Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Now there are reports that Windows 10 is breaking hardware:

The Technical Preview is not like anything I have ever encountered by Microsoft and I have had them all. But I am sooo finished with this Technical Preview program. With as much experience I have, it is simply not enough for whatever this TP trajectory is supposed to be. So far I've lost a laptop that I now have to return have repaired and the latest is my Windows tablet that has lost touch. I can't swipe to get to the password page now, And when it did work once, WiFi was gone. Now it just gets hot and I have to force it to shut down to prevent it from burning out.

I won't even get into about my Lumia woes because I expected it to get busted from this preview and its not my daily driver. But it is part of my technical preview misery index. What's worse, NOBODY has a clue as to how to resolve these issues. So, I'm finished and I'm out. No more updates. The last one I did today on 10130 somehow made Cortana think I'm too young to use it. So no more. No more of these incremental lets see what happens if we give them this type downloads. I'll stick with 8.1, which I'm used to anyway until this program is finally over.

The fanbois try to undermine the OP, but he ably parries their (mostly irrelevant) arguments. Others weigh in with their own horror stories.

And we're six weeks from launch. Just imagine the reaction when millions of users' machines are rendered non-functional thanks to Microsoft's campaign to push Win10 on everybody. I don't know whether to shake my head in fear :ph34r:  or lick my chops in anticipation   :sneaky: ...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

VERRRY interesting how experienced people (even those whose hardware hasn't been damaged) are coming to the conclusion Microsoft won't be able to pull it together by RTM.

But chances are good a majority of Windows users won't be aware of what's up until after the big "upgrade" hits the fan.

The real question becomes:  Will people stand for leaving it on their computer after having been "upgraded"?  There are just enough people who are insecure and feel that they're being fashionable and siding with a winner (aka fanbois) that enough of it might stick so that Microsoft won't get the message that this pig won't fly.

-Noel

P.S., I liked the comment on page 2:  "RTM will be the new Beta. SP1 will be the new RTM."

That's basically saying it will never be acceptable.

anything above 2000 is malware

unfortunately we are forced by stupid HW to use next level NT's

I agree with you to an extent but with XP/2003 instead of 2000 (as long as you disable the Fisher-Price theme) There is a way to use 2000 on newer hardware as well as newer programs such as the latest versions of Firefox. Take a look at this thread to see for yourself.

XP already progressed toward .net and sxs with some shitty backdooring

server 2003 is worse as it already had .net inside

and if you installed office xp or 2003 you are greeted with its own backdoor that recorded ALL of your keys and mouse clicks and its positions

without your approval, this is what they used to create Ribbon office

I finallly learned what the deal was with my inability to resize the Win10 Start Menu to eliminate the tile panel after removing all the tiles: someone complained in the Feedback app that there is no animation when you grab the edge of the menu and drag it. You have to drag it like one-third of the way across to the left in order to remove one column of tile space, and then further over to the left to remove the remaining column and be left with just the links panel. Each column disappears all at once when you reach the necessary spot, rather than (as one might expect) gradually as you drag the edge across the screen.

So this is what was happening to me. Windows 10 was providing no feedback for my actions, and so I had no reason to believe that the resizing was working. Why would I think anything other than that the edge would start moving as soon as I started dragging it? That is standard UI behavior -- a standard ignored by Windows 10.

--JorgeA

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/30/microsoft_edge_sucks/

Says it all when M$ secured these domain names so, well, you don't try to use them!

Yeah, sounds like they're trying to prevent something expected from happening. Of course, that's a much wiser course than making something that won't create a demand for such domain names... :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

An update on the Windows Update banner shown on the Control Panel... KB3035583 is the culprit. Uninstalled and rebooted on the PC that had it and banner is no more.

Excellent, you found both the source of the problem and the solution! :thumbup

--JorgeA

So this is what was happening to me. Windows 10 was providing no feedback for my actions, and so I had no reason to believe that the resizing was working. Why would I think anything other than that the edge would start moving as soon as I started dragging it? That is standard UI behavior -- a standard ignored by Windows 10.

But that would be so harrrrd to program.  How could they ever manage it between runs of League of Legends?

One employee was interviewed...  His only comment:  "Between?"

-Noel

I finallly learned what the deal was with my inability to resize the Win10 Start Menu to eliminate the tile panel after removing all the tiles: someone complained in the Feedback app that there is no animation when you grab the edge of the menu and drag it. You have to drag it like one-third of the way across to the left in order to remove one column of tile space, and then further over to the left to remove the remaining column and be left with just the links panel. Each column disappears all at once when you reach the necessary spot, rather than (as one might expect) gradually as you drag the edge across the screen.

--JorgeA

In a situation like this, I would normally bring up In Win95 this and in Win 3.1 that, but at this point I feel like I'm talking to a wall. I will bring it up though. It's sad when your 20-year-old operating system can manage to provide some feedback for your actions on computers with exponentially less processing power. I really don't know what to say beyond that.