Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

... Until Windows XP, the user could tick/untick the features he wants, during installation. I wish they offered that option these days ...

But allowing such a degree of choice and freedom to the user is so XX century! We must get 'modern' and 'embrace change'!

12736465-Portrait-of-prisoner-behind-bar

A very apt image.

Maybe Microsoft and its apologists should be considered (and addressed as) "techno-fascists." They gleefully reject choice -- in fact, not only do they choose not to have a choice for themselves, they vigorously defend taking that choice away from everybody else. They're comfortable with being tracked and monitored, and they're OK with a smiling authority telling everyone what they must install on their PCs.

It would be more precise to label them "techno-authoritarians," as "fascist" may bring in unwanted political connotations, but it doesn't roll off the tongue so well.

Anymore, whenever I see MSFT's slogans of "personalize your PC" and "make it your own," I can only laugh sarcastically.

--JorgeA

Techno-authoritarians...

In the voice of Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig, Cowboys And Aliens):  "Good words."

ThoughtPolice.jpg

Credit to a contributor elsewhere (can't find his name right now).  Maybe on the Windows 10 Epic Fail forum?  My apologies for my bad memory.

-Noel

43nQb51.png

Introducing, my latest project: I REALLY Don't Want Windows 10. This is similar to 'I Don't Want Windows 10", but it is more effective in disabling the prompts and preventing the "upgrade". This method works by adding the registry tweaks suggested in this KB article to prevent the Windows 10 installation. I made this program to make it easier for the average user to prevent the installation.

>> Download Here <<

... Maybe Microsoft and its apologists should be considered (and addressed as) "techno-fascists." They gleefully reject choice -- in fact, not only do they choose not to have a choice for themselves, they vigorously defend taking that choice away from everybody else. They're comfortable with being tracked and monitored, and they're OK with a smiling authority telling everyone what they must install on their PCs ...

Quite true.

Man my blood boils whenever some shill pukes out something like 'If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear' in the best gestapo tradition.

IN9cKFbe.png

...meanwhile in Cupertino ...

Heh, the things you can do in the name of "security" are horrendous indeed.

-Noel

But think about it. If your phone was stolen and just swich id-unit the phone was accesseble (for the thief) how fun is that. As bay a new iphone all your data is saved safe in icloude. I think it's great...

43nQb51.png

Introducing, my latest project: I REALLY Don't Want Windows 10. This is similar to 'I Don't Want Windows 10", but it is more effective in disabling the prompts and preventing the "upgrade". This method works by adding the registry tweaks suggested in this KB article to prevent the Windows 10 installation. I made this program to make it easier for the average user to prevent the installation.

>> Download Here <<

Nice work! To get the word out, you might want to notify various sympathetic websites and bloggers. Heaven knows non-techie Windows customers could use something like this.

--JorgeA

... Maybe Microsoft and its apologists should be considered (and addressed as) "techno-fascists." They gleefully reject choice -- in fact, not only do they choose not to have a choice for themselves, they vigorously defend taking that choice away from everybody else. They're comfortable with being tracked and monitored, and they're OK with a smiling authority telling everyone what they must install on their PCs ...

Quite true.

Man my blood boils whenever some shill pukes out something like 'If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear' in the best gestapo tradition.

IN9cKFbe.png

I like the graphic.  :yes:

Wonder how long it'll be before anything other than the latest Windows version is disallowed on the 'Net, "for our own good" of course.

--JorgeA

10 hurdles to Windows 10 adoption

A lot of good points in there, but possibly the best ones, and the most threatening to Microsoft's new vision for Windows, are made in slide #9:

The current state of Microsoft Edge has me wondering if anybody will be able to develop “Universal” Windows program in any reasonable amount of time.

The first leaks about Edge “Project Spartan” appeared more than a year ago. At the time, Microsoft had clearly been working on the new browser for many months. Why has it taken so long to get a browser to work inside Microsoft’s vaunted Universal Windows Platform? Is the project team overworked, overchallenged -- or is WinRT simply not up to the job?

Right now the Edge browser clearly isn’t anywhere close to being usable. We’ve seen beta builds that actually support a multilevel Back button -- a feature that’s been in every browser since Netscape. We’ve been promised a version of Edge that’ll run Chrome extensions. We hear that Edge is fast, sleek, and fun -- and Microsoft’s actually delivered a stunted, buggy, stubbed-out placeholder.

Fortunately, both Chrome and Firefox work well on Windows 10, so the lack of Edge isn’t a debilitating setback. However, it’s a worrying reflection of what might be in store with other Windows Store apps.

Also check out this insightful commenter on Woody's own blog:

I agree with the many suggestions you outline to increase acceptability and potential adoption of Windows 10. I also tend to believe that MS would be reluctant to accept your proposed changes as doing so would essentially require them to rewrite their business plan which required, among other things, that the Win 10 OS become an adserver platform totally integrated with their “cloud” computing objectives. This business plan required Win 10 to be enabled to commander PC users’ hardware platforms and internet bandwidth in a manner heretofore never really envisioned as a proper role for a primary OS. This was to be legally authorized via the cram down of a terrible EULA on system users. I really think MS has put themselves in a place where they are no longer capable of accepting the reasonable suggestions which you propose. It is simply no longer in the DNA of their business plan.

--JorgeA

Heh, the things you can do in the name of "security" are horrendous indeed.

-Noel

But think about it. If your phone was stolen and just swich id-unit the phone was accesseble (for the thief) how fun is that. As bay a new iphone all your data is saved safe in icloude. I think it's great...

I understand the issue, and I'm all for making those who are irresponsible with their precious high tech hardware pay for the privilege, but to get into a situation where you can prove the phone is yours, but you've had to have it repaired in a situation in which you had no alternative is a bit much, don't you think?  Seems to me the underlying message here is that Apple service is circling the bowl.  It used to be considered good.  That some stuffed suit would come on and claim "it's all necessary in the name of security" is just so much whitewash.

On another subject, if you think anything in a "cloud" is "safe", you're possibly just a bit brainwashed.

-Noel

Windows 10 is Microsoft's Elephant Man

[WARNING: possibly disturbing images and language at the link]

With Windows 10, Microsoft has really done very little to endear itself to people; the number of slipups along the way has been impressive. We started off with some slight confusion about what 'free' meant as there was some very poor communication and some very poorly-worded announcements made in the run-up to launch. Just what is the deal with the free upgrade?

And when the launch did roll around, there was a general feeling that Microsoft had ushered an unfinished product out of the door. To this very day, the much-touted replacement for Internet Explorer -- Microsoft Edge -- remains incomplete. The add-in support that users have so long been waiting for remain elusive. And that's before we even start to think about issues with InPrivate not being quite as private as the name might suggest.

These are just two of the issues that users, and would-be users have been complaining about and in the background there is the other elephant (man) in the room -- the hostile way in which Windows 10 has been foisted on people. Add to this the various spying and telemetry features (again, with an amazing opaqueness that is incredibly surprising coming from a company such as Microsoft) and it's little wonder than Windows 10 is eyed with such suspicion.

--JorgeA

Windows 10 is Microsoft's Elephant Man

[WARNING: possibly disturbing images and language at the link]

With Windows 10, Microsoft has really done very little to endear itself to people; the number of slipups along the way has been impressive. We started off with some slight confusion about what 'free' meant as there was some very poor communication and some very poorly-worded announcements made in the run-up to launch. Just what is the deal with the free upgrade?

And when the launch did roll around, there was a general feeling that Microsoft had ushered an unfinished product out of the door. To this very day, the much-touted replacement for Internet Explorer -- Microsoft Edge -- remains incomplete. The add-in support that users have so long been waiting for remain elusive. And that's before we even start to think about issues with InPrivate not being quite as private as the name might suggest.

These are just two of the issues that users, and would-be users have been complaining about and in the background there is the other elephant (man) in the room -- the hostile way in which Windows 10 has been foisted on people. Add to this the various spying and telemetry features (again, with an amazing opaqueness that is incredibly surprising coming from a company such as Microsoft) and it's little wonder than Windows 10 is eyed with such suspicion.

--JorgeA

The comment section on that article is GOLD. All of the MS fanboys getting offended at the harsh (but true) criticism of their precious Windows 10. One of my personal favorites:

FINALLY... I get a belly laugh from an article title at Beta News!

LOL! Thanks Mark!

But on a more serious note...

The Elephant Man is good looking compared to Windows Bob Two (Windows~BT)

So THAT'S why it's called Windows~BT, it's all making sense now.

The comment section on that article is GOLD. All of the MS fanboys getting offended at the harsh (but true) criticism of their precious Windows 10. One of my personal favorites:

FINALLY... I get a belly laugh from an article title at Beta News!

LOL! Thanks Mark!

But on a more serious note...

The Elephant Man is good looking compared to Windows Bob Two (Windows~BT)

So THAT'S why it's called Windows~BT, it's all making sense now.

:lol:

--JorgeA