Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

More contempt for previous Microsoft OSes: check out the discussion in this thread, starting with post #6825 and continuing on the next page.

The participants feel their way through the issue, until they determine that the culprit is the suspicious KB2999226 that we've talked about (see here and here). Turns out that MSFT sent out a Win10-related file to a Vista system, using an encryption algorithm that Vista isn't equipped to handle.

One thread participant observes that

It's not the first time.

Earlier, EMET 4.1 Update 1 was signed with SHA256, not supported on Vista.

Later, a new EMET 4.1 Update version was released, signed using SHA1.

EMET 5.2 was also signed using SHA1.

But now with KB2999226 Microsoft seems to make the same mistake all over again.

Well, I think Microsoft just doesn't care.

--JorgeA

It has been a while since I've said/posted anything.  Since I really don't have a horse in the race, (The Penguin has become the primary) thought probably better to just watch from the sidelines.  But, the Microsoft TV ads, here in America, anyway, use children and show absolutely no hint of inovation.  This has caused me to have a question.

Are they using children because....

1.) it is an OS for children?

or

2.) it is a childish OS?

I've been stumped about this now for a while.

Apropos of this:

Linux kernel development suffering from the "internet of hate"

Another good Linux developer turned away, simply because the developers had no patience for personal respect. Sure, one could easily be respected for technical prowess, because that's what gets things done. But those personal feelings? They had no place in the stiff and challenging world of kernel development.

It's like working in an IT department where all of your colleagues make fun and yell at you in order to motivate you to get the job done. Unfortunately, this all stems from the head penguin himself... Linus Torvalds. He leads with a sharp and iron tongue. His foul and abusive language is what he strongly believes gets things done.

--JorgeA

It has been a while since I've said/posted anything.  Since I really don't have a horse in the race, (The Penguin has become the primary) thought probably better to just watch from the sidelines.  But, the Microsoft TV ads, here in America, anyway, use children and show absolutely no hint of inovation.  This has caused me to have a question.

Are they using children because....

1.) it is an OS for children?

or

2.) it is a childish OS?

I've been stumped about this now for a while.

Great to hear from you again! :hello:

Funny I should have posted something about the Linux developer community (such as it is), and only THEN seen your post saying that Linux is now your primary OS.

Regarding your questions about Windows 10, my reply is that you don't need to decide between them. The answer to both is Yes. :thumbdown

--JorgeA

P.S. Looks like my (our) choices are limited to selecting from among various groups of jerks. Well, at least the Linux jerks don't try to spy on my activities. I'll be moving towards them over the next few years if Microsoft doesn't mend its ways.

Realistically, we need a company (Intel maybe?) to develop a professional OS for serious computing use, charge a commensurate amount for a professional system, and support it like a professional company.  Hang signs outside the engineering organization that say "no one under the age of 35 need apply".

Just because Microsoft decided to change to a "freemium, ad supported" model doesn't mean it's impossible to make money by selling software licenses the old fashioned way.  And someone's GOT to make a professional system, especially if they actively kill off the older versions of Windows.  The world cannot engineer the future using toys!

-Noel

Solaris may be the best candidate. With Mac OS X second best. If free software counts, IllumOS has a good start, too.

But don't count MS as pushing daisies just yet. They've just begun living through the greatest OS flopping ever, but they are big enough to survive it and maybe even reenter the market with something good enough (not great, though) in time not to go ENIAC's way...

What if Microsofts' own SKU system made any sense.

IF, Windows 8 > 10 Professional meant just that.

Home editions were enabled by default to freeware ad supported mode.  OEMs install for free since its a traditional platform OS for lap/desktops.

Professional Edition however is a paid classic configurable Windows environment for a new age.  From DIY gaming monsters, home theater, POS, folding farms- or any other serious computing systems in unique roles using built off the shelf hardware.

Surely they have spent all this time making the core of Windows modular enough for this to be cake.

Or, we open source XP... perhaps reverse engineer x86?..nah..., We could never emulate all the expected bugs to run anything reliably.

Hehe

Uh, I just now noticed that they still have the Surface line going, now even with a real notebook (surface book). Weird. I thought Nadella didn’t want to concetrate on the “devices” part anymore?

How are the OEMs feeling about this? MS is attacking their notebook-market now, the core of any Windows OEM.

A tablet was kinda excusable, but this is an outright declaration of war against OEMs.

Edited by Formfiller

What if Microsofts' own SKU system made any sense.

IF, Windows 8 > 10 Professional meant just that.

Home editions were enabled by default to freeware ad supported mode.  OEMs install for free since its a traditional platform OS for lap/desktops.

Professional Edition however is a paid classic configurable Windows environment for a new age.  From DIY gaming monsters, home theater, POS, folding farms- or any other serious computing systems in unique roles using built off the shelf hardware.

That would be a very sensible strategy.

Like NoelC, I'd gladly pay a premium to be able to use the latest OS but without the ads and spying. Not sure how much of a premium, though -- double the retail price of the Home edition sounds acceptable.

--JorgeA

Uh, I just now noticed that they still have the Surface line going, now even with a real notebook (surface book). Weird. I thought Nadella didn’t want to concetrate on the “devices” part anymore?

How are the OEMs feeling about this? MS is attacking their notebook-market now, the core of any Windows OEM.

A tablet was kinda excusable, but this is an outright declaration of war against OEMs.

This may not remain a point of contention for very long:

Microsoft's Windows 10 hardware event disappoints

"Where’s the beef?" That iconic phrase from the annals of advertising yore is just one of the thoughts that come to mind after viewing the recent Windows 10 "Hardware Event" in New York. Microsoft had an opportunity to really "wow" the industry with something new and innovative. Instead, it served up a re-hash of technologies and trends that have been old news for months now[...]

[...]

Bottom Line: After so much hype, the "Windows 10 Hardware Event" was a huge disappointment. Microsoft lightly tweaked Surface Pro, introduced its obese cousin, and set the stage for either mass shootings or riots from frustrated mobile users (that object whizzing by your head was a Lumia 950XL after the owner realized she couldn’t snap Edge and Word together).

A lot of good quotable lines between the introduction and the conclusion. My favorite one:

To be sure, the Surface Book’s specifications are impressive -- for a hybrid device. However, that starting price point of $1499 ensures that only Tesla owners will be buying one.

--JorgeA

A lot of good quotable lines between the introduction and the conclusion. My favorite one:

To be sure, the Surface Book’s specifications are impressive -- for a hybrid device. However, that starting price point of $1499 ensures that only Tesla owners will be buying one.

--JorgeA

Well, it's not like it's the first time (just to put things in context) and it happened not that much time ago:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/22/microsoft-announces-release-date-for-most-expensive-tablet-ever.html

Anyway even this new laptop notebook tablet phablet noteblet booklet *whatever* is nothing a "serious" user could not afford, that is if it provided a "serious" OS, maybe that would be an interesting deal, you pay a premium price for MS's own (BTW most probably very good) hardware and they give you in exchange for your trust in them an actually working OS without all the crap/ads/spying/whatever :unsure:.

Wait a minute :huh: , this sounds a lot like what Apple has done for the last what, thirty years?  :w00t:

Let me uncheck the "innovative marketing model" in the feature list. :blushing:

;)

jaclaz

Or, we open source XP... perhaps reverse engineer x86?..nah..., We could never emulate all the expected bugs to run anything reliably.

guy who called himself WinOCManage / WinOCM / Kenneth

managed to merge WRK and leaked Server 2003 source code

dunno if it can be still found for download tho

but basically one had source code for dnserv2003

--JorgeA

Well, it's not like it's the first time (just to put things in context) and it happened not that much time ago:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/22/microsoft-announces-release-date-for-most-expensive-tablet-ever.html

Anyway even this new laptop notebook tablet phablet noteblet booklet *whatever* is nothing a "serious" user could not afford, that is if it provided a "serious" OS, maybe that would be an interesting deal, you pay a premium price for MS's own (BTW most probably very good) hardware and they give you in exchange for your trust in them an actually working OS without all the crap/ads/spying/whatever :unsure:.

Wait a minute :huh: , this sounds a lot like what Apple has done for the last what, thirty years?  :w00t:

Let me uncheck the "innovative marketing model" in the feature list. :blushing:

;)

jaclaz

There exists a point of contention that Xbox tried to go there... but it was a locked down limited use console built from off the shelf contemporary hardware.

Instead of setting new standards of media viewing, we had to wait for the likes of XMBC and others to make it happen. Custom bioses and larger hdds.

It is equally useless today. Xbox proves there is a solid division within Microsoft. Hipsters vs's Gangsters.

Instead of having native support in windows for things like Kinnect, we get media frenzy over menus and tiles. Behind the scenes is new trackers and DRM.

Microsoft are always late to the party, and fail at innovation. History tells it all. When Ballmer would speak, it sounded like your uncle trying to explain cold fusion- and that as soon as someone invents it, we'll be there to file a lawsuit to own it.

2c