Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I read this today:

http://www.betanews.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-service-release-1/

Looks like the future we will have to get use to. This, with the privacy invasion,  is part of the reason I won't be going to Windows 10 anytime soon.

Adrian

It will be an update roll-up. One obvious difference to me seems to be that Windows 10 updates do not seem to show up on the Update Catalog, which is disappointing.

From that Neowin thread post by JorgeA:

In the setup screen, it will automatically use DHCP for your network - there is absolutely no option to change this to a static IP until you've booted to windows and done the pre-complete updates, so this really negates the point of installing updates before putting you into the OS if you can't do something as simple as configure your **** network card.

How stupid. They are artificially creating problems in areas that worked just fine before. Worktime well spent!

Anyway, more complaining

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1266376-windows-10-privacy-keylogger/?page=1

Had to laugh at this fantard:

User: Microsoft, build us a better OS.

Microsoft: No problem! We would like you to opt-in with anonymous data collection so that we can see how people are using the OS and cater to that.

User: Wha? Send you info about how I use my OS, No way! Invasion of privacy! Keylogger!

Microsoft: ...so you want us to improve the OS, but not have a method to see how people use the OS now?

That my friends, is how we end up with OS atrocities.

LOL. The OS atrocities happened after the extensive data minings started. Just by telemetry you won't get any good product. I don't uninstall programs often, but removing the uninstall function would be a catastrophe. But Microsoft is operating on exactly that premise (most networks are on DHCP, so let's remove any other options etc.) and this leads to just retarded results at the end.

Fantards: The lowest forms of life.

Where's that post where the Microsoft dweeb told me that "only few people used it" with regard to Windows Backup, so therefore it's not worth maintaining...

Ah, here it is...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b3b95b80-27ca-4081-a518-fa3fd3b187ab/windows-8-backup-restoral-possible-using-file-history?forum=W8ITProPreRel

Look for the post by BohdanR.

It's been clear for years that doom has been coming.

-Noel

It's been clear for years that doom has been coming.

-Noel

Yes, Microsoft's though process regarding telemetry is flat out from the loony bin.

"People spend most of their time in the living room - so let's remove the toilet".

Well, you'll love this one (official MS statement, bolded/highlighted):

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/30/pushed-over-the-edge/

When we asked Microsoft for a comment, we received the following from a company spokesperson: “We designed Windows 10 to provide a simple upgrade experience for users and a cohesive experience following the upgrade. During the upgrade, consumers have the choice to set defaults, including for web browsing. Following the upgrade, they can easily choose the default browser of their choice. As with all aspects of the product, we have designed Windows 10 as a service; if we learn from user experience that there are ways to make improvements, we will do so.

jaclaz

In the setup screen, it will automatically use DHCP for your network - there is absolutely no option to change this to a static IP until you've booted to windows and done the pre-complete updates, so this really negates the point of installing updates before putting you into the OS if you can't do something as simple as configure your **** network card.

OOBE in Windows 10 (as well as newer installs of 8.1) now will attempt to go online to download new/updated OOBE pages. One example would be (maybe :unsure: ) if they changed the EULA, it would be available on a new install immediately. Of course, you can just unplug the network cable. In my experience (so far) Windows 10 hasn't complained or had an error due to lack of internet access.

The real price of Windows 10 is your privacy

Windows 10 is more closely tied to a Microsoft account than any previous version of the OS. This allows Microsoft to assign an ID number to users that can then be used to track them across different devices, services, and apps. This in turn can be used to deliver closely targeted ads to people. Microsoft has been pushing the mobile first, cloud first philosophy for some time now, and it becomes clear with Windows 10 that the love of the cloud is as much to do with the ability it gives Microsoft to gather useful data as it is about convenience for users.

[...]

If you're a Windows Insider who has been working with the various review builds for some months, this may well not be news, but there are a tremendous number of people -- millions upon millions according to Microsoft -- making the switch for the first time. Many of these people know little or nothing about Windows 10, and have no idea of what to expect. Few people who are offered a free upgrade will turn it down, or question why it is free. It seems that the invasions of users' privacy that Windows 10 affords Microsoft is the real price that people are paying.

I read recently (can't remember where) that the Windows 10 EULA is something like 12,000 words long -- not counting supplemental documents such as the Privacy Statement. Yes, Microsoft is doing everything in its power to rig the game in its favor, while retaining the excuse that "you agreed to it, you should have read the license terms."

--JorgeA

And while we're on that subject...

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

Ahh, that's where I read about the length of the Windows EULA (technically, the "services agreement").   :blushing:

Well, here is Microsoft’s 12,000-word service agreement. Some of it is probably in English. We’re pretty sure it says you can’t steal Windows or use Windows to send spam, and also that Microsoft retains the right to take possession of your first-born child if it so chooses. And that’s only one of several documents you’ll have to read through.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA