no doubt realized they're not going to be able to do cutting edge work any longer.  Ergo, big-font, dumbed-down everything.  People in-the-know see it as at best a lack of progress, and at worst, morphing of the company into just another author of PUPs or worse.

When you haven't got the goods, you have to get more aggressive.

-Noel

yes Jorge was right :D, thanks

ok i half understand what you mean to say for winblows 10 and the youth

but this fiasco on reasonable level can't go living much longer

even ordinary casheers or any paper-admin or accountant, i hear them all whine about the OS

our goverment (cro), uses win7, our hospitals server 2003 or win7

major supermarket stores, none use anyrhing of w8 or w10

so i fail to see how can broken carriage go on when its wheels are deformed 

It's stones falling from high above that kill innocent bystanders, not the small rocks one can kick along the dirt road.

That sounds like something that the Kung Fu Master Po might have said to Kwai Chang Caine:

kungfu22.jpg

(source)

--JorgeA

Microsoft demolishes Bridge for Android -- yet another nail in the Windows 10 Mobile coffin

To try and alleviate this app problem, Microsoft came up with a scheme called "Bridges", to help developers easily port their Android and iOS apps to Windows. Today, sadly, Microsoft is killing the Windows Bridge for Android. With the iOS bridge being the final exciting "Bridge" attraction, Windows 10 Mobile consumers should probably just buy an iPhone instead. Right?

Score another one for Microsoft's wrecking of the Windows UI for the sake of this mobile cr*p.

--JorgeA

Proudly running Windows XP in Skylake System

It is a monster

Ram limit unlocked with  PAE

Processor:: Intel Core i7-6700k

Motherboard:: MSI Z170A Gaming 7

RAM :: Cosair Vengeance(2x8GB) CMK -8GX4M1A2400C14R

HDD:: WD WD30EZRX 3TB (No problem I will manage it trought RAID5)

SSD:: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256GB

GFX CARD:: MSI NVDIA GTX 980TI GAMING 6G

SOUNDCARD::ASUS XONAR D2X7.1

PC IS Faster than anything

In multi I have windows 8.1 which was not used by me most of time then also getting slower than slug although it was tweaked and i do a monthly maintanance.

hardware companys taken money from ms to stop supporting old oses.

Who will leave super solid 7 & ultra solid xp instead of hell 10?

Who will leave super solid 7 & ultra solid xp instead of hell 10?

There will be people who feel throwing in with Microsoft will be good for them.

But you're right, it's hard to argue with stability...

Uptime20160226.png

-Noel