Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Yeah, I can see this need for re-theming over and over again getting really old, really fast. What a pain in the neck.

It never occurred to me I might have to keep notes on what I did in the Aero Glass UI so that I could repeat the choices later on. Silly me, I thought my selections might persist and I'd be done with that. Now I know better.

--JorgeA

IMO, that's the way to go. The 10 fail is still ongoing, and if push comes to shove, 7 is mature enough to allow stopping udates altogether, if need be.

How would you respond to some people's pre-programmed reaction to stopping updates, that You're Leaving Your PC Vulnerable and Exposed to Attack and If You Get Infected, You Deserve What'll Happen to You?

--JorgeA

That's just laughable...  Microsoft's position is that "We originally built it to barely hang together, and when someone discovers yet another vulnerability you NEED us to swing into action to patch it or it'll fall down on you."

Just think about that crap!

Microsoft manages and leverages mediocrity better than any entity on the planet.

-Noel

I have used Win 98 SE well beyond any support provided by MS, and keep on using XPSP3 for more tha one year since MS started declaring it suicide to do so. I've been using MS-DOS continuously, from v. 1.1.

[...] I've had a BITNET account at least from 1991, before we had real internet here on Brazil. As soon as there was internet available I've moved over to it. I've participated in listservs, then usenet newsgroups, then forums, so I was as current about what was happening abroad as possible from here. But, in all this time, I've had only four virus episodes (I mean really getting the machine infected, not caching viruses and deleting them without the machine getting infected): ping-pong, stoned, brasil and jerusalem. The first three were boot sector infectors, being easy to remove by hand, by using debug or symdeb or NU (the good old Norton hexeditor). Jerusalem cost me a reinstall from scratch, and taught me viruses were a serious matter. Some time later the McAfee ViruScan arrived in Brazil, and I've used it continuously up to 2002 or 2003, when I switched to AVG, which I use up to the present. Incidentally, note that all those four viruses were caught from 5 1/4 floppies! When I began using fast internet at home (July 2003) I installed a FreeBSD firewall that latter I've changed for a Linux one that I use today. My scanner cached numerous viruses along all this time, but I've managed to avoid infection up to now. I've seen much damage due to viruses along this time, but not on my own machines. And, anyway, I do backup obsessively.

Moreover, my backups are dumb byte-by-byte images, and I keep libraries of them. That said, my answer to "You're Leaving Your PC Vulnerable and Exposed to Attack and If You Get Infected, You Deserve What'll Happen to You" is:

post-134642-0-25400900-1447526849.gif

Well well well, what do we have here?

Reddit user ConsuelaSaysNoNo has this to say:

PSA: Warning! The Windows 10 "Fall Update" resets ALL your default programs!

I'm not sure why Microsoft finds it necessary to RESET my default programs after the update. Why?

All my defaults for pictures, videos, songs, and the web browser were reset to their s***ty "metro app" counterparts. After the update I had to revert back to Windows Photo Viewer/Media Player, and Google Chrome. It even reset my default .PDF opener to Edge, and I had to change it back to Acrobat Reader!

This is ridiculous. The update shouldn't mess with users' settings!

(And no, I did not upgrade using the Media Creation Tool. I waited until Windows Update had the update).

This is just shocking. If I remember correctly, an in place upgrade from 95-98, 2000-XP or XP-Vista still kept default programs, and that's between two entirely different versions of Windows not a service pack to an existing one.

Edited by rn10950

... A number of privacy settings were changed from the way I had put them prior to the installation of 10586. In particular, every switch in "background apps" under Settings, every one of which I had set to OFF, was now turned ON ...

... Spybot was declared incompatible with Win10 and got removed from the Start Menu and its Desktop icon disappeared ...

... All Apps that were de-provisioned have been restored ...

... Many configuration tweaks that I had applied have been wiped out ...

... All my defaults for pictures, videos, songs, and the web browser were reset to their s***ty "metro app" counterparts ...

bendover.jpg

bit off topic, but are there any alternative UIs that don't rely heavily the ever changing/degenerating defult Windows UI?

There are individual components, but I doubt that there's a full shell replacement. Explorer++ is a good clone of the 98-XP Explorer for later versions of Windows. The guys working on the ReactOS project are cloning the XP explorer, along with the Desktop and Taskbar, but I haven't got it to run successfully on Windows 10. Some people on the thinkpad forums have gotten the real Windows Classic theme to run on Windows 8 and 10, but there are bugs, particularly with Explorer. Right now, I'm experimenting with Linux to have a failsafe once developers drop Windows 7 support from their applications.

This weekend after getting back on cable internet (local provider was offering a good deal so I finally decided to drop dialup for now), I decided to drop XP and try Linux myself.  I'm running Zorin 9 Core-it's a tad bit different, but it feels good to know I don't have to be dependent on M$ if I don't want to be!

Well well well, what do we have here?

Reddit user ConsuelaSaysNoNo has this to say:

PSA: Warning! The Windows 10 "Fall Update" resets ALL your default programs!

I'm not sure why Microsoft finds it necessary to RESET my default programs after the update. Why?

All my defaults for pictures, videos, songs, and the web browser were reset to their s***ty "metro app" counterparts. After the update I had to revert back to Windows Photo Viewer/Media Player, and Google Chrome. It even reset my default .PDF opener to Edge, and I had to change it back to Acrobat Reader!

This is ridiculous. The update shouldn't mess with users' settings!

(And no, I did not upgrade using the Media Creation Tool. I waited until Windows Update had the update).

This is just shocking. If I remember correctly, an in place upgrade from 95-98, 2000-XP or XP-Vista still kept default programs, and that's between two entirely different versions of Windows not a service pack to an existing one.

It IS shocking, not to say disgusting and insulting, and word is spreading around the tech press:

Has Windows 10 November Update (Threshold 2) reset your privacy settings and default apps?

It might seem silly that you should have to go through all of this for a second time if you have already spent time customizing things to your liking, but in many ways this is very much in keeping with the launch of Windows 10.

--JorgeA

... A number of privacy settings were changed from the way I had put them prior to the installation of 10586. In particular, every switch in "background apps" under Settings, every one of which I had set to OFF, was now turned ON ...

... Spybot was declared incompatible with Win10 and got removed from the Start Menu and its Desktop icon disappeared ...

... All Apps that were de-provisioned have been restored ...

... Many configuration tweaks that I had applied have been wiped out ...

... All my defaults for pictures, videos, songs, and the web browser were reset to their s***ty "metro app" counterparts ...

bendover.jpg

Very appropriate to the situation! :}

--JorgeA

Yeah, I can see that doll being used for all sorts of mischief.

Suppose that a little kid engages in some of that "role play" and fantasizing that they discuss in the article, and the role-playing has to do with getting abused by Mom. Or the kid simply just got yelled at, and is taking out its frustrations by talking to Barbie and saying slanderous things about Dad. It could be a gold mine for enterprising lawyers.

The risks far outweigh the benefits IMHO.

--JorgeA

Hahaha, trust the cloud and online-DRM they said..

As of November 15, 2015, Zune services will be retired. You will no longer be able to stream or download content to your device from the Zune music service

Content that was purchased with DRM may not play if the license can’t be renewed.

All your DRMed Zune files are expired and dead. Thanks for the ride.