Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

this is the best official screenshot of Windows 10

With Windows 10 so being maddeningly mindless I imagine there could be a rise in unofficial screen shots...

UnofficialScreenshot.jpg

-Noel

just look at that how stupid humans became

when retarded thing like new icons are prime news and thing to be excited for

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH VISTA ONES IN 1ST PLACE YOU IDIOTS ????

Uhh, how did they get the Word 95 window to look like Windows Classic theme? (Pretty neat actually, I'd take even that over the colorless Metro/Modern/Universal look.)

attachicon.gifscreen_shot_2015-06-03_at_8_25_34_pm.jpg

--JorgeA

they didn't

they ran word 95 on winblows 10

and shot themself in foot showing that classic shell is there yet they deny it all the time since vista

Huh, that's interesting. At first I thought you were saying that the "Windows Classic" look of that Word 95 window was hardcoded into Word 95, but now it sounds like you believe that Windows Classic DOES still survive somewhere in Windows 10.

Did I read you right?

BTW, the "problem" with the Vista icons is (of course) that they're 3D, which violates the new flat anti-esthetic.

And yes, it IS sad that such a thing is actually newsworthy.

--JorgeA

Follow-up on the above question:

I went back to the Neowin piece, and there's been some discussion in the comments section regarding that exact issue -- how they got that Windows Classic window, window controls, and titlebar to show up in Windows 10. Here's what people are saying:

If you're talking about the Word 95 screenshot, that's done for compatibility reasons (it was like that in Windows 8 as well.) Word (and Works for that matter) did some funky things to the title bar to create that gradient (back before it was in the OS proper) and when Windows XP introduced theming it really messed with that custom title bar.

But why does that windows look like the same style of win9x?

Because Office refused to use common controls. Rather, they would create their own that mimic Windows style (or invent their own style - Office XP - loved it BTW). Since they were created 20 years ago they mimic the style of Windows of that era.

But shouldn't it be the same as any other windows in the whole Windows?

Word draws its own titlebar and borders. If you look close you see that it uses two different fonts. The color gradient was added to Windows in 98 but the Office team did their custom version first.

Still, opinions as to what's going on there with that Word 95 window are not unanimous:

The old classic theme is back again?

It never left.

FWIW, apparently it IS possible to do custom window treatments (so to speak ;) ) in Win10. EMET on my TP installation looks like Windows 7 Basic.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

classic shell, or what you call classic look, is present in ALL win32, 95 to "10"

if you ditch uxtheme and dwm, and services related to them, system reverts to CLASSIC common controls and rendering

which is classic shell

sure due to stupid ribbon and whatnot some things will look buggy in Direct2D drawing (probably coz of MIL & DWM disabled)

just look at it this way: SKINS are exactly that, a bunch of images ONTOP of CLASSIC controls

it is just that developers removed abilities for user to forcefully disables DWM

but some programs do ignore it: heres my example from vista days:

2uz30w0.jpg

Edited by vinifera

Are these guys right? Is the "upgrade" to X a journey of no return?

So if I have a computer running Windows 7, have it fully backed up, accept the Windows 10 offer, install Windows 10, don't like it, and restore my backup of Windows 7, Windows 7 will deactivate and I'll have to buy another copy from Amazon to have a valid key for my copy of Windows 7?

"This is unbelievable so after installing the free upgrade if you ever need to do a reinstall due to a virus or other HDD problem you're not even able to reinstall your original OS and as you've no Win 10 key you're left with no option other than to buy a new OS !!! So you've not only lost the free upgrade but also your originally purchased OS. This should be made much more widely known."

"... Seeing as how the key is "consumed" (Windows 7 key) does not make me want to upgrade to a free version of Windows 10. Microsoft should allow the key to work (Windows 7 Key or Windows 8 Key) after you upgrade to Windows 10 for free, so then the user could use their old key of Windows 7 or 8, and allow those certain keys (that qualify to get Windows 10 for free) so they can restore their version of Windows 10 after reinstalling Windows 7 or 8. Since the key gets absorbed this means, the only way you can reinstall Windows is to have a backup Operating System (probably Linux since it's free) ..."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/upgrading-windows-from-windows-7-home-premium-64/77905387-7940-4821-a0f7-483d0520a862?rtAction=1433361236012]

Edited by TELVM

3 optional updates have appeared, awaiting my approval on my Win 8.1 setup...  Red flag emphasis added by me.

KB2976978

• This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3050267

• A change is made on the log level for %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log to reduce the frequency of certain events from exhausting log space.
  • Fixes an issue for managed computers in which managed computers have to update drivers as a set. Driver sets are not processed by Windows Update during shutdown, and are still available to be installed after you restart the computer.
  • Fixes an issue in which the files of an update may not be found by Windows Update (0x80070002) if the download operation spans multiple sessions.
  • General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

KB3068708

• This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service...
  • [snip]
  • This kind of update helps the overall application experience on Windows, by improving the current operating system for upgrade to the latest version of Windows.
  • [snip]

Given that I want to keep this system on WIn 8.1 until I deem it time to "upgrade", and I'm not at all interested in having Microsoft collect telemetry from me to help THEM, it's pretty clear I will be hiding KB2976978 and KB3068708.  I'll need to do a bit of thinking and more research on whether to allow KB3050267 to come in.

-Noel

Here is another sneaky Windows Update that popped up on my Windows 7 updates list this morning:

KB3050265:

• This update addresses an issue in which system performance can be decreased during scans. This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory.
  • This update addresses an issue in which Windows Update scans can fail and generate a 0x8007000E error.
  • General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

It's outrageous that Microsoft is mixing Windows 10 modifications with (supposedly) real fixes for actual problems. :realmad:  And out-of-band, at that.

--JorgeA

That's nothing new... Windows 8 has this. Rather than the push-button Refresh, your other recovery option is to erase everything and reinstall Windows.

This is not saying that after you do the Upgrade that you can then burn a Windows 10 DVD to do the clean reinstall.

And speaking of this stuff, here's Dedoimedo's take on the whole thing:

How to remove the Windows 10 GWX upgrade nonsense

Don't get me wrong. Microsoft is a very capable company, and they have a strong future ahead of them, especially in the enterprise sector and the cloud business. I even own a tiny handful of their stocks, which makes me entitled as any other shareholder, so if you feel like sidelining my fine criticism, think again. But this is a bloody red line. The moment you start tinkering with my freedom, there's gonna be Thor's rage hammering down on you.

Check out the "Final step" in the process ;)  (NSFW).

--JorgeA

snip

This is not saying that after you do the Upgrade that you can then burn a Windows 10 DVD to do the clean reinstall.

That's my point. That's what most people think clean install means.

I would prefer to make a DVD before I upgrade. (If I do)

But the upgrade is only good for the service life of the device

your upgrading, that probably won't be an option.

JBM

... here's Dedoimedo's take on the whole thing ...

Mildly interesting that someone not savvy enough to have foreseen Microsoft's moves is now ranting.

We have had people around here foreseeing Microsoft doing bad things with Windows Updates for a very long time.

-Noel