Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Another perspective on that new recommended "update":

Look out: Microsoft shifts Windows 10 to ‘Recommended’ update, automatic download

There’s no way this doesn’t create headaches for at least some Windows users, as well as Microsoft. Some drivers won’t update properly. Some people will misinterpret the installation as malware, since Microsoft hasn’t historically updated its operating systems in this fashion. Some will click on “Get Windows 10″ without realizing that it’s an entirely new operating system that makes significant changes to how basic system functions work. Resetting system defaults to MS programs is going to leave some people thinking their previous browser settings or customizations are gone.

All of these issues are issues with any OS upgrade, but OS updates are typically something the user initiates. Microsoft clearly wants its entire user base on Windows 10. But think about it: This move targets use[rs] who don’t know enough to disable Recommended updates, but have also rejected Microsoft’s previous offers. This could create a nasty snarl of blowback if the upgrade push starts making life difficult for large numbers of people.

[boldfacing added]

--JorgeA

Out of curiosity, if you have a Windows 7 or 8 system you're trying to protect from being updated to Windows 10, what do you have in this file?

C:Windows\Logs\Gwx\ConfigManager.log

-Noel

I checked a machine that had the infection on it and found nothing in that directory, however, I did find evidence of it's existence!

post-210064-0-55398100-1454505790_thumb.

But yesterday the dreaded updates KB2952664 and KB3135445 reared their ugly heads again

For me the saga of checking for updates on my older systems is pretty much over.  I'll still read about them, and I'll consider installing those that purport to solve problems I may encounter, but no more "This update improves Windows (for Microsoft, because it helps us make more money off you)".

-Noel

I can remember when the first traces of GWX appeared around a year ago or so.

I said on channel9 and hardforums that this crap will be annoyed up beyond belief and reach malware levels, given Microsoft's modus operandi since Windows 8 and their original over-the-top creep plans for the xbone.

Of course, the shills came up with the usual "they are a multi-billion dollar corporation, they would be stupid to behave like this". Well..

If a company is on a consumer-hostile path, they will go it until the shit completely hits the fan.

I said on channel9 and hardforums that this crap will be annoyed up beyond belief and reach malware levels, given Microsoft's modus operandi since Windows 8 and their original over-the-top creep plans for the xbone.

Of course, the shills came up with the usual "they are a multi-billion dollar corporation, they would be stupid to behave like this". Well..

If a company is on a consumer-hostile path, they will go it until the s*** completely hits the fan.

Now you can go back to those forums and throw their own quotes back at them. :D

--JorgeA

If a company is on a consumer-hostile path, they will go it until the s*** completely hits the fan.

Now you can go back to those forums and throw their own quotes back at them. :D

--JorgeA

Channel9 is pretty much dead now and receives one post per day or so.

Windows 10 finally managed to piss off the right amount of people there, even some of the former Windows 8 fanboys:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Finally-An-end-to-the-Win10-upgrade-nagging

Everyone who noticed that NuMS is without any hope pretty much stopped posting.

New Insider Hub notice this week:

post-287775-0-23252900-1454532288_thumb.

Two questions:

1. What could they possibly be working on at this stage (six months after Win10's public launch) that could be causing such major problems?
  2. Anybody know what that task named "WSRefreshBannedAppsListTask" might be? Is there a way for the user to add (among so many other things) Cortana, Edge, and the Windows Store to the "banned apps list"?  :D

--JorgeA

I'm stuck with running Windows 8.1 again, augh.. I will never be safe.

Don't fret - Windows 8.1 can be rendered safe (and stable, and fairly nice looking).  It can be fully re-themed, for example, and it responds to having all the Apps removed just as Win 10 does.  I can say this with confidence because I'm living the dream.

I even have it configured to where it goes days without trying to spill the beans online now.  It's basically like a slightly better Windows 7, with a more distant end of support date.

-Noel

Ah thats good to know I'm glad I can still be safe, I should mention its my only legit copy I own of Windows to use. (besides owning Windows 2000 Pro, Windows Home Server and Home Server 2011 that I never use.)

Did an upgrade today to 14257. After a shaky start the welcome screen showed and an even more shaky login the desktop showed. The first adjustment went to Classic Menu and after a short wail it say it was ok. Second I start AeroGlass gui to fix the blur and color. Then it froze and that was that. Noting to do but a hard reset. Second try I went to Settings (went well) Update... then it froze! nothing to do but an hard reset. I did a 3:e try but the same; after 3-4 comands it freeces. can not even get to "uninstall last preview"

Strong work Windows!

Microsoft forcing Windows 10 onto people is wrong

Not quite beating a dead horse, as the new insights and arguments keep rolling in:

Imagine if other companies behaved like that? If Amazon decided to swap the book you chose and paid for, for another book without your say so. "It’s new, it’s free!" Yes, but it’s also not the book I wanted or bought.

Microsoft says it wants Windows 10 on a billion devices. Google and WhatsApp have both just announced they have 1 billion active users. But the difference with them, is it’s a billion users who actually wanted Gmail, or wanted WhatsApp in the first place.

When Microsoft next announces how wonderfully well Windows 10 is doing, and how many more million users have been added from yesterday onwards, it will be a meaningless number, a hollow achievement, and certainly nothing for the company to be proud about.

--JorgeA

Some good info

Like many of you, I am concerned about the telemetry, spying and other surveillance features, known or unknown, of Windows 10. It has concerned me enough to push me to Linux Mint as my main operating system. Even so, I wanted to better understand Windows 10, but internet search results for a decent windows 10 traffic analysis leave a lot to be desired. As such, I decided to do my own investigating on what, exactly, Windows 10 is doing traffic-wise, and post the results. For this analysis, I wanted to simply analyse the network traffic of Windows 10 on a clean install, and just let it sit and run without using it.

Windows 10 telemetry network traffic analysis, part 1

and

Windows 10 telemetry network traffic analysis, 30-hour update