Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I mentioned recently a client of mine... a lovely old widower lady who remains a favorite among the children, who brought me her laptop to be fixed.

The very one she said she hated because of Windows 8.

Initially I cleansed the machine of bugs and viruses, all the registries and cookies. Removed the crapware and toolbars. Disabled Win10 updates.

I mentioned how an SSD would boost this Sandy Bridge level notebook to modern standards and with Classic Shell she would feel right at home.

Well, she accepted to try and fit a proper Samsung 840Pro 256Gb SSD, cloned all 8! partitions off the original drive... jeez, recovery stuff is getting bigger.

I received a text message last night that filled my boots.  "Thanks Sean, The laptop is MUCH quicker now"

She will be in Africa or something next week. 

Success!

Oh, I had to edit this for two reasons.

One, She isn't actually adverse to what Windows 10 might actually have to give..... we may upgrade the little Asus yet.

Global Traveler that she is.

Second, This is a true case of an actually real 'old' person that also appreciates 'hotting up' something.

Hehe, She laughed at my car when I rolled in the driveway. Shitbox on the outside, awesome on the inside. Chatted about old times.

Edited by ralcool

Opens fine here at the time of posting.

Try with http instead of https, maybe you have issues with secured connections.

Alternatively, the IP/domain may be blocked by some tool you have installed or by your ISP. Try a ping/tracert. Try a proxy.

This Win10 privacy website was down the last time I checked, but now it seems to be back up. They also have a page for Windows 7 and 8.1, mostly for the purpose of removing telemetry and Win10-related updates.

--JorgeA

can't open the site

That's odd, it opens fine here. Just tried it again.

Maybe you already downloaded some "telemetry" updates and now Windows won't let you access pro-privacy sites.  :P

--JorgeA

Microsoft must be getting really desperate:

Upcoming Windows 10 patch begs you not to change default programs, switch browsers

Ever since it launched, Microsoft has been hard at work fixing bugs and improving various aspects of Windows 10. Unfortunately, what Redmond considers a priority doesn’t always match with what end users are hoping for. Data from the upcoming Windows 10 preview build (10568) suggests that the operating system’s newest feature… is begging.

Users have found that when they attempt to change program defaults away from Microsoft’s pre-installed software bundle, the OS no longer wordlessly acquiesces...

Guess Edge isn't doing all that well, even among the supposed trillions of delighted new converts to Windows 10.

Oh, and check out the image of this tweet by Peter Bright:

PeterBCortana.png

Peter was a big Metro fanboy when Win8 came out, to the point where @CharlotteTheHarlot nicknamed him "Not-so" Bright. But as he seems to be less enthused about Win10, he's slowly earning his last name back.  ;)

The writer of the ExtremeTech post, Joel Hruska, says:

I initially intended to upgrade to Windows 10, but the longer I’ve waited, the more uncertain I am that doing so is a good idea. It’s not a question of whether the UI is faster or DX12 a better gaming API — I’m fundamentally uninterested in engaging in a protracted fight with my operating system. In the past six weeks, we’ve seen Microsoft start including app suggestions in your own start menu, accidentally force-upgrade some users to Windows 10, download Windows 10 to systems even when the user has not requested that this occur, refuse to shut off telemetry, and fail to address problems with its own patching model.

--JorgeA

Wish I knew!  :(  It's been what, a couple of years now?

I did see a few posts by him more recently in a forum that was created in 2012 when the Windows 8 Deeper Impressions thread was first closed and ultimately moved from the Windows 8 subforum over to the General Discussion subforum, and some people feared that Microsoft had leaned on MSFN. IIRC his most recent postings in that other forum were from last year (?), but they were at best sporadic and short.

All I can think of is that either there was some family/health issue, or else he simply got burned out. He did put in a helluva lot of work into his MSFN postings, which AFAIK were both greatly and universally appreciated. (Except for Win8 fans, I guess.  :) )

--JorgeA

Even more joys of cloud computing:

Microsoft OneDrive is down worldwide

Cloud computing is a wonderful thing - except, of course, when you can't connect to the servers on which your files are stored. Unfortunately, many users are finding this out for themselves today, as there are widespread reports of people being unable to connect to Microsoft's OneDrive today.

Ah yes, the price of convenience. OneDrive files seem to be inaccessible a lot more often than are my files on my own PC... :whistle:

How "convenient" is it not to be able to retrieve your own files when you need them? For chrissakes, don't be so d*mn lazy and just copy them over from your PC to your laptop or whatever next time you need to open the files at an offsite meeting. Sheesh. If you can't open 'em when you need 'em because you were relying on the stupid spycloud, you get what you deserve.

--JorgeA

P.S. Have you noticed that Neowin has rigged things such that you can no longer highlight just the headline alone, for copy-and-pasting into a forum thread? All sorts of other unwanted stuff gets highlighted along with it, no matter which direction you approach the headline from with your mouse pointer. I had to type the above headline by hand. :thumbdown

Oh God, the NuMicrosoft craziness never stops:

A user was trying out the new Office 2016 Preview and ran into a problem. He wanted to configure his Exchange account manually, by entering the server names, but Outlook 2016 doesn’t have that option for Exchange accounts

Comments:

It took me hours to find out what Microsoft has changed…
Since there is no quick way to fix that (hosted Exchange account) I had to go back to Office 2013
That took another hour….
Very bad job Microsoft :-(
Data hunger with Windows10 and now forcing specific technique for keeping a running system run… Both no good ideas…
Maybe it getting time to consider a change…

This is the dumbest move I’ve seen MS make for a while.

We have no need of ActiveSync. Our profiles are fine and have no need of ‘more stability’. They could have easily offered both EAS and traditional Exchange options – and having to offer users low-level regedit solutions for what is version *fifteen* of your software is…well, dumb.

Asserting (or actually, *insisting*) that it’s EAS-or-bust is right up there with ‘well, of course you’ll be using metro’. Dumb.

Hobbyist freetard projects provide more productline-stability than this NuMicrosoft garbage nowadays.

NuMS never stops to mess up, ever. It's awesome how this company always finds some way to p*** off their customers since 2012.
Edited by Formfiller

What puzzles me is that since obviously:

1. adding a given feature may cost a lot of time and effort
  2. not adding a given feature (senseless as it might be) may cost in terms of less sales of the product

the decision for the one or the other needs to be pondered, but WHY (the heck) removing an existing feature (BTW for no reason)?

It costs anyway some effort and you can be sure that you will pi** off at least a part of your customers.

jaclaz

the decision for the one or the other needs to be pondered, but WHY (the heck) removing an existing feature (BTW for no reason)?

It costs anyway some effort and you can be sure that you will pi** off at least a part of your customers.

Some reasons:

1. Company-wide attention deficit disorder.  As seen by that upgrade-scheme of Windows 10 or adding small stupid changes for no reason at all that everyone hates (like the ALL-CAPS menus in Visual Studio when W8 appeared). They are doing stuff just because.

2. Desire for "purified standards". NuMS has adopted a loony "pure-standards" (also known as ("you should ONLY use this or else!) ideology, that was once common-place on places like Slashdot etc. That's why for example the W8 mail-app did not support POP3, despite being the most common mail-protocol in the world.

3. Piss off the userbase on purpose, especially the technical one like in this case. At this point that's a viable explanation! I've had my fair share of encounters with NuMS shills and know through their Freudian tongue-slips that there was this "they hate us, let's hate them back" mood during the W8-siege at MS (probably one of the reasons they retired the technet subscription). That attitude is probably still there.

They seem to have lost all touch with reality:

ap488224629775.jpg

Who knows, maybe that's all they can see with their hololenses:

article-0-1AE0C93D00000578-402_634x400.j

Perhaps if all this was not a facade to bring about their evil global data mining and spying scheme, it'd be funny how pathetic all those guys look...

Edited by loblo

WHY (the heck) removing an existing feature (BTW for no reason)?

I'm convinced they're marching to some higher level multi-year plan to eliminate computing as we know it and bridge to something where every little bit of data manipulation will cost you.

-Noel