Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Windows 10 is a mess.

Edit: this was my original post it turns into a rant especially near the end

Well hopefully people will start speaking with their wallets (by that I mean not getting W10 perhaps moving on to something else) and not feed the MS beast. I was hesitant about moving to 8 after running a preview build and then I was able to make 8.1 work even though I believe it is a few steps down from Windows 7 then 10 has come along and it is a drunken mess! No one wants to deal with that guy at the end of the night yet ms Keeps pushing him on us expecting us to give him a home. Then every 4hrs or so he drinks water (gets cumulative update) and pukes on the floor.

there wouldn't be driver problems if those morons didn't on purpose renamed kernel from 6.3 to 10

both "8" and "10" could have used legacy "7" driver, which would make manufacturers prolonged support for "7"

as for "7" being old, well shit, RTM sucked and was plagued with some bugs, SP1 fixed this

then it takes AT LEAST 1 year for market to accept the OS, 

so thats like 3 years after 2009, so technically OS is in circulation 5 years

if it had SP2 it would be longer, but yeah let them ditch it in favor of crapware

Edited by vinifera

Microsoft and the high tech world are conspiring to make Windows 10 impossible to do without.

If we want to continue to live in a world where we can see clearly where high tech is going, we have some options that range from extremes:

• Shun high tech altogether and move to a cabin in the woods.
  • Choose to use an older OS (Win 8.1 or 7) and hope that some new development will ultimately save us.
  • Adopt Windows 10 and develop a strategy for continuing to keep control, knowing this will be more work.
  • Adopt Windows 10, just go with the flow (and lose the requisite 30 points of IQ).  This will be less work.

Since it's a 4 dimensional world, we must not only decide things now, but also re-evaluate the above list continuously.

At the moment I've stopped at "Choose to use an older OS" and am dabbling with "developing a strategy for continuing to keep control".  For ME, that seems prudent.  The answer will be different for each person.

Amongst us all this IS actually causing ongoing work, stress, and could indeed be likened to hitting oneself repeatedly with a heavy object.  And I hate to say it but there's nothing we can do about it.  The high tech world is bigger than any of us, or even a group of us.

Microsoft, through their greed and avarice, has chosen to make running Windows about running Windows and no longer about what the user wants to do.  There is not an unlimited amount of spying and malice being done by the software, and it's still quite possible to run Windows 10 in a way that thwarts Microsoft's plans.  Perhaps someone could even roll up all that knowledge into something even bigger than the Anti-Spyware packages (I don't know, a Windows 10 Re-Tweaker package maybe).

It might be that continuing to try to wrest control back away from Microsoft will be SO much work that IQ 70 people who just opt for the last option above will be equally productive and successful, at which point we fail.  huh.png

How many have pondered their own existence in all this?  Somehow I find it oddly comforting that I will probably not live past about around 2030 or 2035 and then I will no longer have to deal with all this Microsoft garbage.

-Noel

Oh, and let's never forget that even though it's no longer new news, Windows 10 STILL doesn't give us all the functionality that the older systems did.  Think "the ability to play media", and any number of other features that got discussed hotly when Win 10 first reared its ugly head.

-Noel

Woody weighs in on the Skylake/Win7 controversy:

Microsoft won't support many Skylake PCs without Windows 10

I'm not saying Microsoft should support Windows 7 forever. The real issue here is that enterprises especially want to hang on to Windows 7 as long as possible, given then disaster that was Windows 8, the tepid changes in Windows 8.1, and the ongoing gaps in Windows 10. It's not buyers' fault that Microsoft has screwed up the last three Windows versions, yet buyers are getting punished for sticking with the last reliable version of Windows -- particularly enterprises that have very legitimate reasons to stick with Windows 7. ("Reliable" meaning stable and compatible with their apps and hardware.) Why should they be restricted to Broadwell and older processors?

Until there's a new version of Windows that everyone can rely on, the burden should be on Microsoft to support whatever version is still reliable -- and especially not make enterprises choose between potentially unsafe, unpatched but reliable Windows 7 PCs and Windows 10 PCs whose reliability or fit is in question.

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

I can't tell you how credible this is, but I have heard that Windows 7 won't be getting new Skylake features backported, but it still will run. For example, I have XP SP3 x86 and XP x64 running on my Arrandale Core i3 laptop from 2011 with no issues. I personally don't see how MS could restrict installation of Windows 7 without crippling the processor itself, therefore restricting Linux and other OSes from running on the CPU. If these new processors are valid x86 and x86_64, Windows 7, along with all previous releases including MS-DOS boot disks, should install and run with no issue. If these new processors are NOT valid x86 and x86_64, we have bigger problems we have to worry about...

@JorgeA: Sorry that I couldn't help you with your PDF issue in SeaMonkey, but if you can't get Acrobat to work, I did find an alternative that works. It looks like it can screenshot whole web pages into a PDF (as well as popular image formats) You can look into it more here. You can also try modifying the Acrobat XPI yourself. If you need help, you can always PM me, as this is kind of OT for this thread.

Fortunately (for now), the concern is that Windows 7 won't receive updates on selected Skylake processors beginning next year, rather than that it won't install at all on those processors. Although the pressure from Microsoft is obviously on, that still gives you and me some measure of choice. I feel like going out and getting me one of them Skylake thingies just to give the 'Softies the finger. "Scr*w you and your f@#$%^g updates!!!"

I suppose that, at some point, Microsoft could decide to shut down the Win7 activation servers, such that nobody could install it fresh on any computer. Wonder if there's anything in the EULA to stop them from doing that.

BTW not a problem about Acrobat on SeaMonkey. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get the chance to, probably on Friday. We'll see what happens. I'll definitely look into that screenshot add-on no matter waht, it sounds promising!

--JorgeA

hospitals here use Server 2003

supermarkets use XP

some private practices use "7"

departement for un-employedes (or whatever its called) use XP

IRS (in my country) use "7"

I haven't seen yet anyone in state business using anything above "7"

even our goverment use "7"

As they say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  :)

--JorgeA

BTW speaking of browsers Pale Moon 26.0.0 (Goanna engine) has been just released and it works like a charm. respect-048.gif

Did you have any trouble with the compatibility of add-ons or extensions?

BTW, I was thinking about this change while out this afternoon, and I couldn't remember the name of the new PM engine. Guano? Gonad?? :)

--JorgeA

Windows 10 is a mess.

Edit: this was my original post it turns into a rant especially near the end

Well hopefully people will start speaking with their wallets (by that I mean not getting W10 perhaps moving on to something else) and not feed the MS beast. I was hesitant about moving to 8 after running a preview build and then I was able to make 8.1 work even though I believe it is a few steps down from Windows 7 then 10 has come along and it is a drunken mess! No one wants to deal with that guy at the end of the night yet ms Keeps pushing him on us expecting us to give him a home. Then every 4hrs or so he drinks water (gets cumulative update) and pukes on the floor.

Nice analogy.  ;)

--JorgeA

Microsoft and the high tech world are conspiring to make Windows 10 impossible to do without.

If we want to continue to live in a world where we can see clearly where high tech is going, we have some options that range from extremes:

• Shun high tech altogether and move to a cabin in the woods.
  • Choose to use an older OS (Win 8.1 or 7) and hope that some new development will ultimately save us.
  • Adopt Windows 10 and develop a strategy for continuing to keep control, knowing this will be more work.
  • Adopt Windows 10, just go with the flow (and lose the requisite 30 points of IQ).  This will be less work.

Since it's a 4 dimensional world, we must not only decide things now, but also re-evaluate the above list continuously.

As @Drugwash noted, there is a fifth alternative, that of switching to a different OS family altogether. In addition to Linux, there's OS X.

At this point, my intention is (like you) to stay on Vista/Win7 for as long as possible. If and when that becomes untenable, my next choice will be to migrate to Linux. Trying to whip Windows 10 into semi-acceptable shape comes in in third place.

--JorgeA

Linux has already been compromised by M$, Google and others (there was a recent link around here exposing a few things). :(

Something like this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/25/linux_foundation_scraps_individual_membership/

after reading that it dose disturb me, however, I am Linux on a Physical test computer and I am using it every day it has almost become my primary PC with the exclusion of stuff I do for work I am not ready to trust that stuff when I have a perfectly fine Windows 7 setup.

I guess I am going to have to start vetting my choice in software again lol got lazy.