Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I see significant potential for consumer backlash.  

Absolutely.  Yet somehow it will still become the "new normal".  Microsoft will not have to execute a Great Reset to survive.

The level of intrusion is already getting to be almost too complex to track, even by a geek armed with good skills and tools.

The old adage comes to mind...

41x0V9ymtEL.jpg

-Noel

The best thing about it is that people put up with all this spying and intrusion for something that's far worse than Windows from six years ago.

Aside from DirectX 12, EVERYTHING about it is a regression.

It looks just bland compared to W7, has more spyware in it than an unpatched XP computer in 2004, the handling is worse (multiple control panels), forced updates, adware natively baked in.. it's a darn joke. The only reason it isn't burned at the stake is because it has a slightly better UI than W8. If Windows 10 would look and feel absolutely awesome, if it would have some eye-popping 3D interface it would be at least understandable why some would be blinded by the shiny and forget all the intrusions in turn.

But W10 has nothing of that sort. It doesn't even have shiny! That makes it all the more ridiculous. People are ready to give away all their privacy for.. something that's worse than what was available for years already, even in the looks-department! OH MAN. Apparently "new" is all it takes. A new bag of crap is better than old gold. It really makes me sick. It's so f***ing depressing on all kinds of levels.

I am beginning to think Windows 8 was some sort of ploy for W10 - make the UI so bad at purpose, so that any Windows which corrects this will be hailed as the best thing ever, no matter the raw deals it brings to the table in return.

Edited by Formfiller

So if Harry Homeowner in rural North Dakota goes to his local Walmart and buys a new Windows 10 machine and he doesn't have broadband...how does Microsoft deal with that? While the vast majority of people in urban areas have broadband, I'd say a good chunk of customers in rural or remote areas do not and could acquire Windows 10 on a new PC or tablet bought at a local store. The question is, looks like they might have issues if their PCs can't regularly phone home to  Microsoft.

... meanwhile in the UK :thumbup , JFYI:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3200291/Farmer-sick-poor-internet-signal-built-DIY-mast.html

jaclaz

So if Harry Homeowner in rural North Dakota goes to his local Walmart and buys a new Windows 10 machine and he doesn't have broadband...how does Microsoft deal with that? While the vast majority of people in urban areas have broadband, I'd say a good chunk of customers in rural or remote areas do not and could acquire Windows 10 on a new PC or tablet bought at a local store. The question is, looks like they might have issues if their PCs can't regularly phone home to  Microsoft.

... meanwhile in the UK :thumbup , JFYI:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3200291/Farmer-sick-poor-internet-signal-built-DIY-mast.html

jaclaz

Oh yeah! My kind of hacker  :yes:

... Winaero.com had previously issued a post informing readers how to disable telemetry in build 10240. Now they're reporting that not only is it turned back on in the newest build, you can't turn it off ...

^ This reminds me of the film

Whenever the guinea pigs people inside the maze thought that they had it figured out, whoever was in control rearranged the labyrinth at will.

And at the end the only person that was OK was a retard.

Here's a somewhat middle-of-the-road viewpoint:

Screw cloud-connected operating systems — I want final say over who my PC talks to

With billions of dollars in revenue on the one hand and the frustration of privacy and security advocates on the other, it’s easy to see which route companies will take, especially when they can wrap these changes in a thick layer of plausible deniability and claimed user benefits. The network, after all, is hostile.

Imperfect as they are, however, user-level controls and policies are the last bulwark left. Supporting the need for such controls doesn’t mean rejecting connected devices with network location services. I’m the first to agree that connected devices with user-controlled behaviors can be a tremendous boon for end users. That’s why I’m eventually planning to upgrade to Windows 10, to take advantages of features like DirectX 12 — as soon as privacy advocates and researchers have finished putting the finishing touches on tweaks, settings, and under-the-hood changes that give me, not Microsoft, control of when and how the OS talks to others.

The best solution, of course, would be for enough users out there to deprive Microsoft of its anticipated billions in revenue, by refusing to install Windows 10 or to buy computers that come with it, to convince them that it was a bad idea.

--JorgeA

Man, Win10 must be really bad: even Paul Thurrott is underwhelmed by the new ability to color the title bar introduced in build 10525:

A Quick Look at Windows 10’s New Shell Color Capabilities

Coming soon in Windows 10 TH2 (“Threshold 2,” the October update to the OS), and available now to Windows Insiders in build 10525, is the ability to style window title bars with the current theme’s accent color. I’ve been looking forward to this addition. But the way it looks and works now isn’t optimal.

... I’ve been upgrading my PCs to the latest build, and of course one of the things I was most eager to see was whether this new color choice lived up to my expectations.

Not so much. 

What I’d like to see is the ability to independently apply the accent color to Start, the taskbar, window title bars, and to Action Center. Not that that would fix this issue. Overall, this is better than the alternative, I guess. But not much better.

--JorgeA

... Winaero.com had previously issued a post informing readers how to disable telemetry in build 10240. Now they're reporting that not only is it turned back on in the newest build, you can't turn it off ...

^ This reminds me of the film

Whenever the guinea pigs people inside the maze thought that they had it figured out, whoever was in control rearranged the labyrinth at will.

And at the end the only person that was OK was a retard.

Whoa! I'd never heard of this movie and watched the clip, thinking I might watch it with my better half.

Looked promising until the last few seconds of the clip: that's the kind of scene where she would jump up and run out of the room screaming to turn the TV off. :w00t:

--JorgeA

Looked promising until the last few seconds of the clip: that's the kind of scene where she would jump up and run out of the room screaming to turn the TV off.  :w00t:

Not without reason...

jaclaz

I am all for it now.

Sometimes, the only way to stop something is to let it run its course.

These companies will probably only face protest if their EULAs would contain clauses like "in case our CEO needs a new liver and you're the perfect candidate, you automatically agree to the donation by installing this software".

And even then you would probably find more than enough dolts: "What are you afraid of? Given the many users, what are the chances YOU will be selected for the transplant? Do you know the daily risk you face just by crossing the street? Entitled much?"

If you're in a bus or train and you accidentally peek at the smartphone or notebook of your neighbour, there's a high chance that you'll earn an angry look or even a comment. Later these same people have no qualms whatsoever to install literal keyloggers just to up some version number.

I don't want to get too philosophical here, but something is just not right nowadays.

I am all for it now.

I don't want to get too philosophical here, but something is just not right nowadays.

Well, of course they are doing for your own good :yes::

http://uk.businessinsider.com/spotify-wants-to-search-through-your-photo-roll-and-access-your-sensor-information-too-2015-8?op=1?r=US&IR=T

When contacted for comment, a Spotify spokesperson provided Business Insider with the following statement:

Spotify is constantly innovating and evolving its service to deliver the best possible experience for our users. This means delivering the perfect recommendations for every moment, and helping you to enjoy, discover and share more music than ever before. The data accessed simply helps us to tailor improved experiences to our users, and build new and personalised products for the future.

You surely don't want to come out as someone preventing innovation and evolution, or the enhancing the users experience, or the helping to "enjoy, discover and share more music than ever before" don't you? :unsure:

;)

As a side note, in my days, no one would be "sorry" unless he/she felt responsible for something not appropriate:

https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz