Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Worth quoting:

... The moment you push me into a corner, you corporate pieces of crap, I will fight back with all I can, and you have just turned a loyal owner - and a shareholder - into an enemy. You have made me into a detractor. You have obliterated all and any chance of me ever wanting to even consider upgrading my Windows 7/8 boxes to the new version ...

... You want morons for your users? Fine, you will get morons. You want smart people on your side, make sure you give them the respect and dignity they deserve. One-size-fits-all fascism does not cut it. I'm not playing the moronity game. If and when my awesome four-digit IQ deteriorates enough for me to consider Bing news, or any other mainstream feces, even remotely interesting, I will bow down to this idiocracy gangbang. Till then, you will have to give me a bloody button that reads choice ...

... here's Dedoimedo's take on the whole thing ...

Mildly interesting that someone not savvy enough to have foreseen Microsoft's moves is now ranting.

We have had people around here foreseeing Microsoft doing bad things with Windows Updates for a very long time.

-Noel

Well, being Dedoimedo the other person that by definition is always right, you may want to check when he introduced his re-known finger salute to MS:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-1-beta.html

For you geeks, it will only get worse. As time passes, more and more companies will find innovative ways of ruining the accepted, efficient workflows, just for the sake of money. You will find yourself clicking ten times more buttons and options just to get what you could do so easily in the past, RE: Windows frigging 8.1 and friends. The normal menu is not coming back, ever, and you will see yet more forced online integration and similar crap cropping everywhere.

Then, it will become subscription based s***, with monthly fees and mandatory online checkins. Following the trend, you will get mandatory ads in every program, and it will be against whatever law or license agreement to remove them. You will not be able to install programs that were not preapproved by this or that company. And so forth. This is your bright future, and it will happen slowly, so that people do not resist violently.

If you do not want to end up an anally probed guinea pig in the money labs, you will be wise to boycott this latest Microsoft operating system thing, because it is an insult to intelligence, to poor people worldwide, and anyone with a basic sense of decency.

Final grade: FAIL. We're done.

He did have a brain fart :w00t::ph34r: when he actually *somewhat* liked Windows 10 (october 2014):

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-preview.html

but soon he came back to his senses (February 2015):

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-preview-build-9926.html

and now everything is back to normal. :)

jaclaz

Symantec issued a notice about their products' compatibility with Windows 10, and a discussion ensued. One customer asked about GWX:

Is this a genuine Microsoft offer or a clever hoax to invade my computer?

The correct answer, of course, is "both."

--JorgeA

Here's an interesting analysis that may go some way in explaining the difficulties of Windows 8:

Don’t Prioritize Efficiency Over Expectations

No doubt we can think of a variety of cases where this applies to Win8, Metro apps, and now Win10. The only observation I would add with respect to Win8 is that, using the cited formula IC = P + M, when using the Search function the Metro Start Screen managed to increase M without even decreasing P, since in the Vista and 7 Start Menus the search bar has the focus by default. No efficiency was gained by not giving the user a visually evident way to perform a search, but it sure caused confusion.

--JorgeA

Most folks may not have the ability to put it into terms that can be communicated, but virtually everyone has the ability to "feel" when something is "right".  Metaphorically, virtually everyone could identify a perfect circle, though they may have no knowledge of math.

Technically savvy people may even be able to say why something is "right".  They could describe a circle mathematically.

Some brilliant, special people can design things that are "right", though the ability to do so with complex systems lies right at human limits. It often takes a chance assembly of a special team giving everything they've got, plus refinement for a time afterward.  These people can make a machine that creates perfect circles and make money with it.

If it was easy, it would have been done 50,000 years ago.

With systems up through Windows 7 we have had many brilliant people thinking up ideas and incorporating others' ideas, plus some three decades of refinement. 

Throwing all that out by arbitrarily calling it "legacy" (and implying that term is negative) is just irresponsible.

Arbitrary, undisciplined, disparate, disjointed work cannot and does not lead to designs that are "right" without incredible strife and much time for refinement (thinking, for example, of nature and evolution).  Nor can a poor design be MADE "right" by any number of Marketing campaigns.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

So?  Where is it written that making something mobile-capable means destroying the parts that make it computer-capable?

Who said desktop development has to stop (and actually be reversed), in order to develop some other part?

What leads to that?  Single-mindedness of administrators who are literally incapable of grasping complex products?  What are those people doing in charge?

In an ideal world, the Metro/Modern subsystem would be developed along side the ongoing improvement of the other parts until such time as the new stuff actually gets better and supersedes the "legacy" stuff.  Forcing that to happen when the new parts are only capable of half of what the "legacy" parts can do just leads to...  2015.

-Noel

In my opinion, when Microsoft started working on Windows 8, they should have put all the new Metro stuff in it's own subfolder in %windir%. That way it can live in it's own space, while not messing up the system files, and then overlay it over the "legacy" Desktop when needed using DWM. This will allow them to develop their new "modern" software completely separate from the Registry and other features of "legacy" Windows. It can hook into the Desktop using shell extensions, just like a regular application. By doing this, they could have kept all of the real Windows intact, while adjusting the "Modern UI" for cell phones, tablets, and TVs. This will also make it easier to delete it... "del /f /q C:\WINDOWS\Modern\"

MS was just trying to make it efficient to produce more apps for their phones.

Well, IMHO with the current average very powerful hardware that non-mobiles or non-phones have, it would have made much more sense, it would have been easier, and would not have provoked all this mess to keep the Windows Phone OS as a OS for phones (with Metro/NCI, stupid full screen for everything and low-low screen density, etc. or *whatever*) and write a simple and fast VM-like program to emulate it.

Basically you would have had your own stupid Lumia as a physical device and an exact replica of it (virtual) on your desktop screen, the best of both words with little or no annoyance.

jaclaz

There's a new unofficial TP build (10135) and one tester found the following:

Just finished updating, Still have the issue were there is not Search Options > search Icon and Search bar

I seen to be missing this since like 4 -5 builds back (even on clean install)

A little later, he reported:

I figured it out.. I not sure if this is a bug or by design. If you select use small icons in the taskbar properties then your unable/not allowed to use the search box

And another commenter has this to say:

I'm not even surprised or angry anymore. All I can do is just laugh at the ineptitude. Buuuuuuuttttt but butttt this is a new™ Microsoft!

I'm still on 10074 (Slow ring). I use the small Taskbar icons and do get the menu to use either the search icon or the search box. But no matter which of the two I select, I only get the search icon. :blink:

--JorgeA

Paul Thurrott reports that promotional material is making its way onto MSN apps...

...I believe this build is the first time we’re seeing how Microsoft plans to add advertisements to the MSN apps. Which is to say obtrusively.

weather-add.jpg

...and even onto the Start Menu:

Not sure again, but I believe this is the first time a “Get Skype” app suggestion appeared in Start.

get-skype.jpg

BTW what a hideous jumble of rectangles and disparate colors in the tiles panel. This is what Life With WindowsTM is shaping up to be like.

And notice all the wasted space over in the left panel: five letter headings (plus a "---" under F) and a grand total of seven actual listings displayed. That would mean Scroll City if you could even find the d*mn scrollbar, whcih is like half a shade different from the background around it. :angry:

--JorgeA

OT (but not much) interesting article:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/06/the-online-privacy-lie-is-unraveling/

Data-mining in the spotlight

One thing is clear: the great lie about online privacy is unraveling. The obfuscated commercial collection of vast amounts of personal data in exchange for ‘free’ services is gradually being revealed for what it is: a heist of unprecedented scale. Behind the bland, intellectually dishonest facade that claims there’s ‘nothing to see here’ gigantic data-mining apparatus have been manoeuvered into place, atop vast mountains of stolen personal data.

Stolen because it has never been made clear to consumers what is being taken, and how that information is being used. How can you consent to something you don’t know or understand? Informed consent requires transparency and an ability to control what happens. Both of which are systematically undermined by companies whose business models require that vast amounts of personal data be shoveled ceaselessly into their engines.

and original study in .pdf:

https://www.asc.upenn.edu/sites/default/files/TradeoffFallacy_1.pdf

jaclaz

Regarding how aggressively Microsoft will be pushing Windows 10 to existing users...

Ed Bott:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/get-windows-10-microsofts-hidden-roadmap-for-the-biggest-software-upgrade-in-history/

I've seen a handful of people trying to spin this update process as a sneaky move on Microsoft's part, but I have a hard time seeing this as adware. It is, instead, perfectly targeted advertising, offering a free upgrade to a product currently running on the system where the ad is being displayed.

There are no hidden costs (aside from those that might be incurred by the large download for anyone who has a pay-by-the-megabyte data plan) and the upgrade isn't going to be installed without your explicit consent. It can't, because there's at least one license agreement (and several additional confirmation screens) that you're going to have to click through.

This update will be installed automatically on Windows 8.1 machines that are configured to accept Recommended updates. It is an Optional update on Windows 7, so Windows 7 users will only see this offer if they go to Windows Update and manually install this update. The upgrade offer is not being displayed on Enterprise editions or on domain-joined machines, where network administrators typically manage operating system upgrades.

Emphasis mine.

It is my opinion that the process of "Reserving a Win 10 Upgrade" will be considered by Microsoft as explicit consent to install Windows 10 when they feel like it.

What do you think?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC