Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

... and I actually DO use the ability to mount ISO files.  

Well, with all due respect for the good MS guys, (and to you) it is something we had since YEARS and that even they made available a loong time ago. (currently I am using IMDISK that can mount a lot of other kind of images but the basic CD-Rom image mounting capabilities was here since day one or so).

Sure, I know, but if installing 3rd party desktop is being discussed generally as "not an OS thing but the thing of a system tweaker", then NOT having to install 3rd party ISO mounting software probably can legitimately be claimed as an OS improvement.  Remember, I started by not considering the "out of box" capabilities the test of the OS' mettle, but what it can be turned into.  It was you I believe who wanted to bring up the distinction between what a basic user could expect to do and what a dyed-in-the-wool geek could accomplish.  :)

But it's no problem, these are good distinctions to make.  It underscores my point that this dyed-in-the-wool geek is for the first time unable to turn Windows 10 into something better than what he was able to turn Windows 8.1 into - and that's significant!

I'm 100% in agreement with you that innovation stopped pretty much right after Vista and it was all refinement and polish after that.  Thing is, the software did need a HUGE AMOUNT of refinement and polish, and even Windows 8 benefited from some of that.  But that phase is decidedly over now.  The Marketing people (the root of much of the evil) clearly think it's refined enough to hang all kinds of new things (App App App CHOO) over the outside of it now.  I've not heard from any inside sources, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've been given strict orders to leave the kernel alone so as not to make it unstable.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Slight correction, if I may :): three or more times a year... remember this is a continuous update model ... :whistle:

The terms "four months" are used an awful lot here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt598226(v=vs.85).aspx

Though notably their examples showing the publishing of "Feature Upgrades" show 4 and 6 month intervals.  Emphasis on "examples" (vs. plans).  The diagrams give an insight into the thinking.

There's wording like "Minimum length of servicing lifetime" == "Approximately 4 Months", so you can see where "3 times a year" comes up.

I did, on re-reading that, get the impression that new LTSBs will be released every 12 months or so.  That was something I'd missed when I read it before.

-Noel

Epic comment  :thumbup  :

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. We are in control. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the rest of your computing life, sit quietly and we will control all that you do, see and hear. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from our inner mind to the limits of your patience and intellect.

Welcome to software as a service!

I finally managed to get the following file into a form usable from MSFN. It's a screen capture of Windows 10 trying, over and over again, to download a driver for the laptop I use as my Win10 test system.

Checking the update history revealed dozens of "installations" of this driver over a short span of time. The attempts continued repeatedly until I used the special tool to hide selected Windows Updates.

Note, too, that at one point a notification pops out from the right saying that the installation failed, but when you click on it, nothing happens. Expected behavior here would be for the Settings app to appear when you clicked on the notification, otherwise what's the point of letting you click on it and having it visibly "bounce" when it's clicked?

Looks like you'll need Flash Player for this (sorry). I'm open to suggestions as to how to make it more convenient to view -- it took me a while to 1) find a way to convert the file for viewing by a standard player; and 2) find a place to upload the file that would accept it (Imgur was my first choice, but the upload kept failing).

For the screen capture, I used Microsoft's Expression Encoder, a reminder that there was a time when MSFT put out really useful and full-featured software.

[link deleted]

(Hmm, I thought there was a way to embed a video link into a post here, but I can't find the commands to do that.)

--JorgeA

EDIT: deleted link to video, new link not requiring Flash Player provided here.

Edited by JorgeA

Epic comment  :thumbup  :

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. We are in control. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the rest of your computing life, sit quietly and we will control all that you do, see and hear. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from our inner mind to the limits of your patience and intellect.

Welcome to software as a service!

Microsoft is definitely approaching the "outer limits" of one's tolerance...  :whistle:

--JorgeA

If you upload the file on Vimeo it will be automatically converted to H264 in an MP4 container.

You may use the same format for local storage/playback to avoid any possible DRM/playback issues with the WMV format.

I used to have MediaCoder installed too and tried to use it a few times but it was way too complicated and also had a habit to crash every once in a while at startup so I uninstalled it. It does however have a lot of features, it can display details about the files to be converted and offers a large array of formats, codecs, tools for the output.

The final spec of the Vulkan graphics API got released, along with beta drivers from AMD, nVidia and Intel.

And all this runs on Windows 7!

If the API catches on, the only attractive feature of W10, DX12, becomes meaningless.

If you upload the file on Vimeo it will be automatically converted to H264 in an MP4 container.

You may use the same format for local storage/playback to avoid any possible DRM/playback issues with the WMV format.

I used to have MediaCoder installed too and tried to use it a few times but it was way too complicated and also had a habit to crash every once in a while at startup so I uninstalled it. It does however have a lot of features, it can display details about the files to be converted and offers a large array of formats, codecs, tools for the output.

Thanks for the tips, Drugwash. I've uploaded the screen capture to Vimeo and deleted the Dropbox link from my earlier post.

--JorgeA

That "RealTek Semiconduct Corp. - Other hardware - Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader" entry seems like it would be a good candidate for hiding using the Windows Update Hiding tool.  But it'll probably come back one day.  I have one like that for my HP printer/scanner, and another one for a Silverlight update.

Microsoft would say "See?  We NEED to be able to do a full in-place upgrade every 4 months to clear up glitches like this.  Starting over is SO much easier (for us) than just getting the technical stuff right in the first place."

They might also point out that (per what  you're showing on the screen) "Some settings are managed by your organization, which must not be doing it right."  You've clearly changed something that they don't feel is normal.

-Noel

The final spec of the Vulkan graphics API got released, along with beta drivers from AMD, nVidia and Intel.

And all this runs on Windows 7!

If the API catches on, the only attractive feature of W10, DX12, becomes meaningless.

Please let this catch on. I want to see how high and mighty Microsoft is when they can't hide behind DirectX.

That "RealTek Semiconduct Corp. - Other hardware - Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader" entry seems like it would be a good candidate for hiding using the Windows Update Hiding tool.  But it'll probably come back one day.  I have one like that for my HP printer/scanner, and another one for a Silverlight update.

Microsoft would say "See?  We NEED to be able to do a full in-place upgrade every 4 months to clear up glitches like this.  Starting over is SO much easier (for us) than just getting the technical stuff right in the first place."

They might also point out that (per what  you're showing on the screen) "Some settings are managed by your organization, which must not be doing it right."  You've clearly changed something that they don't feel is normal.

-Noel

Yeah, I did eventually deal with that update using the hiding tool, as I think I reported up there. It was getting pretty annoying.

The reason the notice in red comes up is that I used Group Policy Editor to set Windows Updates to "Notify for download and notify for install." Nothing undocumented or funky about that setting. If we were in a courtroom, I would lure the 'Softies into making all sort of wild claims about my "nonstandard" settings choice based on that notice, and then demonstrate to their embarrassment that this is one of their own offered settings, and in any event one that couldn't possibly cause the sort of problem that the video shows, since (as seen in the video) there aren't any more Updates to install (meaning, they've all been installed except for that one).

And as far as that "need" to be able to do a full in-place upgrade every 4 months -- well, the last time they sent one of those out to me back in November, my Win10 installation got bricked and I ended up having to download Windows 10 and re-install it from scratch. Talk about "glitches." Yeah, real convenient, eh Microsoft?

--JorgeA

Im giving up now, I ran Windows 10 and it seemed quite fast and ran pretty good and I used those apps to stop Microsoft from communicating. Its just like someone here said here its time to change I cannot keep running a old operating system.

Im considering running thr LTSB version of Windows 10 in the future.