Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

A Windows 10 field report...

A business associate asked me last week if I'd made the switch yet to Win10. When I replied that I had not because it's looking like a privacy nightmare, and that I'll probably move over to Linux once Win7 support ends, she wrote the following:

I switched to a Mac a little over a year ago but was still working also on Windows. When 10 got such horrible reviews I switched over to the Mac full time. ******* was going to go ahead and download 10 on his computer and then they put it on the work computer and nothing works any more. They're pulling hair, paperwork is backing up, etc. So he went out and bought a Mac, too. (Linux is a little beyond him)

Enough experiences like this, and you're looking at a disaster of Windows 8 proportions -- at least. :ph34r:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Windows 10 sees people ditching IE -- but Chrome wins out, not Edge

The most amazing stat there is that Edge usage currently is actually lower than it was before Windows 10 was foisted on millions launched on July 29. And the trend appears to remain slightly downward (and certainly not upward) despite the presumed ongoing installation of new Win10 systems.

quantcast_windows_10_browser_usage-600x4

Terry Myerson was bragging on Monday that 650 billion Web pages had been viewed on Edge. A figure almost completely devoid of meaning. :boring:

--JorgeA

Windows 10 sees people ditching IE -- but Chrome wins out, not Edge

The most amazing stat there is that Edge usage currently is actually lower than it was before Windows 10 was foisted on millions launched on July 29. And the trend appears to remain slightly downward (and certainly not upward) despite the presumed ongoing installation of new Win10 systems.

quantcast_windows_10_browser_usage-600x4

Terry Myerson was bragging on Monday that 650 billion Web pages had been viewed on Edge. A figure almost completely devoid of meaning. :boring:

--JorgeA

On the same note, Firefox overtook IE for the first time ever last month.

I'm also curious how many of those 650 billion web pages are mozilla.org or chrome.google.com.

Edited by rn10950

Enough experiences like this, and you're looking at a disaster of Windows 8 proportions -- at least. :ph34r:

The statcounter site metrics, which now show Windows 10 adoption leveling off, shows Win 8 and 8.1 - regarded by most as a failure - still installed on at least 2x as many computers as WIn 10, and Win 7 on 6x as many.

Think about that.  People have had to take exceptional measures (or exhibit exceptional patience) to avoid having GWX install Windows 10 on them (or to go back to what they had before).

There will always be a slow rate of adoption based on the burnout and replacement of computer systems, but frankly the fact that the Win 10 system adoption rate is still curving toward level says that the public is not stupid, nor frivolous about letting Microsoft do whatever they want when they want.  That seems a hopeful sign to me.  You really DO have to build a better mousetrap, not just give away a cheap lookalike mousetrap.

-Noel

Bumped into this GIF on my travels (right click + view image for full satanic splendor):

hr0wx3Z.gif

Forget about 'spyware disabling', once you've allowed your comp to be posessed by such evil nothing short of this will save you:

TheExorcist2.jpg

Bumped into this GIF on my travels (right click + view image for full satanic splendor):

hr0wx3Z.gif

Forget about 'spyware disabling', once you've allowed your comp to be posessed by such evil nothing short of this will save you:

TheExorcist2.jpg

Even though I knew this was going on, watching it happen with Wireshark is just shocking.

Worryingly, A client was talking to me yesterday about her laptop. Win8.1, running slowly since holidays..... do you still fix computers?.....

She said, "Oh its the Windows 8 that everyone hates, I'm thinking about getting 10 since a friend told me it has a start MENU".

I quickly advised her of classic shell and that I'd install it as soon I saw the machine.

Also she told of how even though living with the new Windows 8 for some time... it still made no sense, and she gets completely lost.

Sanity will be restored.  A little SSD could wake up this decent Sandy Bridge Celeron, but not in the budget apparently, and hard to argue.

Just another day.

According to my son that works in a allstate insurance office when calling tech support (ms based) every time they mention windows 8.1 they just get disconnected.

I saw something on Reddit yesterday that confirms this.

YNScZWq.png

Isn't that a violation of MSFT's own terms? After all, they state that Windows 8.1 will be fully supported into 2018.

Some years ago, I had a problem with an XP machine and a MSFT tech sent me a hotfix and worked with me until the issue got resolved. That was around 2011, or some ten years after XP's launch. And now they can't be bothered to help with an OS that they introduced not even three years ago?

Time to get the blogs involved.

--JorgeA

On other (OT) news, Verizon and AOL "combining" their users tracking :w00t::ph34r:

https://www.propublica.org/article/verizons-zombie-cookie-gets-new-life

Verizon’s Zombie Cookie Gets New Life

Verizon is merging its cellphone tracking supercookie with AOL’s ad tracking network to match users’ online habits with their offline details.

At the end of the day - and hard as it may be to even THINK it - what the good MS have put together in 10 (re:tracking/advertising) may actually be children's play. :unsure:

jaclaz