Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Windows 10 reserved by "millions" according to Microsoft

I have no doubt but that they know exactly how many people have reserved Windows 10.

What I'm curious about is why they don't state just how many millions. Could it be that it's an embarrassing number?

Just sayin'...

--JorgeA

P.S. Another possibility I can think of is that they actually have no idea how many people have reserved Win10, and that this bragging is total B.S.

Edited by JorgeA

It'd be hilarious if at the end of the month they release a really serious OS, completely different than the one we've been seeing.

That wouild be the happiest tech surprise of the decade.

--JorgeA

Don't know how many here are old enough to remember the movie "WarGames"...but just about every day I find myself repeating that line the army guy delivers to Dabney Coleman at the end, I just replace "defense system" with any of our favorite 21st century disappointments. For example, "After very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new operating system sucks."

What's it been, 2 days?  Now another new build (10162) is downloading.

Every time one of these things installs a whole buttload of stuff gets reset back to they way they want it.

Is this aversion therapy?

-Noel

P.S. Another possibility I can think of is that they actually have no idea how many people have reserved Win10, and that this bragging is total B.S.

Naah, not only they know exactly the number but for each of them they have names, e-mail, geolocation and IP of all the connections they made, shopping habits and tastes, right now they are busy dividing the harvested mass into those that prefer vanilla and those that prefer chocolate in order to produce a "Soylent Green" like ice-cream that will fit all.

jaclaz

Don't know how many here are old enough to remember the movie "WarGames"...but just about every day I find myself repeating that line the army guy delivers to Dabney Coleman at the end, I just replace "defense system" with any of our favorite 21st century disappointments. For example, "After very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new operating system sucks."

Another quote from Wargames in regard to all this post Windows 7 idiocracy:

tumblr_m9izdk0TtR1rx9qkyo1_500.png

My worst week with Windows 10 Preview: When downloads go very, very wrong

Windows 10 kicked my butt this week.

If you’re looking for an exhaustive hands on of Windows 10 Mobile build 10149, this isn’t it. I spent most of Thursday afternoon trying to install it on two phones—managing to put one into an unresponsive state, and breaking Wi-Fi on the other. Instead, I’m sitting here [...] wondering whether other Windows Insiders like me will be willing to continue this life of adventure once Windows 10 launches.

--JorgeA

Naah, not only they know exactly the number but for each of them they have names, e-mail, geolocation and IP of all the connections they made, shopping habits and tastes

Oh, has that list already been published by hackers?  I didn't think it would take them long to steal.

-Noel

More Windows 10 coolness (not!):

The download time is a real issue.  6 to 12 Mbps seems like a reasonable download usage of a 12 Mbps bandwidth.  However, using one of Microsoft external download sites so I could get an iso for the "Fast" release 10162 shows a very slow download speed, 0.1 to 1 Mbps.  41% of the download has taken over 12 hours.  Probably still another 12 hours plus to go.

Update:  20 plus hours into the 3 day download, Win 10 10130 crashed.  So much for upgrading to 10162.

Reported here.

--JorgeA

Naah, not only they know exactly the number but for each of them they have names, e-mail, geolocation and IP of all the connections they made, shopping habits and tastes

Oh, has that list already been published by hackers?  I didn't think it would take them long to steal.

-Noel

LOL :thumbup

--JorgeA

I recently made an interesting discovery with Windows 10... If you start Firefox in XP compatibility mode and modify your system colors using the registry or an old desk.cpl from NT4 or Win2k, you can restore some sanity to it:

Ja5xSsF.png

How did you do that? Can you give a step-by-step for the part about using an old desk.cpl?

I have a dual-boot Win7 and Win10 system. Found the desk.cpl from Win7 and wanted to copy it over to the Win10 partition, but the OS isn't letting me change the name of the current desk.cpl so that I can drop in the one from Win7.

What do I need to do to accomplish that?

--JorgeA

How did you do that? Can you give a step-by-step for the part about using an old desk.cpl?

I have a dual-boot Win7 and Win10 system. Found the desk.cpl from Win7 and wanted to copy it over to the Win10 partition, but the OS isn't letting me change the name of the current desk.cpl so that I can drop in the one from Win7.

--JorgeA

I found a thread over at ThinkPad forums where somebody got the classic theme running in Windows 8. The download included a desk.cpl in the source folder, which I decided to try out in Windows 10, but I think that an old desk.cpl from NT4 or Win2k will work, from any directory.

Well, Win10 is a naggy biatch

Set Configure Automatic Updates in gpedit to '2', Notify for update, Notify to install. Stop sucking my bandwidth behind my back.

So, there are two waiting for me.. Windows Defender- and some Samsung device (phone) thing.

Fine, But you get a big nag box saying 'Updates Required', and it forces you to the settings app.

Only then can you click the close caption and make it go away. For the next hour or so.

Big pop up...no choice on delay time., interrupting work to manually click several times to close.

Bloody annoying.

--JorgeA

I'd try to use PC Hunter. It lets you delete anything in the file system or registry regardless of permissions, 10 is not in the list of supported OSes but since it supports 8.1, chances are it works on 10 too. I only ever used it on my Win7 x64 laptop so can't vouch for its efficiency on anything else though.

http://down.epoolsoft.com/pchunter/PCHunter_free.zip