Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

@JorgeA

... and more or less it amounts to an "open microphone", everyone's conversations within - say - 10 meter radius from an innocent child playing with the doll might be catched and transmitted to the servers...

... and what about this?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/11/beware-of-ads-that-use-inaudible-sound-to-link-your-phone-tv-tablet-and-pc/

... the thingy could well become part of the "cross-device tracking" network. :(

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

On the theme of Microsoft's force-marching Windows users into newer operating systems, I've learned some disturbing information. Last week I had an exchange with an AV company regarding their announcement that they were going to stop supporting XP and Vista next spring.

Because this AV suite is (was) my leading candidate to replace Norton for my Vista work system, this was disappointing and I wrote them to say so. Given that the publicly stated reason for their decision was that XP was no longer supported by Microsoft, I pointed out that Vista is in fact still supported, so why lump them in together with XP? Here's (part of) the answer that I received:

The decision to discontinue support for Windows XP and Windows Vista wasn't entirely ours. Microsoft has made sure that no one can get new code signing certificates that are compatible with these versions of Windows, so after the end of the year it will no longer be possible for us to digitally sign our software in such a way that it will continue to work on those versions of Windows. Regardless of the fact that Windows Vista is still receiving security updates from Microsoft, they are not updating it to support the newer code signing certificates that they are requiring everyone to use, because technically they already ended "Mainstream Support" for Windows Vista on April 10th, 2012.

The bottom line appears to be that, although Vista doesn't officially reach end of extended support until April 2017, they are already making it difficult if not impossible to keep the third-party software on a Vista system up to date.

I'm eager to hear the thoughts of folks who are familiar with these sorts of "inside baseball" details.

--JorgeA

@JorgeA

... and more or less it amounts to an "open microphone", everyone's conversations within - say - 10 meter radius from an innocent child playing with the doll might be catched and transmitted to the servers...

... and what about this?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/11/beware-of-ads-that-use-inaudible-sound-to-link-your-phone-tv-tablet-and-pc/

... the thingy could well become part of the "cross-device tracking" network. :(

jaclaz

Indeed, it could!

Now, check out this part of the description of that advertising software:

SilverPush also embeds audio beacon signals into TV commercials which are "picked up silently by an app installed on a [device] (unknown to the user)." The audio beacon enables companies like SilverPush to know which ads the user saw, how long the user watched the ad before changing the channel, which kind of smart devices the individual uses, along with other information that adds to the profile of each user that is linked across devices.

That sounds almost like a textbook definition of spyware.

Another reason to keep your smart TV off the Internet and your smartphone turned off except for when you're expecting or making a call.

--JorgeA

Note that XP, for one, doesn't require executables to be signed at all. So, that company might as well offer an unsigned version for XP and divulge its md5 and sha-1 (or whatever), for the more paranoid to check by hand. Nothing more than that is actually required, hence, they sure are being disingenuous.

Another reason to keep your smart TV off the Internet and your smartphone turned off except for when you're expecting or making a call.

OR to keep using dumb cell phones and TVs for as long as one can possibly source them (and they're cheap if not even actually free, people will thank you for actually ridding them of those!)...

Hahaha, trust the cloud and online-DRM they said..

As of November 15, 2015, Zune services will be retired. You will no longer be able to stream or download content to your device from the Zune music service

Content that was purchased with DRM may not play if the license can’t be renewed.

All your DRMed Zune files are expired and dead. Thanks for the ride.

I am so glad that I put my music in the cloud (not!). Enough of these outrages, and maybe the covenience lovers will finally come to realize that it's not very convenient to have your listening experience controlled (let alone erased) by some far-off provider.

While we're on the subject: when the iPod first came out, my wife got one to play during long car trips. The iTunes software was the most rigid, convoluted piece of programming I've ever run across. "No, I don't want you to sync anything to anything, I want to make my own decisions and know what's going on!!" "How the h3// do I copy only Hour 2 of this talk show onto the thing??"

We ended up getting a Sansa Fuze where I could simply copy files over as if it were a flash drive. No muss, no fuss.

--JorgeA

Now, check out this part of the description of that advertising software:

SilverPush also embeds audio beacon signals into TV commercials which are "picked up silently by an app installed on a [device] (unknown to the user)." The audio beacon enables companies like SilverPush to know which ads the user saw, how long the user watched the ad before changing the channel, which kind of smart devices the individual uses, along with other information that adds to the profile of each user that is linked across devices.

That sounds almost like a textbook definition of spyware.

--JorgeA

I read an article a good while back were a company was giving out Android Phones for free the users just had to allow the phone to recored everything it heard and sent the info back! (i don't think it record phone calls ect, but who really knows) I wounder how many people got that service? lol

Edited by helpdesk98

Note that XP, for one, doesn't require executables to be signed at all. So, that company might as well offer an unsigned version for XP and divulge its md5 and sha-1 (or whatever), for the more paranoid to check by hand. Nothing more than that is actually required, hence, they sure are being disingenuous.

Huh, that's interesting. Vista, though, does require these code signing certificates, is that right?

Sounds like in theory they could continue to support XP (because it doesn't require these certificates), but not Vista?

--JorgeA

Hi,

I did run the Windows update on my VM Windows 10.0 10240 Pro to check. But no TH2 patch, it is still a 10240 version.

How did you install this evil TH2?

Maybe when it will be on Windows update, it will may be not reset all settings?

Ridrok

Mine came through the regular Windows Updates channel. One day last week, it simply showed up.

If and when you get it, be prepared to go through all your privacy and default application settings, as it's likely to turn all the privacy invasions back on and the default programs to Universal "apps" that you may not like. Any Win10 apps that you may have uninstalled in 10240, will also come back and you'll have to uninstall them again.

--JorgeA

Hi,

I did run the Windows update on my VM Windows 10.0 10240 Pro to check. But no TH2 patch, it is still a 10240 version.

How did you install this evil TH2?

Maybe when it will be on Windows update, it will may be not reset all settings?

Ridrok

Maybe you are a son of a lesser God :w00t:

Check nasty surprise #3 here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/14/microsoft-windows-10-threshold-2-problems/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/14/microsoft-windows-10-threshold-2-problems/2/

Nasty Surprise #3: Forced Delays For Recent Upgraders

Quite surprisingly, Microsoft admits on its Windows Update FAQ that new Windows 10 users are being pushed to the back of the queue for the Threshold 2 Update:

“If it’s been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won’t get the November update right away; this will allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the November update.”

:whistle:

jaclaz

Huh, that's interesting. Vista, though, does require these code signing certificates, is that right?

Sounds like in theory they could continue to support XP (because it doesn't require these certificates), but not Vista?

I don't know, I've skipped Vista altogether, but I doubt it. Anyhow, the best person to consult about that would be MagicAndre1981... If he doesn't chime in soon, it might be a good idea to PM him about it.

Sounds like in theory - and hypothetically (of course) - the good AV guys are giving you a full load of bullsh*t :w00t::ph34r:.

JFYI:

https://www.globalsign.com/en/blog/microsoft-announces-updates-sha-1-code-signing-policy/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32288.windows-enforcement-of-authenticode-code-signing-and-timestamping.aspx

jaclaz

Yes, the Windows 10 build 10586 in-place upgrade to 10240 DOES:

• Revert many settings, including privacy settings
  • Reinstall / re-enable features you have specifically removed or disabled, including Apps, services, scheduled tasks.
  • Break selected 3rd party productivity or usability improving accessories.

Anecdotally, when Aero Glass was young, I got great pleasure from creating my own theme atlas graphics, so I could have the shading of the title bars, the buttons, the borders, and the drop shadows just as I like them.  All that's been reorganized AGAIN with 10586.  I'm losing the will to continue making new graphics atlases to match and haven't bothered yet doing so.

Keep in mind I'm only running Win 10 on a virtual machine without any significant purpose other than to test on.

Meanwhile my 8.1 desktop has remained stable and usable all throughout this Win 10 madness.

So let's see...  Constant Win 10 upgrades that make you spend literally days or weeks to reconfigure and get just right, settings reversions you have to keep on top of, and nothing new or interesting to offset that pain; all the while the older operating systems just run and run stably.

Yeah, let me get right on making Win 10 my chosen desktop system.  NOT!

-Noel

Yes, the Windows 10 build 10586 in-place upgrade to 10240 DOES:

• Revert many settings, including privacy settings
  • Reinstall / re-enable features you have specifically removed or disabled, including Apps, services, scheduled tasks.
  • Break selected 3rd party productivity or usability improving accessories.

Anecdotally, when Aero Glass was young, I got great pleasure from creating my own theme atlas graphics, so I could have the shading of the title bars, the buttons, the borders, and the drop shadows just as I like them.  All that's been reorganized AGAIN with 10586.  I'm losing the will to continue making new graphics atlases to match and haven't bothered yet doing so.

Keep in mind I'm only running Win 10 on a virtual machine without any significant purpose other than to test on.

Meanwhile my 8.1 desktop has remained stable and usable all throughout this Win 10 madness.

So let's see...  Constant Win 10 upgrades that make you spend literally days or weeks to reconfigure and get just right, settings reversions you have to keep on top of, and nothing new or interesting to offset that pain; all the while the older operating systems just run and run stably.

Yeah, let me get right on making Win 10 my chosen desktop system.  NOT!

-Noel

When you install the "upgrade" from 10240 to 10586 do you get the setup screens like you would have gotten during the initial "upgrade"?