Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

....Maybe it's because there so many things wrong to keep track of with Windows 10...

Totally right. 

It is incredible, but Microsoft has achieved a whole success in the amazing feat of improving their products...backwards!

Microsoft introduces Office 365 E5 subscription

Office 365 Enterprise E5 replaces Enterprise E4, which will be dropped by June 2016, and will cost $35 per user per month, compared to $22 per user per month for its predecessor.

Question: that E4 package -- do they mean that as of June 2016 it will no longer be sold to new customers, or does it mean that existing E4 customers will also be switched to E5?

The answer is relevant to the issue of cloud computing, towards which Windows 10 is an attempt to drag users. If the answer is the former, then that means that customers retain some level of choice and control over what they're buying. But if it's the latter, then it means that the seller is claiming nearly total control of the situation and customers are left with little choice other than "take it or leave it."

When software is sold as a discrete product rather than as a constantly changing "service," the customer retains full(er) control of the situation. I'm still on Office 2007, for example. I already paid for the product and I'm not subject to Microsoft's suddenly raising the price to keep using it.

Anybody know how Office 365 subscriptions (for enterprise) work?

--JorgeA

....Maybe it's because there so many things wrong to keep track of with Windows 10...

Totally right. 

It is incredible, but Microsoft has achieved a whole success in the amazing feat of improving their products...backwards!

That's a great phrase: backwards improvement!! :thumbup

--JorgeA

Where are all those tech analysts that told us the PC is dead & tablets is the future.

In the deep blue sea, circumnavigating the world with Mr. Belfiore?

LOL

I wouldn't mind if Joe found a nice tropical island (the more remote the better) and decided to stay there... and invited some of his cohorts in Redmond to join him. :)

--JorgeA

Where are all those tech analysts that told us the PC is dead & tablets is the future.

I wouldn't mind if Joe found a nice tropical island (the more remote the better) and decided to stay there... and invited some of his cohorts in Redmond to join him. :)

They might as well start a coconut water and fried fish parlor there... I bet it'd be more profitable than Windows Phones... :yes:

They might as well start a coconut water and fried fish parlor there... I bet it'd be more profitable than Windows Phones... :yes:

LOL! :D

--JorgeA

yeah, web mail (in chrome) I should have said that in the previous post. I noticed that message when they moved me to the new "Outlook Preview"

So Outlook.com (Microsoft) knows if you're using an ad blocker.

Thanks for the report.

--JorgeA

Warning:

Microsoft continues to force Windows 10 on people who don’t want it

Josh Mayfield, the author of GWX Control Panel, discovered users who specified that they did not want Windows 10 (via his program’s AllowOSUpgrade switch) have had their preferences reset up to several times a day and the update presented to them again.

As reported by Computerworld, Mayfield found via a monitoring component that this behavior was caused by the recent updates released to Windows 7 and 8.1 that are designed to make upgrading to Windows 10 easier, and by Microsoft re-releasing its Get Windows 10 update several times in a sneaky way. "It [Microsoft] doesn't change the name of the update, but every version is new, with new binary files" Mayfield says, which makes it harder to block.

Many more of the gory details in the linked Computerworld article. Some highlights:

Regarding the suspicious updates KB3112336 (Win8.1) and KB3112343 (Win7) that came in earlier this month:

There's more to those updates than that, Mayfield argued. "They're telling [the PC's] Windows Update client that this computer can be upgraded to Windows 10," Mayfield said. "[The Windows Update client] is constantly checking settings several times an hour. It's fully aware of the Windows 10 upgrade."

By monitoring his own test PCs -- eight all told -- and from the reports he's received from GWX Control Panel users, Mayfield has concluded that Microsoft is manipulating Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs with behind-the-scenes changes, part of its effort to ensure Windows 10 ends up on as many devices as possible.

--JorgeA

By monitoring his own test PCs -- eight all told -- and from the reports he's received from GWX Control Panel users, Mayfield has concluded that Microsoft is manipulating Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs with behind-the-scenes changes, part of its effort to ensure Windows 10 ends up on as many devices as possible.

Not mine.  Not any more.

Think of it this way if the decision to divorce from Windows Update is difficult for you:

"Do I want the same people who programmed Win 10 reprogramming my Win 8.1 / 7?  And even if I WERE to respect their technical capability, do I trust these people, given recent observed behavior, to change the programming in my system in any way that they choose?"

-Noel

Another interesting pair of UI discussions from Web design gurus, including this one...

Long-Term Exposure to Flat Design: How the Trend Slowly Decreases User Efficiency

...which led me to this one:

Mastery, Mystery, and Misery: The Ideologies of Web Design

Some highlights:

Clickable UI elements with absent or weak visual signifiers condition users over time to click and hover uncertainly across pages—reducing efficiency and increasing reliance on contextual cues and immediate click feedback. Young adult users may be better at perceiving subtle clickability clues, but they don’t enjoy click uncertainty any more than other age groups.

...This new situation is slowly influencing the way users interact with clickable elements on the web, and we’re starting to see evidence of changing behavior patterns during usability testing.

Users are forced to explore pages to determine what’s clickable. They frequently pause in their activities to hover over elements hoping for dynamic clickability signifiers, or click experimentally to discover potential links.

This behavior is analogous to the behavior of laboratory rats in operant-conditioning experiments: if a rat gets a food pellet at random intervals after performing a specific action, the rat will keep doing that action in the hope of getting fed again. Similarly, users have discovered that clicking elements that don’t have strong signifiers sometimes works. Like the lab rats, users will stick to random clicking as long as they get rewarded from time to time.

Even though users are mostly able to find their way through interfaces with this exploratory behavior, they’re still being forced to do extra work and are being distracted from their primary goals without gaining any tangible benefit.

The motivation behind minimalist and flat design was a desire to get the ugly distractions out of the interface, so that the focus is on the content and user tasks. It’s ironic, then, that the misuse of these design styles slows users down by forcing them to think harder about what options are available to them.

The relevance of all this to Windows 8 and 10 requires no elaboration.

--JorgeA