Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Note how the visually styled Reserve button built a moat around itself to keep from being infected by the Metroness.  :D

Wouldn't be surprised if it were designed that way to avoid tipping off the unsuspecting Win7 user as to the flat ugliness that awaits him. :puke:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Paul Thurrott claims that you can resize the Start Menu to eliminate the tiles:

Windows 7 fan? Try this. While you can’t really enable the same two column layout found in the Windows 7 Start menu, you can at least get rid of all those tiles you’re never going to glance at, resize the Start menu, and make it more efficient. (Just pin apps you use all the time to the taskbar.) It takes a while, but when you’re done, it can look like this. (You can also use the “Customize List” option to add items like Documents and Downloads to the list at the bottom of the Start menu.)

start-tiny.jpg

Build 10130 just finished installing on my test system, and I see no way to do that.

Anybody have an insight into how he did it? He provides no details, and I haven't found any settings to change that would affect that.

--JorgeA

Paul Thurrott claims that you can resize the Start Menu to eliminate the tiles:

Windows 7 fan? Try this. While you can’t really enable the same two column layout found in the Windows 7 Start menu, you can at least get rid of all those tiles you’re never going to glance at, resize the Start menu, and make it more efficient. (Just pin apps you use all the time to the taskbar.) It takes a while, but when you’re done, it can look like this. (You can also use the “Customize List” option to add items like Documents and Downloads to the list at the bottom of the Start menu.)

start-tiny.jpg

Build 10130 just finished installing on my test system, and I see no way to do that.

Anybody have an insight into how he did it? He provides no details, and I haven't found any settings to change that would affect that.

--JorgeA

That looks like a less-functional version of the Win9x Start menu:

off_word_start.gif

I don't know how he did it, but I am curious to why you can't just pin shortcuts to the top of the Start Menu like you can do in all versions of Windows from Windows 95 to Windows 7. I personally don't care for the whole taskbar pinning thing and just use the Start menu and Desktop for everything, so this will force me to Classic Shell or to stay on 2003/XP/7 (more probable).

What update is that new notification in the WU window apart of anyway, is it KB3035583?

Who knows?  There are half a dozen or more KBs that mention "easing the upgrade to Windows 10" or some such BS.

I haven't hidden every last one in the "how to prevent..." thread, myself, and I don't get the notice.  These are the specific ones I've hidden:

KB2952664

KB3021917

KB3035583

KB3068708

Plus

KB2483139 (a whole bunch of Windows 7 language packs I don't need)

KB2876229 (Skype, which I do not need on my Win 7 system)

There could be some interaction...  For example, having installed the "GWX" update, KB3035583, it might install other stuff.  I wonder whether installing the update, then running and removing the update undoes everything it has infected affected.

-Noel

Hmmmm. That looks strangely familiar and similar to http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/page-16#entry1096774:

I wonder what inspired today's Dilbert comic.  Hmmmm?

ml6w4z.gif

Cheers and Regards

Perhaps great minds thing alike?  But not to worry. It's true enough to be worth repeating. :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Perhaps great minds thing alike?  

Sure they do. :)

The issue at hand is however that also small (and teeny tiny) minds think alike, and when you put a discrete number of them together what comes out is the Syrius Cybernetics Corporation (actually its Marketing division). :

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Sirius_Cybernetics_Corporation

"Update, Share and Enjoy" :yes:

jaclaz

Hmmmm. That looks strangely familiar and similar to http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/page-16#entry1096774:

I wonder what inspired today's Dilbert comic.  Hmmmm?

ml6w4z.gif

Cheers and Regards

Perhaps great minds thing alike?  But not to worry. It's true enough to be worth repeating. :)

Cheers and Regards

There was a very short-lived Dilbert animated series, I recall the ep where they had bought two companies and were merging them, Pathway and E-Tech, and they needed a new name for the merged company so they simply dropped the "way" from Pathway and merged the two names together...(took me a few secs to get that one)

Paul Thurrott claims that you can resize the Start Menu to eliminate the tiles...

Anybody have an insight into how he did it?

Though Win 10 is less "discoverable" than prior versions, I managed it...

1.  Unpin every tile.

2.  Click and drag the right edge of the remaining open space to the left

-Noel

Hmmm -- it's at the click-and-drag stage that the process fails for me.

I see the double-arrow thingy, but dragging it to the left doesn't do anything. What makes it stranger (and more frustrating) is that I can resize the Start Menu vertically. Just not in the dimension I'm interested in, which is sideways.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA