Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I used to be a cloud junky, but I always maintained my own physical copies in multiple formats. Sometime last year I pulled most of files off the web no I am going through them. The only cloud services I use are amazon instant video (I have no need to store video files) Hotmail and I store some non essential files on my web server. 

Good quality MyBook USB drives can be had for a song nowadays (under 3 cents a gigabyte).  It's just irresponsible to be without backup if your data has any value to you.  A 2 TB drive is well under $100.  You could easily blow more moolah going out drinking or seeing a concert.

Schedule regular system image backups, and set up some file backups.  Don't just get one backup drive.  Get a few of them and occasionally take one somewhere else (e.g., to protect against an unexpected fire, etc.)

Matter of fact, I just ordered another one:  4 TB Western Digital MyBook on Amazon for a measly $119.99.

-Noel

Have several seagate usb 3, got from costco. Work fine for backups. Gonna get some

of those MyBooks too at costco.

Use to back up to hdds, had several disasters with that method.

Best for my use...., usb 3.0.

my 2 cents

I never use any web storage

s*** so many DVD's here and 2 louzy USB sticks :D

but what you have "material" is better than virtual

i am terrible I use Drive XML and CD-R also and a 1tb WD My Book drive I keep my back CD-Rs at work and the drive at home. I have other means of backup, but I don't want to rely on them, because they are in my home as well. Single point of failure!

when they make cheap 6 TB SSD with fuse protector (or what ever its called, that s*** that explodes upon too big current)

then I will use such single drive for backup

as I don't see still that there are no any safety against small electricity/static discharge protections

user still has to rely on 80ies guide, plug out the PSU cable, set PSU to zero, put on rubber gloves

and yank in component hopefully you won't hear "cczzz"

Edited by vinifera

when they make cheap 6 TB SSD with fuse protector

as I don't see still that there are no any safety against small electricity/static discharge protections

A fuse is designed to make sure that an overload does not occur within the actual circuit design from a certain direction. It does not protect the entire circuit, but from the input. Static electricity does its damage by introducing current outside of how the circuit was designed. So having a fuse somewhere does not really help in that situation.

Now having a storage with easily replaceable PCB components would go a long way towards that. If you pop that part then you can just replace that diode or resistor. The reason it is not easy now is mostly due to size of the components.

A long time ago I read about optical circuits, but it seems that it would be too expensive to replace traditional electronics to see it any time soon.

hopefully you won't hear "cczzz"

Sounds like you need to move to a place with higher humidity.  :)  Not that it doesn't bring other problems.

For what it's worth I leave most of my external USB drives plugged-in permanently.  Nothing wrong with nightly backup.

I think someone posted a link to some performance comparison between Windows 7,8 and 10 some time ago here in the forum. Does anyone remember what it was and could give me the link please?

I posted some other stuff here...  More real-world actual processing stuff, not just canned benchmark programs:

http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/thread/54/performance-tests-fanboys-beware-faster

I have proven through careful comparative measurements that Windows 10 10586 is not faster than Win 7 / 8.1, and in fact gets slower at doing mundane things like retrieving files from a server and processing the data in ways people do when they do serious / business computing.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I have proven through careful comparative measurements that Windows 10 10586 is not faster than Win 7 / 8.1, and in fact gets slower at doing mundane things like retrieving files from a server and processing the data in ways people do when they do serious / business computing.

-Noel

But I don't want to do business computing! I want to play with metro! Just joking ;-) 

In the March 2016 issue of MaximumPC, online managine editor Jimmy Thang writes:

...With tablet sales slumping, Google and Apple are trying to jump on the convertible bandwagon with their Pixel C and iPad Pro tablets, but it's a poor attempt to save a dying market. Both devices lack a trackpad, and the iPad Pro doesn't even have a USB port. But the biggest sin that both devices commit is being tied to mobile apps. Conversely, the Surface allows you to use professional video and photo-editing suites. I'm amazed that Apple and Google are audacious enough to just tack on a keyboard and call it a day.

[emphasis added]

Serious software rules!!!  :thumbup

Maybe Win32 applications aren't going the way of the dodo after all, the breezy predictions of some folks notwithstanding.

--JorgeA

P.S. Note, too, the reference to tablets as a "dying market."

In the March 2016 issue of MaximumPC, online managine editor Jimmy Thang writes:

...With tablet sales slumping, Google and Apple are trying to jump on the convertible bandwagon with their Pixel C and iPad Pro tablets, but it's a poor attempt to save a dying market. Both devices lack a trackpad, and the iPad Pro doesn't even have a USB port. But the biggest sin that both devices commit is being tied to mobile apps. Conversely, the Surface allows you to use professional video and photo-editing suites. I'm amazed that Apple and Google are audacious enough to just tack on a keyboard and call it a day.

[emphasis added]

Serious software rules!!!  :thumbup

Maybe Win32 applications aren't going the way of the dodo after all, the breezy predictions of some folks notwithstanding.

--JorgeA

P.S. Note, too, the reference to tablets as a "dying market."

+1 :thumbup  

Maybe people are starting to see tablets for what they are, a VERY LARGE smartphone (which in itself is not a bad idea IMHO) and not for what they attempted to market them (a very small PC replacement) ;).

jaclaz