Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

So I dunno - put everyone back on Windows 7 I think is the way I am going to go now.

Jonah

I came to the same conclusion long ago. Windows 10 for PC is not better than any other previous Windows OS for Pc owners but rather a serious jump back towards insecurity and disorder.

Microsoft should reflect seriously about their role on Pc OS. If they don't do this as soon as possible they could arrive too late. Many people I know have already left aside Windows for ever.

Yeah me too. I have a big games machine awaiting Occulus Rift which I built specifically for VR. Other than that I use OSX day to day. My clients that I have retained (I don't do PCs any more I do aviation stuff) are all on Windows 7 or 10 so I have to support it - well at least know more about it than they do 8-)

The governement of the autonomic region of Andalusia in Spain has developed an own freeware Linux based OS which is already taught and used for educational purposes all over its territory, and eventually could also be used as soon as they wish for administrative purposes. Children learn to use this at school. 

You may freely download this public program (spanish only)  from this adress:

http://www.guadalinex.org/descargador/index.php?nombre=guadalinex-v8-desktop-i386-final.iso

This is an example of what may also happen in a near future. Big corporations and enterprises using thousands of computers having their own IT staff could do the same to preserve their security, also saving large amounts of money by not having to pay any license at all.

According to the documentation, it's only available currently in an i386 version, but certainly this is an intriguing start. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Cool! Enough of these types of programs created and installed, and maybe (?) Microsoft will finally get the hint that a lot of their customers don't want to be tracked or monitored or otherwise "helped" this way.

--JorgeA

I wonder for how long MSFT will permit something like the following to work:

How to get total control over Windows 10's automatic updates

In W10Privacy 2, you can now set the program to disable Windows 10’s own update mechanism and replace it with its own. Users can choose which updates to install, and which to ignore. This isn't something everyone should do, but you can easily reverse the steps should you need to.

--JorgeA

not sure when the boot F8 was changed, but that has become a nightmare (it may have something to do with how newer windows boot not sure I mess with boot as little as humanly possible). I was working on my cousin's PC that just happened to get mysteriously upgraded to W10 kinda it kept crashing during Windows setup and blue screened saying something along the lines of attempt to write non execute memory so I attempted to boot into safe mode; nothing happened! eventually I got the safe mode menu to boot up (i guess) and selected my start option and restarted the PC. I am guessing the change was an attempt on Microsoft's side to simplify F8 Safe Mode, however, they fell flat on their face.

Given the interesting things shown in the screen grab there (e.g., "Configure fake WSUS server"), I wonder what level of granularity is shown for updates - i.e., whether they still show up as big cumulative updates, or this tool has found a back door and can break them down to individual patches (and if so, is there documentation?).

If after having gone through all that, you still just see one big update available (plus maybe a few drivers), then I'm having trouble seeing an advantage over just using Microsoft software to do the job (i.e., the Windows Update Hiding Tool).

In any case, it's good that many folks are stepping up to make such software available.

The problem for users becomes more and more one of "Which of the many available privacy enhancers should I run?" and "Do they interact?"

There are worse problems to have.

Edit:  I did some testing on a throwaway VM...  It didn't detect any updates (nor even try to contact any servers as far as I could see).  It appears to be VERY much prototype-level software at this point.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

not sure when the boot F8 was changed, but that has become a nightmare (it may have something to do with how newer windows boot not sure I mess with boot as little as humanly possible). I was working on my cousin's PC that just happened to get mysteriously upgraded to W10 kinda it kept crashing during Windows setup and blue screened saying something along the lines of attempt to write non execute memory so I attempted to boot into safe mode; nothing happened! eventually I got the safe mode menu to boot up (i guess) and selected my start option and restarted the PC. I am guessing the change was an attempt on Microsoft's side to simplify F8 Safe Mode, however, they fell flat on their face.

Something I always do to every system I have to ensure that if something goes wrong and there's a remnant of the bootup process in place, I'll be able to take control and use WinRE or whatever...  I enable the boot menu.

EnableAdvancedBootMenu.png

Though shown above for Win 8, this same tweak works on Win 10.  This shows every time...

AdvancedBootMenu.png

-Noel

Something I always do to every system I have to ensure that if something goes wrong and there's a remnant of the bootup process in place, I'll be able to take control and use WinRE or whatever...  I enable the boot menu.

EnableAdvancedBootMenu.png

Though shown above for Win 8, this same tweak works on Win 10.  This shows every time...

AdvancedBootMenu.png

-Noel

Is it possible to enable this from the WinPE command prompt on the install DVD?

Is it possible to enable this from the WinPE command prompt on the install DVD?

I don't know.  All the systems I maintain have had this set up ahead of time, so I've not explored that angle.  And I haven't had that many failures.

-Noel

Has been running 10240 now for some time and it has been stabile, but lately when I start up the welcome and login has been sort of instabile. It flickers and start over and it seems the login stars don't "take". The hole procedure take up to tree time longer than it use too...

Interesting read for gamers.....

"Why You Shouldn’t Buy Rise of the Tomb Raider (and Other PC Games) from the Windows Store"

http://www.howtogeek.com/elk/1153/217512/22006

Quote - "Microsoft is competing with Steam. For $60, you can get Rise of the Tomb Raider from either the Windows Store or Steam. But the Windows Store’s version of the game is worse, and Microsoft’s new app platform is to blame. It’s not ready for powerful games yet.

There’s no problem with getting Candy Crush Saga or other simple mobile games from the Windows Store. The Universal App Platform is ideal for simple things like that. But Rise of the Tomb Raider demonstrates just how limited universal apps are."

The article goes on to detail various negative issues with games sourced from the Windows Store compared to those sourced from Steam.

Fixed link: Why You Shouldn’t Buy Rise of the Tomb Raider (and Other PC Games) from the Windows Store

Reapp the benefits of 'progress'  :thumbup  :

- No SLI or CrossFire ...

- Sorry, No Modding: Windows Store apps are protected, so this means modding–one of the mainstays of PC gaming–just isn’t possible ...

- No Overlays: ... Software like Fraps for recording your screen and tracking your framerate won’t work ...

- Only for Windows 10: The Windows Store version of the game will only ever work on Windows 10 ...

In the Reddit thread there's a healthy allusion to Richard Stallman's 2008 profecy:

"... cloud computing is simply a trap aimed at forcing more people to buy into locked, proprietary systems that would cost them more and more over time ..."

"... Somebody is saying this is inevitable – and whenever you hear somebody saying that, it's very likely to be a set of businesses campaigning to make it true ..."

Edited by TELVM

I would be afraid to buy any games fro PC from Microsoft after the whole DRM system Games for Windows Live went down. at least with steam if their going to go down they will allow you to download your games library before the server go down for good.