Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Well... was the Fiat 127 much loved in Italy, in its day?

To bring the discussion back OT (sort of ;)), how about the Geo Metro?   :)

I once drove one of these as a loaner while my own car (a 6-cylinder Accord) was at the shop. What a piece of cr*p -- it struggled and strained to get up even to 65. That's 65 km/h, not MPH.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Knowing how generally Japanese people (and possibly Japanese CEO's are better at it) are usually very formal, polite and diplomatic, if Osamu Suzuki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro

described it as "a fishbone in my throat" there must be a reason....

Making a joint venture between Japanese and Americans to have a car made by Canadians? :unsure:

jaclaz

I like the new start menu and the OS seems very fast except the boot time. I hope it's not because I have a microsoft account and not a local one.

I don't like the autologger eigher, which I can't get rid of.

How big are your boot times?

Mine is about 40 seconds using a SSD and not too many programs, no RAM Disk etc.

In Win7 I had a best of 8 secs and after installing new staff, RAMDisk etc I stil have a boot time of 13 secs.

I use Boot Race.

I haven't taken out a stopwatch to make sure, but my test machine seems to take longer now to boot up than when it had only Windows 7 on it. Now it's double-booting and, no matter which OS I select to enter during bootup, it takes a while doing something in the background before reaching the logon screen.

--JorgeA

Windows 10 looks remarkably like Windows 98... except that even Win98 had 3D UI elements.

The influence it takes to present old style as "modern" still amazes me. I wish the basic Windows UI was still there, especially in Server editions. I bet Classic would be more responsive, because fancy shadows wouldn't be required to visibly draw one window on top of another. But actual work is needed to make the various windows look neat without any controls clipping or text not fitting in. That effort is probably considered not cost effective.

We know the company is asking users how they could improve the new PC Settings pane, and more importantly, what it will take for them to move away from Control Panel.

I wish they left the simplified PC Settings panel for novice users, and provided an "advanced" link in each category that opened a relevant applet from Control Panel when the user decides to learn more.

The right to customize Microsoft software can no longer be taken for granted. What should be a simple choice, a checkbox in settings, now requires more or less hacking. And Microsoft apologists will be happy with whatever the company puts out. That is depressing.

Like here, an eye-candy animation in Office 2013 is discussed.

Yeah, and MS shouldn't be making any decisions for you. You should decide all the features that they implement in any software that you use, before they make them.

Imagine you had to make all the decisions for any advanced tool you wanted to use. First of all, you would have to start from scratch as no other human decisions are allowed to be made prior – which would mean you start with a cave and a stick, and then go on from there. Good luck mate.

The setting existed, it had already been implemented, but hidden at that time, because we must accept the company's decision for what is best in all cases. If it is not the best, we must change the case (buy a faster PC to draw the fancy animation).

If "John" really feels that way, then he must be a supremely generic human being who unquestioningly accepts whatever plain-vanilla flavor that life offers him... because wanting the ability to customize your car, your home, your clothing to your preferences just means that "you got no f***ing respect for the hard work of others."

--JorgeA

Surprisingly for a highly geeky piece of software, EMET 5.0 incudes a wide variety of skins to choose from. You can even select a "Classic 7" skin that gives EMET a Windows 7 Basic look -- including the 3D scrollbar, 3D window buttons, and (gasp!) rounded window corners:

post-287775-0-21491000-1414691899_thumb.

Nobody can claim (truthfully) that these things are determined by the OS and cannot be customized to the user's preference.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Is Windows 10 the second coming of Vista?  ;)

This is what I got when I tested whether the Malicious Software Removal Tool (mrt.exe) would install in Win10TP:

post-287775-0-71173300-1414692380_thumb.     post-287775-0-56982900-1414692400_thumb.

--JorgeA

P.S. It did install and run fine.

It's anyone's guess why a company like Microsoft would stray from their course on releasing updates to Windows 8 and instead suddenly rebrand the whole product - all the while just continuing to plug along and do .1 types of things to it.  It seems to me it just makes their credibility evaporate a little more...

-Noel

as always they are copying apple
and as always they are years behind

and as always they have no innovations

last time I was excited about Win OS, was when Windows 7 alpha build 6801 came out

and new taskbar was unlocked

after that everything they made was UNINTERESTING !

Edited by vinifera