Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

@NoelC

I meant, you have mixture of .net now within VB/CPP so you can use "newest api"

yes I know there are workarounds for ver6

well main point was, there is no native or pure win32 support for these new vs's

its all for .net s***, and even VB 6 is not supported anymore in terms of patching and MS doesn't care of it

and they did write they dropped support for it, but it still seems its apps and runtimes run on NT6/10

Guys, it looks like Microsoft has made their next move in their "upgrade to Windows 10 or bust" game:

In October 2015, Microsoft officials outlined a schedule for stepping up the company's push to get Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to move to Windows 10.

On February 1, Microsoft started making good on the promised push.

"As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10. We updated the upgrade experience today to help our customers, who previously reserved their upgrade, schedule a time for their upgrade to take place," said a company spokesperson.

What does that cryptic statement (delivered at 5 pm ET, right in the middle of the Google earnings call, by the way) actually mean?

It means today's the day Windows 10 moves to "recommended" status.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-starts-pushing-windows-10-as-a-recommended-update/

Of course, Microsoft already promised us that they would do this, but it still seems ridiculous!  It's a bit early to see if my OptOut10 patch remains effective despite this.  If I trust Microsoft's documentation of the GWX opt-out settings, it should remain effective.  But then again. . . it's Microsoft's already shaky trustworthiness that's at stake here!

Edited by Techie007

Microsoft ups user, device minimums for Enterprise Agreement volume licensing deals

As of that date, business users who want to go the Enterprise Agreement approach will face a minimum requirement of 500 users or devices, rather than the current 250. Microsoft will steer those with fewer than 500 devices/users to its Microsoft Product and Services Agreement (MPSA) and Cloud Solutions Provider (CSP) programs, instead.

I wonder if this change might have anything to do with a desire on Microsoft's part to let as few Windows users as possible to escape from the telemetry-and-forced-updates gulag.

At least, it appears to be a move to round up as many as they can into the cloud model.

--JorgeA

Do people still trust the "normal" settings provided by the very same company that's trying to push Windows 10 on us?

The answer is, of course, to TAKE CONTROL of what you're allowing to run on your system.  It's not magic.

WUDisabled.png

-Noel

Oh, and by the way, one can find evidence out there that there is already a secret, behind-the-scenes, no user action required method for Microsoft to push updates on people.

E.g.,

http://www.zdnet.com/article/confirmation-of-stealth-windows-update/

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/microsoft-updates-windows-without-users-consent/

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/protect-yourself-from-silent-windows-updates/

Also keep in mind that Windows Defender can download antivirus definitions, which are normally delivered via Windows Update, by itself.  How deep do Defender's update installing capabilities go?  Will Microsoft co-opt Defender to "defend" against people running older versions of Windows?  It might be time to take another hard look at Defender as well.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Out of curiosity, if you have a Windows 7 or 8 system you're trying to protect from being updated to Windows 10, what do you have in this file?

C:Windows\Logs\Gwx\ConfigManager.log

I have a Win 7 system that I turned up in April, 2015 with all updates, and even back then Microsoft was already pre-loading GWX.  Later in the year I swept through that system, after having uninstalled all the GWX that I could find, leaving nothing but a couple of logs.  The dates and data I found in the file I named above are interesting...

2015-09-08 00:19:26, Info                         Initialized logging. Cmdline: /RefreshContent
2015-09-08 00:19:26, Info                         MUID: {B968A68C-2175-45A0-AF45-1AA25031DE35}
2015-09-08 00:19:26, Info                         Using Prod content FwLink
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=526867.
2015-09-08 00:19:26, Info                         Port: [443], Secure -> [TRUE]
2015-09-08 00:19:26, Info                         IE specifies auto-detect.
2015-09-08 00:19:26, Info                         Trying auto-detect
2015-09-08 00:19:28, Info                         Unable to retrieve proxy info for URL -> [0x2f94].
2015-09-08 00:19:28, Info                         Continuing without proxy
2015-09-08 00:19:28, Info                         Continuing with download for url
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=526867.
2015-09-08 00:19:31, Info                         ConfigManager failed with error [0x80072efd].

If you're concerned that GWX activity may still be happening on your system that you're not aware of, have a look in this log.  I'm curious to see what you see there.

-Noel

Do people still trust the "normal" settings provided by the very same company that's trying to push Windows 10 on us?

The answer is, of course, to TAKE CONTROL of what you're allowing to run on your system.  It's not magic.

WUDisabled.png

-Noel

And to be sure it stays that way...

lAj4qlY.png

Out of curiosity, if you have a Windows 7 or 8 system you're trying to protect from being updated to Windows 10, what do you have in this file?

I don't have it. :whistle:  Turned off update on time. :yes:

Edited by 351837

Personally, I did disable Winupdate on my 2 win 7 Ultimate and 2 win 8.1 core 6 months ago and seeing how things goes I then now think about deleting these services for good.

It's a long run for me personally being an IT Infrastructure Architect specialized in AD and clients deployment, but if we face the truth about MS now, this service + bits are the most useless things on Win 7 and 8.1 at home.

(And I enjoy deploying 1000+ Win 7 pro with Office 2010 currently in a big company ;) )

Windows 10 now a 'recommended' update for unsuspecting PCs

"... be aware that if you have switched to manual updates you still may end up downloading the new OS anyway. Windows Update is automatically preselecting the optional download as desired, so there's no need to click on the box to get it ..."

2849346793_573b1c4afc_z.jpg?zz=1

I am so tired of NuMS, can’t even rant anymore.

I bet that even if you hide it, it will re-appear every three months. I also bet we will soon see more forced installation “accidents”.

This whole situation feels so dumb – it’s exactly from the malware-playbook, yet no one calls the FBI because the perpetrators aren’t some Russian or Chinese hackers, but a “respectable billion-dollar company”. I guess that makes it ok then…

Might makes right in its purest form.

Using Windows since 2015 feels like living in a warzone: You need to be alerted all the time and watch every step, or you might step on a mine. You need to always listen to the news to be informed of new attacks against your area and take precautions.

It's ridiculous. We are paying costumers, not their victims.
Edited by Formfiller

... This whole situation feels so dumb – it’s exactly from the malware-playbook, yet no one calls the FBI because the perpetrators aren’t some Russian or Chinese hackers, but a “respectable billion-dollar company”. I guess that makes it ok then ...

... Using Windows since 2015 feels like living in a warzone: You need to be alerted all the time and watch every step, or you might step on a mine. You need to always listen to the news to be informed of new attacks against your area and take precautions.

It's ridiculous. We are paying costumers, not their victims.

^ You've nailed it.

In the first half of 2015 Microborg became the enemy and started playing War Games. Since then the only winning move is not to play.

well in my win7 SP1 with integrated fixes up to 9th month 2015

there is no GWX folder in logs

seems like 9nth month was last "clean", after that all i see on forums is this pushing "10"

as for Defender, dunno why people even use that garbage...

C:Windows\Logs\Gwx\ConfigManager.log

Happily, I don't have that file or subdirectory on my Win7 system.

But yesterday the dreaded updates KB2952664 and KB3135445 reared their ugly heads again (and promptly got them chopped off once more).

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Using Windows since 2015 feels like living in a warzone: You need to be alerted all the time and watch every step, or you might step on a mine. You need to always listen to the news to be informed of new attacks against your area and take precautions.

That's a very apt way to look at it. A related analogy would be to walking down a city street late at night. You need to be on the lookout for muggers and other unsavory characters jumping out in front of you from behind every corner.

--JorgeA