Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Microsoft yanks latest Windows 10 release from its download server

One by-product of the sudden move is that the multi-edition installer, new in the November update, is no longer available. The current download links require the user to choose between x86 and x64 versions; the now-vanished replacement was a single executable.

Another by-product is that anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 today has no choice but to accept a 3 GB upgrade to build 10240, followed almost immediately by an equally large second upgrade to version 1511.

And to add insult to those injuries, the sudden removal of the build 10586 ISO files means that the newly added capability to do a clean install using a Windows 7 or Windows 8.x product key is now unavailable to the general public unless they were fast enough to download and save an ISO file before the sudden change.

Wonder what the heck happened here. One thing is for certain, and that is that all of the above factors make the "up"grade experience considerably harder and more inconvenient.

--JorgeA

UPDATE: Reading about this on another website, it looks like the sentiment just expressed is widespread. One selection from many:

They really must have the 3 Stooges running this company considering the decisions of late.. They seem to be making a conscious effort to p*ss off they're remaining most loyal customers and make things as difficult as possible for them.

Edited by JorgeA

he wrote biggest kernel change SINCE VISTA

6.0 to 10.0

to us ordinary users thats nothing

to devs, its new driver type (since number changed as it didn't follow up 6.x numbering), and probably some API hooks beneath

Yes, but the new driver model and the NT major version change have been in Windows 10 since RTM. What I got out of this is that the "biggest kernel change since Vista" happened between 10240 and 10586, and if that is the case, I am really curious into seeing what it is. (they probably integrated telemetry into the OS at a kernel level)

hmm probably that then

Probably what? That they changed the version number?

<snikt> the "biggest kernel change since Vista" happened between 10240 and 10586, and if that is the case, I am really curious into seeing what it is. (they probably integrated telemetry into the OS at a kernel level)

hmm probably that then

Does anyone else see that it's all just FUD any more?

+1 :D

Probably what?  That they changed the version number?

Does anyone else see that it's all just FUD any more?

-Noel

FWIW, here's what the HitmanPro.Alert developer said in explanation about the kernel change:

There are huge security changes in TH2 compared to previous kernels. There is a lot more code to support e.g. Enclaves, Skylake SpeedShift and new Edge security features. But we have things under control with build 338

What do you think?

--JorgeA

He may well know better than I, though I'm not sure his concept of "kernel" and mine are 100% in alignment.

Remember how many compatibility issues were caused by Vista?  Do we hear of any now?  I haven't.  That tells me empirically that the parts of the kernel that existing programs are executing aren't that different.

I don't know about you, but I don't give today's Microsoft credit with the capability of being able to make "the biggest kernel change since Vista" without making any mistakes.  Especially since they're no longer seriously SVT testing it themselves.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

(they probably integrated telemetry into the OS at a kernel level)

This is a really good possibility. Telemetry is one of the best things about Windows 10. It really is what is happening with computing right now. We will see more, and more automatic communication between our computers, and the data servers, so information is available to us much more seamlessly than any time in the past. I read all the time of people who try to disable it, but it is a hopeless battle, analogous to trying to keep the tide from coming in. I am enjoying the telemetry, but then again, I embrace change.

You clearly have a stress-reducing philosophy, I'll give you that.  :yes:

Another observation:  Based on benchmarks, 10586 is no slower nor faster than its 10240 predecessor at doing the same things.

-Noel

There are a few glitches in the 1511 release. I have read about bitlocker issues, and I have noticed a few issues involving task scheduler, and recently I can't open device manager, or disk manager which is very strange. I suppose when MS re-releases it a clean install is in order. I really don't need device manager right now, and anything disk manager can do, I can do in powershell. But, I do like to have everything working flawlessly. I think they pushed the release a bit too early, at least to the general public. I DO EXPECT issues in insider builds, but not in public releases.

(they probably integrated telemetry into the OS at a kernel level)

This is a really good possibility. Telemetry is one of the best things about Windows 10. It really is what is happening with computing right now. We will see more, and more automatic communication between our computers, and the data servers, so information is available to us much more seamlessly than any time in the past. I read all the time of people who try to disable it, but it is a hopeless battle, analogous to trying to keep the tide from coming in. I am enjoying the telemetry, but then again, I embrace change.

I embrace improvement in my daily experience. If a change leads to improvement of a welcome kind, then great. Thus far, Windows 10 presents me with a net worsening of my computing experience.

When Microsoft introduced Windows Explorer, the Taskbar, and the Start Menu after Windows 3.x, I ran with these new features and never looked back: they represented such an improvement in usability that there was no comparison to what there was before. That was welcome change. There were not enough countervailing factors in the opposite direction to change my assessment.

When I got my first Vista computer, Aero Glass turned out to be such a stunning esthetic improvement over the opaque visuals of everything that came before it, that I ran with it and never looked back. That was welcome change. There were not enough countervailing factors to tip my decision the other way.

So I, too, can say that "I embrace change" -- if and when it represents what I consider a worthwhile improvement. Windows 8.x and 10 have introduced nothing that I'm interested in and many elements that I actively dislike, while removing features that I loved from the very beginning.

--JorgeA

I embrace improvement in my daily experience. If a change leads to improvement of a welcome kind, then great. Thus far, Windows 10 presents me with a net worsening of my computing experience.

When Microsoft introduced Windows Explorer, the Taskbar, and the Start Menu after Windows 3.x, I ran with these new features and never looked back: they represented such an improvement in usability that there was no comparison to what there was before. That was welcome change. There were not enough countervailing factors in the opposite direction to change my assessment.

When I got my first Vista computer, Aero Glass turned out to be such a stunning esthetic improvement over the opaque visuals of everything that came before it, that I ran with it and never looked back. That was welcome change. There were not enough countervailing factors to tip my decision the other way.

So I, too, can say that "I embrace change" -- if and when it represents what I consider a worthwhile improvement. Windows 8.x and 10 have introduced nothing that I'm interested in and many elements that I actively dislike, while removing features that I loved from the very beginning.

--JorgeA

Sorry you feel that way. So far Windows 10 has only improved my computing experience.

Yes sorry you don't want to be readily spied upon and have your files looked through and monitored.....

That is why I use Windows 10. It is very secure. Sorry, I just have never ever subscribed to any conspiracy theories. I only stick to the facts, and what I know. It is just not logical, as Spock would say it, that one of the major software corporations in the world would jeopardize its very existence by spying on its customers. Do you know how fast the justice department would be on them if there were any truth in this spying conspiracy stuff? Pretty darn quick, that's for sure. So it isn't true. Edited by dhjohns