Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Cool, I didn't know one could remove crapps via Classic Shell. :thumbup

I couldn't use it to remove the "Store" entry on Win 8.1 though.  Maybe in the next release. 

And for some reason Internet Explorer shows up under Start > Programs > Apps.  It's not an App.

-Noel

Actually, I may be wrong; didn't they have a pre-Edge App incarnation of Internet Explorer.  I've never ever used Apps in Win 8.x except WAY back in the pre-release days, so I guess I forgot.

Never mind my earlier comment.

-Noel

The link somehow changed in the new browser tab when I clicked on it (removing everything after the 200), and took me to an earlier page in that thread. But once I found the specific post (#289) -- yes, it IS fantastic! I didn't know anything about that history.

Recommended reading for all.

--JorgeA

P.S. @TELVM, sorry about your not getting properly credited for the quote up there. This is a sign that the board software is moving beyond IE8. I can't even see any controls (for smilies, hyperlinks, boldfacing, etc.) above the writing window here. This happened in the last few days.

Actually, I may be wrong; didn't they have a pre-Edge App incarnation of Internet Explorer.; I've never ever used Apps in Win 8.x except WAY back in the pre-release days, so I guess I forgot.

Never mind my earlier comment.

@NoelC:

Indeed there was an "immersive" Metro version of IE in Windows 8 that was almost completely useless, lacking in any but the most rudimentary controls. Pretty shocking the first time I launched IE in the Win8 Developer Preview and that was the default browser. Eewww!!!

--JorgeA

Though tweaked, they're somewhat less "unfortunate" and can actually be very nice.  Except Windows 10.  Drop the "very nice" for that one.

Sure, but let's not confuse cause and effect, the "unfortunate" OSes *need* tweaking exactly because they are "unfortunate", we could use "malformed at birth", but "unfortunate" conveys (at least to me) the right amount of pity and sorrow for the poor, little OS.

jaclaz

... The link somehow changed in the new browser tab when I clicked on it (removing everything after the 200), and took me to an earlier page in that thread. But once I found the specific post (#289) -- yes, it IS fantastic! I didn't know anything about that history.

^ When I read this my first thought was "they're repressing dissidence again by deleting 'troublesome' posts" (that forum is in MS pocket). But nope, if I click on the link now it goes directly to that post, so dunno.  Try this one.

P.S. @TELVM, sorry about your not getting properly credited for the quote up there. This is a sign that the board software is moving beyond IE8. I can't even see any controls (for smilies, hyperlinks, boldfacing, etc.) above the writing window here. This happened in the last few days.

Never mind, the usability of this forum's interface is an extenuating circumstance for any quoting crime perpetrated. :P

Though tweaked, they're somewhat less "unfortunate" and can actually be very nice.  Except Windows 10.  Drop the "very nice" for that one.

Sure, but let's not confuse cause and effect, the "unfortunate" OSes *need* tweaking exactly because they are "unfortunate", we could use "malformed at birth", but "unfortunate" conveys (at least to me) the right amount of pity and sorrow for the poor, little OS.

All operating systems have always needed tweaking to be the best they can be.  You seem to be implying there was a fundamental threshold somewhere (XP?) before which it wasn't needed.  It's all just a matter of degrees.  Simpler operating systems needed simpler tweaks in simpler times.  We're not there any more.

But I understand what you're saying, and agree that it's getting worse as time goes on.

Plastic surgery works wonders, but it only goes so far.  It can't make an infant into a supermodel.  The frame just isn't there and a functional, elegant exoskeleton is actually quite difficult to engineer.

Win 8 preserved enough of Windows' innards to recover functionality.  Unfortunately, with Win 10 Microsoft appears to have moved from the soft tissue to chopping away at the bones.  I have not found it possible through tweaking to make Windows 10 as powerful as the best tweaked Windows 8.1 system.

They need to keep the robust inner skeleton of Windows intact - that infrastructure is required to build a robust App environment, and is the same one tweakers/augmenters rely upon to turn the system into something better.  Trouble is, they don't seem to have the talent any longer to even recognize what that infrastructure is to maintain it, let alone (gasp) improve it!  And so we backslide.

When a building is to be replaced the architects don't try to build a whole new one starting on the 45th floor.  They have crews demolish it and dig out the foundation.  The point is that building something for the future requires architecture and adept implementation.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

When a building is to be replaced the architects don't usually try to build a whole new one starting on the 45th floor.  They have crews demolish it and dig out the foundation.  The point is it requires architecture and adept implementation.

The point is actually to determine BEFORE if the building actually *needs* being replaced.

In most cases minor or major modifications to the actual building will solve the issue at hand (which also needs to be exactly determined before) without needing to demolish and rebuilding from foundations (or from grounds up ;))

With the latest windows, set apart the "appearance"  thing and even the  issues about (the complete lack of) ergonomics, the question is actually which improvements are there and more than that which problems affecting previous versions were actually solved?

I.e. not only there is a general failure in the HOW they (presumably or assertedly) solved the issues, there is an underneath one about WHAT the issues were. 

jaclaz

This is maddening.

Windows 10 (10586.29) keeps reinstalling the Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader driver. Every day it downloads it and installs it, then the next day it finds it again and downloads and installs it.

Yesterday I did a manual check for updates. It found the Realtek driver. As those who use Win10 know, if you do a manual update check the app makes another check for updates at the end of the update installation proeess. This time, it kept finding and installing the driver, over and over again, about six times within a few minutes. Closing the updates app didn't help: when I opened it to see if it had stopped, it was still downloading the Realtek driver.

The loop continued until I applied the troubleshooter to hide updates and hid the Realtek driver.

What if I didn't know about the troubleshooter? The thing would keep going and going. Microsoft has really got to integrate into the UI the ability for users to pick and choose updates.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

... Microsoft has really got to integrate into the UI the ability for users to pick and choose updates ...

If anything expect from them the disintegration of such ability in W7, "to ease the upgrade experience to Windows 10" ...

... Microsoft has really got to integrate into the UI the ability for users to pick and choose updates ...

If anything expect from them the disintegration of such ability in W7, "to ease the upgrade experience to Windows 10" ...

At least, if they try to do this on 7 or 8.1, all that it will take to prevent that would be to not install that update in the first place. (or just uninstall the update after it gets installed)