Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I finallly learned what the deal was with my inability to resize the Win10 Start Menu to eliminate the tile panel after removing all the tiles: ... You have to drag it like one-third of the way across to the left in order to remove one column of tile space, and then further over to the left to remove the remaining column and be left with just the links panel. Each column disappears all at once when you reach the necessary spot, rather than (as one might expect) gradually as you drag the edge across the screen.

So this is what was happening to me. Windows 10 was providing no feedback for my actions, and so I had no reason to believe that the resizing was working. Why would I think anything other than that the edge would start moving as soon as I started dragging it? That is standard UI behavior -- a standard ignored by Windows 10.

I guess this is their way of making sure that you really, really, really meant to get rid of those "lovely" and "useful" tiles,  I mean, why would you possibly want anything other than those tiles that take up most of your desktop? :)

Cheers and Regards

Remember the justification that "skeuomorphism is bad"?  Then they come out with rolling tiles (or whatever that effect is called).

What I really want to know is...

How does someone who's clearly not fit to design anything set the policy for an entire corporation for years?  Then have the corporation march to that plan without wavering even in the face of obvious business failure?  Compromising photos of the members of the board?

It's pretty clear they've been working on this reduction in functionality in one way or another since Vista.  Remember the removal of the "Classic" hierarchical start menu?  Then the removal of the start menu entirely?  Remember the removal of visual styles?

Remember the removal of usability?

And we're still supposed to want it?

Next thing you know they'll be doing things to shorten the human lifespan so those who remember will be silenced.

-Noel

I saw the following exchange on this page. Does anybody have insight into the answer given by "Dr. Manhattan" (second quote below)?

Why so much wasted space in so many apps?

Because a lot of these 'apps' are but websites contained within a UAP wrapper. Hence the consistent presence of horizontal scrollbars where they're unnecessary on a desktop computer interface. The Insider Hub being an exemplary bad example.

Not sure what a "UAP wrapper" is. Does his answer make sense?

When using Metro apps, are we merely getting a Web page with a severely limited feature set?

--JorgeA

Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 to anyone who tests it

While there was some confusion over Microsoft giving away Windows 10 to pirates, the software giant is now being clear about its free upgrade plans for Windows 10. We already know that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will get Windows 10 as a free upgrade (providing you install within a year of July 29th), but Microsoft is introducing a new way for anyone to get Windows 10 free of charge. If you install the latest Windows 10 preview (build 10130) on a machine and use a Microsoft Account that's registered for the Windows Insider program then you'll get the final version of Windows 10 free. Windows 10 will stay genuine, so you can clean install the preview right now and simply upgrade to the final bits for no charge.

Anybody want a free copy of Windows 10? I sure don't...

^^ To my mind, there are two questions that remain unclear about this announcement:

1. As a Windows Insider, will I have to give up an existing license in order to use/activate the Win10 license?
  2. What exactly do they mean when they say:

"As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA (Microsoft Account) you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated," says Aul. Microsoft will soon require testers to use a Microsoft Account to receive updated builds[...]

[emphasis added]

Does that mean that I have to sign into Windows 10 with a Microsoft Account and stay signed in? Thus far I've managed to avoid that, instead logging on individually to each app that I use.

--JorgeA

P.S. If I can get Win10 without giving up an existing license, then I will probably keep it on my test laptop, just to stay current with the latest outrages changes as Microsoft force-feeds new features with future Windows Updates.

An incisive observation from a commenter on this webpage:

Why is splitting up settings into multiple locations, some in Control Panel and some elsewhere, a good idea?

That's rhetorical; it's not! MS already started down that confusing illogical path in Windows 8 with many things in "PC Settings" Metro/Modern US. Arguably a decade earlier with the default Office menus of the Win2K email hiding features the user didn't use often. Hiding them as the default, right from the start, so of course the user never used them, she never saw they were there '

Somebody at Microsoft has had this "Let's hide features" antipattern as a stick up their butt for a long time, and it is never successful with the public.

--JorgeA

"As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA (Microsoft Account) you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated," says Aul. Microsoft will soon require testers to use a Microsoft Account to receive updated builds[...]

[emphasis added]

Add another question:

On how many systems?

I am an insider and have installed Windows 10 on multiple VMs and one hardware platform for testing.  These were NOT upgrades to an existing OS.  I don't see any language that says "on only one system" in the above quote.

As for REQUIRING you to be using a Microsoft account...  Well yes, we could see that coming.  It's in the system requirements.

The days of running a computer that's offline entirely or only partially/occasionally connected to Microsoft online are coming to an end.  Whether this is a good thing...  The jury is still out.  Personally I hate the idea - but then I could build a data center with what I know.  I'm not a good example of a run-of-the-mill PC user.

I'm certainly going to be using that full year after release to "wait and see" - if not more.  The price of buying an OS pales by comparison to the possibility of adopting a system that throws "can't get there from here" challenges in my path.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Maybe the time has come for a new Gay Mullins :unsure::

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20091141,00.html

"How can they do this?" he rages. "They were guarding a sacred trust! .... and they tell us just to forget it. They have taken away my freedom of choice. It's un-American!"

Old Windows Users of America, it sounds fine....

jaclaz

So my two systems running build 10074 don't qualify?, Should I open the gate and upgrade them now, even though one last new preview build might make it out since the leaks are flowing already (build 10147) before Jul 29th. Band-width sucking exercise just for a bad incremental update, I've been on the program with a Microsoft account.... I'm sure everything will be fine. Maybe two free 'upgrade' licences for being an insider since inception. Woot.

Will there be another fast ring build before rtm... its been a while since 10130. Poor trade off to upgrade to an already obselete build just to qualify.

Descisions- lock in now or later.

"How can they do this?" he rages. "They were guarding a sacred trust! .... and they tell us just to forget it. They have taken away my freedom of choice. It's un-American!"

jaclaz

WHOA - Windows: Hold Off America!

-Noel

jaclaz

My comment will be OT, but I have to say it's impressive that they would digitize issues of their magazine that came out before the Web existed.

--JorgeA

Another report of hardware affected by Windows 10:

All Windows 10's new Windows Defender has accomplished for me so far is making my desktop PC slower, almost burning up my laptop (Core2 CPU over 200°F), and making my tablet unusable at times (completely freezes for up to 30 seconds at a time).

--JorgeA

They cannot possibly believe that Windows 10 will be ready for public consumption in less than six weeks:

1.:

i haven't been able to run anything on windows 10 without breaking it.

i need to reinstall windows every day, shutting down and rebooting the next day breaks it....

testing an OS would be nice if it could actually keep running for more then a day without killing itself.

and it would also be nice to be able to test other software on it. installing anything breaks it again...

does microsoft think win 10 is the only piece of software we gonna need ?

2. (a reply to the above):

Mines usually OK on the 4 core desktop here exept when it gets unstable and it can do that in a minute .

Often when I heve the music app or the mail app open 4 a while with or without the usual 5 or 10 Chrome browrser tabs open  without warning W10 crashes to the dektop and closes whatever is open I guess it's better than a conventional BSOD but annoying because it can hapen like a drone strike without warning

[...]

it's not a resourse issiue either with all the above open and the music spining from the hdd or coming in from the NAS or Tidal Hi Fi its only using 1% -7% CPU (usually 4 %) and not a ton of memory and it can happen randomly in any browser or dektop app...

--JorgeA