Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

BTW, I was thinking about this change while out this afternoon, and I couldn't remember the name of the new PM engine. Guano? Gonad?? :)

It's gonner, IIRR... :P

LOL, I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole... :whistle:

--JorgeA

Demerjian gets to the nub of the issue yet again --

PC sales do Whaaat!? They crater again

Throughout all of this SemiAccurate has been consistent in its analysis, and that analysis is one all the players involved unquestionably know, modern PCs are awful. Windows 8+, yes 10 included, are awful. They don’t work well. The cheap ones are miserable and die in months, the expensive ones have ‘features’ that make them less functional, heavier, and worse in every way but possibly looks. Intel artificially cripples CPUs at the low-end and prices them painfully on the high-end. Modern PCs are borderline unusable, unsecurable, user unfriendly, and quantifiably worse in almost every way for the user experience than a 5 year old device. Yet PC makers insist the problem is users not understanding the ‘value’ of the new features and ‘exciting’ form factors.

If you look at the sales charts, pick the ones you prefer but they all seem to agree that sales peaked around 2010/2011, about when the change to these new and ‘exciting’ form factors started up. Not coincidentally Windows 8 launched at about the same time. If you read the analyst reports, it isn’t any of this, one quarter it is macroeconomic conditions, commodity prices, hangover from inventory issues, waiting for a new XYZ, or whatever else they can point to. It will all be better in a few quarters or a year, just you wait. At least the message is consistent.

For 5+ years sales have been consistently down, we are now about 100M units/year lower than they were before these changes. The only consistent factors are the new PC form factors that consumers just ‘love’ and ‘want’, and the ‘exciting’ new OS paradigms from Microsoft.

--JorgeA

mmm pc's will never drop

dumbest example: you can't have gaming rig stiffed into mobile phone or tablet

and nVidia and AMD with other minors thrive from this

then comes RAM

then come SSD disks

now lets go software based, you can't program normal on something that doesn't have phisical keyboard

and a pointer, so no programming, no 2 and 3D graphics, no multimedia (videos) processing

actually no nothing...

this will only change in hologram "world", but home users won't see or even have this

50 more years AT LEAST, 100 years if humanity lives so much , maybe

Edited by vinifera

Linux has already been compromised by M$, Google and others (there was a recent link around here exposing a few things). :(

Something like this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/25/linux_foundation_scraps_individual_membership/

Not exactly that one but along the same lines.

It's this

http://techrights.org/2016/01/21/linux-foundation-coup/

it just dawned on me:

- what if they don't want regular users to go creative?

- what if they want to get and hold monopoly to everything software-related?

- what if they want to turn user devices into read-only dumb terminals than can only play back their content, under strict supervision?

Scenario:

- turn on device

- access Store

- pay for <content>

- download <content>

- consume <content>

- shut down device

Real computers would only be built and delivered to specific, approved persons/enterprises. The rest of the world will only be able to take photos, record private videos and buy buy buy buy buy coyprighted <content> for their dumbed-down hand-held devices running crippled wannabe operating systems. Sounds utopic? Wait and see.

EDIT:

Yes, Agorima, that's the one!

Edited by Drugwash

Microsoft and the high tech world are conspiring to make Windows 10 impossible to do without.

If we want to continue to live in a world where we can see clearly where high tech is going, we have some options that range from extremes:

• Shun high tech altogether and move to a cabin in the woods.
  • Choose to use an older OS (Win 8.1 or 7) and hope that some new development will ultimately save us.
  • Adopt Windows 10 and develop a strategy for continuing to keep control, knowing this will be more work.
  • Adopt Windows 10, just go with the flow (and lose the requisite 30 points of IQ).  This will be less work.

• The first option it's too extreme, especially nowadays.
  • It's a good option, but I don't think they will change their mind soon, unless they will lose market share in computers.
  • It is also a good option to use Win 10 Enterprise LTSB (yeah, I know it's not for consumers sheeps, and it's not "legal" to use it at home, but it's legal to do what they're doing now?).
  • I will not consider the last option.
Edited by Agorima

it just dawned on me:

- what if they don't want regular users to go creative?

- what if they want to get and hold monopoly to everything software-related?

- what if they want to turn user devices into read-only dumb terminals than can only play back their content, under strict supervision?

I've been sayin' that for a long time.

No professional OS is available from Microsoft.  Not EXTERNALLY.  But what will they be developing future versions of Windows with?

That being said, Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition is now free for small business users, and it DOES seem to be a bit improved over 2013 - so it's hard to complain too loudly just yet.

You have to wonder what a company like Adobe (given all the content creation stuff they offer) thinks about all this...  Well, it's pretty clear they're embracing Macintosh in a big way, so maybe they're not that worried.  Imagine that:  Macs to create serious/business content, and PCs to consume it.

-Noel

You have to wonder what a company like Adobe (given all the content creation stuff they offer) thinks about all this...  Well, it's pretty clear they're embracing Macintosh in a big way, so maybe they're not that worried.  Imagine that:  Macs to create serious/business content, and PCs to consume it.

-Noel

You know, this is kind of ironic. In the 80s and 90s, the Mac really did have an advantage in media production, but in the past 10-15 years, Adobe caught up and now OS X and Windows are pretty much equal, it would be sad to see all of the progress made just vanish overnight.

It all depends on what the user wants or needs to do on their machine.

In my opinion, an operating system:

- must be a simple but solid framework, built with flexibility and extensibility in mind, but most of all with compatibility

- should never be allowed to refuse an application built for it, regardless of that application's initial compatibility

- should always adapt to whatever hardware it's being run on and should never be allowed to refuse any particular piece of hardware as long as it's compatible

- should always be in user's control, not the other way around

- should be completely standalone, never tied to remote resources or require confirmation from remote third-parties

- should never waste any kind of resources "just in case" or "because there's plenty at hand"

and I could probably list a few more ideal characteristics of an operating system but we already realized that the world currently does not have a real operating system. Unless it's so well hidden that we never heard of it. But even so, I bet it's not in Microsoft's locker. Because they just can't code.

it would be sad to see all of the progress made just vanish overnight.

I know, right?  It's vanishing as we speak and we are indeed sad.  Most folks don't realize how big a deal it is that Microsoft decided to concentrate on frivolity and leave the work to someone else.  It MEANS something, and it might well change the world - for the worse!

-Noel

Macintosh! I miss those days! I ran one up until about 2010 when it met its down fall. Water and electronics don't mix well. I hated the UI, but loved the fact that it just kept going also it had more than 2 usb port (if you include the keyboard ports). If given the choice resurrect my dead Macintosh PC or install Windows 10 I would run for that cabin in the woods NoelC was talking about!