Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

You picture is suggesting the apparent functioning version of Windows 10 that is displaying the page is doubting its 'Genuine-ness' and asking for reimbusment to ease the wonder and apease the Overlords.

My picture is of a system of which was configured to not recieve updates, willingly and obviously downloading a list of items (at dial up speed I might add due to systems relentlessly leaching my bandwidth to excess. Now on 5% as of posting.

post-380749-0-64192700-1435579275_thumb.

I also have a lovely fresh install of Windows 10 build 10130 since my laptop decided to also ignore my settings and recieved the next build update. I tried to compile the .esd into an iso before the 'upgrade', but it failed... I suspected a bad download... but several hours later it survived the scheduled restart and survived.

Imaging software takes away the pain of watching the process... if it fails, we'll try to fail again tomorrow...!

The loss of control is disturbing.

In @vinifera's screenshot, I'm looking at that button next to "Upgrade to Pro" that says simply 1.35 euros, without explanation. :unsure:

I can confirm @ralcool's experience trying to disable Windows Updates. You can change that setting but Windows 10 simply ignores what you did.

--JorgeA

Oh, sorry.  :)

I don't know, the picture looks weird with what look like bicycle bars emanating from his body. And what's that's pointy thing sticking out his upper back??

Not good photo design IMO. But then what can you expect, in terms of esthetics, from the company that brought us Metro flatness and then doubled down on it with Windows 10? -_-

--JorgeA

What's new in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10158

Apparently, nothing much. Nothing much that interests me, anyway.

They slightly improved the Start Menu by adding the ability to click on a letter in the All Apps alphabet, which will save on scrolling. But that's useful only if you know the name of the program you want, or the first letter. If you're not really sure, you'll still have to do a lot more scrolling up and down the menu to find the program, due to the menus's lower information density compared to the Vista/7 Start Menu "All Programs" list.

There are some improvements to Edge, including the ability to set a proper home page. I suspect the lack of it in the early versions is an indication of the "mobile" model Microsoft is leaning toward: Android browsers, for example, don't seem to have a home page -- the browser in my Android phone just goes to the last page I had open when I closed the browser. Pain in the a$$; I have to take time hitting the back arrow repeatedly to make sure it's back on the search-engine page so it's ready for the next time I call it up.

Edge still has a long way to go, though, to challenge IE or any other major browser in terms of functionality and usefulness.

--JorgeA

Android browsers, for example, don't seem to have a home page -- the browser in my Android phone just goes to the last page I had open when I closed the browser. Pain in the a$$; I have to take time hitting the back arrow repeatedly to make sure it's back on the search-engine page so it's ready for the next time I call it up.

Well, if you are using anything but Opera (Mini) :yes: on Android, you simply have the "wrong" browser :no:.

http://www.opera.com/mobile/mini/android

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And if you are using Android you are using a derivative of Unix, which is simply the "wrong" operating system.

What do you suggest instead, Windows Phone or the new one-size-fits-all crappy Windows 10? :w00t::ph34r:

jaclaz

I can confirm @ralcool's experience trying to disable Windows Updates. You can change that setting but Windows 10 simply ignores what you did.

--JorgeA

Interesting.  My Win 10 VM doesn't auto-update any more, and hasn't for a month or more.  I have to manually request Windows Update, at which time it goes forth with whatever updates are pending.

-Noel

What do you suggest instead, Windows Phone or the new one-size-fits-all crappy Windows 10? :w00t::ph34r:

I suggest having no smart phone at all is better than being constantly distracted by technology that doesn't work.

Actual human social interaction could be good for the world.

-Noel

I suggest having no smart phone at all is better than being constantly distracted by technology that doesn't work.

Actual human social interaction could be good for the world.

I see :), I thought that you were making a difference between being distracted by technology that doesn't work and being distracted by technology that does work.

I guess now it is appropriate to talk of microwave oven technology and user interfaces :w00t::

http://timandjeni.com/blog/why-do-most-microwaves-have-such-a-terrible-user-interface/

jaclaz

Microwave UIs suck.

Had one with a pure electronic keypad switch on spontaneously and cause a fire once in an RV owing to line noise when I was connecting the power (didn't realize the breaker was on).

Do you know how hard it is to find a microwave with a physical on/off switch now?

Very little technology actually works.  If it did, people wouldn't crave new technology.

Regarding smart phones...  Occasionally my son visits.  He has always prided himself in keeping up with the latest tech.  His current "smart phone" actually bends.  When we go out together we often need to know something simple, like "what is the address of a pizza place near here" or "does Walmart have xxxx in stock", or "is Jurassic World sold out" we ask him to look it up on his "smart phone".  Every time - every single stinkin' time - he fools and fools with it, then announces he either "can't get the info" or "the signal isn't good enough" or some other lame excuse.  He's working on a PhD in Photonics, so I don't think the problem lies with his ability to operate the tech.

Try to talk to him on the thing and we might be able to understand him.  Or maybe not.  Virtually every cell phone conversation is interspersed with - if not entirely composed of - "please repeat that, you're breaking up".

The folks who make portable electronic devices - Microsoft only being the latest - all fail to grasp that the "to work" option is a necessary evil in their designs.

Google is no different - their attention to quality has been lacking since they started, and they've been as predatory as Microsoft is becoming all along.  Their definition of a search is "turn up some interesting distractions" and oh by the way, now sell the info about what you searched for.

-Noel

Sure :).

Ahhh the good ol' times when technology worked :yes:.

The Telefontornet, which connected 5,000 phone lines in Stockholm. [1890]

980x.jpg

Those were the times, when men were men and they actually tested helmets :thumbup:

A man testing a prototype football helmet. [1912]

980x.jpg

Casually the source of the above is:

https://www.distractify.com/bizarre-history-photos-1197888488.html

A whole site with the sole intent of distracting users....

https://www.distractify.com/

jaclaz

Try to talk to him on the thing and we might be able to understand him.  Or maybe not.  Virtually every cell phone conversation is interspersed with - if not entirely composed of - "please repeat that, you're breaking up".

This. Definitely this. I can't tell you how many people laugh at me for still owning a landline, but when I'm calling somebody who also has a landline, we can hear each other as clear as day.  You can't say the same thing about cell phones...