Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

By the way, does anyone believe in their fairy-tale that Windows 10 won't be a free upgrade for 7 and 8.1 users in july 2016 anymore and thus these nags will stop?

No way.

I suspect that, free or not, the nags will continue forever.

Do you mean, even if W10 will becomes a paid-upgrade, the nags will continue?

Windows installs automatically and then asks immediately for a credit-card or it deactivates itself. That's so crazy, it would fit NuMicrosoft perfectly.

Sure, why not. Once Win10 were installed, you'd be given 30 days to either send payment or roll back to Win7. If you didn't do either one, Windows would start rebooting automatically every 2 hours, like the Win8 preview versions did.

This arrangement would create maximum inconvenience for the user, and so would be more likely to get them to stay on Win10 (and pay up).

At this point, nothing from Microsoft would surprise me.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Sure, why not. Once Win10 were installed, you'd be given 30 days to either send payment or roll back to Win7.

I am pretty sure there won't be a roll-back to W7 option.

They would rather force non-disabable  ads on you if you keep W10 unpaid. 

Notwithstanding GWX, there have been folks who have reported online that the Win 10 "up"grade proceeded without their permission.

Did they or some other user of their computer accidentally click through and take the wrong decision when prompted by GWX?  It's possible.

-Noel

Notwithstanding GWX, there have been folks who have reported online that the Win 10 "up"grade proceeded without their permission.

Did they or some other user of their computer accidentally click through and take the wrong decision when prompted by GWX?  It's possible.

-Noel

IIRC, Microsoft claimed it was an "accident" at their end. Methinks it was actually a trial balloon to see if the procedure worked -- or if there was a big uproar over it.

--JorgeA

That was a "test-run".

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2994117/microsoft-windows/microsoft-accidentally-upgrades-win7-and-81-pcs-to-windows-10.html

Nice find!

In other words, somebody in a position of authority started running this forced upgrade on or before Oct. 9, and Microsoft didn't fix it until Bright brought it to Microsoft's attention on Oct. 15. Wonder how many Windows 10 installs there are now?

Time to go check the OS usage stats and see if there was an unexpected uptick for Win10 in the first half of October.

--JorgeA

Formfiller's link led me to a follow-up piece by Woody Leonhard, reporting on a program to stop Win10 upgrades cold, even if the process has already started:

Unwanted Win7/Win8.1 upgrades to Win10 can now be stopped

A month later, on Oct. 14, I wrote about Mayfield's new version of GWX Control Panel, which managed to snip off all parts of the crawling GWX monster, as long as you ran it before it metastasized. However, once your PC started seeing Windows Update notifications that "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready" or "It's almost time for your upgrade" -- allowing you to reschedule but not cancel the update -- it was too late.

Today I'm very happy to announce that Mayfield has had a couple of major breakthroughs, and his new version of GWX Control Panel can even inoculate systems that have reached those advanced stages...

[...]

We've been testing this latest version over on AskWoody.com, and there are reports from many people now who say this latest version has brought their PCs back from the brink.

--JorgeA

We've been testing this latest version over on AskWoody.com, and there are reports from many people now who say this latest version has brought their PCs back from the brink.

So the forced upgrade bricked their PCs? Where's the fucking shitstorm?

Scary how docile people became. In the 90s and 2000s tech-shitstorms appeared for far less (remember the Pentium III serial number fuss or Vista's "DRM"?)

Everything changed this decade.

Right.  They're definitely pushing the envelope to define the new normal.

Got to get all those sheep used to being fleeced in order to get them ready for the slaughter.

Where is the Justice Department in all this?  I guess the law is all about precedent and "the new normal" too.

-Noel

We've been testing this latest version over on AskWoody.com, and there are reports from many people now who say this latest version has brought their PCs back from the brink.

So the forced upgrade bricked their PCs? Where's the f***ing s***storm?

Scary how docile people became. In the 90s and 2000s tech-s***storms appeared for far less (remember the Pentium III serial number fuss or Vista's "DRM"?)

Everything changed this decade.

It's not THAT bad AFAICT. Not yet, anyway. Woody says that his readers' computers were "on the brink" of installing Win10, not that they were bricked.

Maybe I missed something else and PCs are in fact getting bricked by the "up"grade?  :unsure:

--JorgeA

Formfiller's link led me to a follow-up piece by Woody Leonhard, reporting on a program to stop Win10 upgrades cold, even if the process has already started:

Unwanted Win7/Win8.1 upgrades to Win10 can now be stopped

A month later, on Oct. 14, I wrote about Mayfield's new version of GWX Control Panel, which managed to snip off all parts of the crawling GWX monster, as long as you ran it before it metastasized. However, once your PC started seeing Windows Update notifications that "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready" or "It's almost time for your upgrade" -- allowing you to reschedule but not cancel the update -- it was too late.

Today I'm very happy to announce that Mayfield has had a couple of major breakthroughs, and his new version of GWX Control Panel can even inoculate systems that have reached those advanced stages...

[...]

We've been testing this latest version over on AskWoody.com, and there are reports from many people now who say this latest version has brought their PCs back from the brink.

--JorgeA

All we need now is a boot CD that you can insert into your PC after an "upgrade" that initiates a Win7/8 rollback. I had an issue with a failed "upgrade" on a family member's custom PC that needed to rollback to 7, it took me at least an hour to get the thing into safe mode, just to start the "downgrade" (read: upgrade) process. (Oh, F8, how I miss thee)

It’s scary how especially Microsoft was able to mold the summer of worms and their security problems to their own advantage.

“You have to accept every shit we do and every privacy intrusion, or else we cut you off from the security patches and then THE EVIL HACKERS. THE HACKERS WILL COME”

Who knew that the worm authors, script kiddies and hackers “fighting the system” helped to establish the system at the end.

And don't forget, once we've cut off the patches ultimately they'll say "your system is a threat to all the others, since it's unpatched - therefore we must deactivate your license".

Microsoft:  Managing Mediocrity to Their Advantage for a Third of a Century

-Noel