Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.

It's funny that non-USB floppy drives are still supported natively though (if you run W10 in a VMWare VM, the virtualizer usually creates a virtual floppy-disk-controller floppy drive for config files and W10 can access it).

Uh, not that I can see.  Is there a special secret corner and maybe a couple of keys one has to hold down to get a second instance running?  Oh, wait...

...At the moment, the only way to open multiple instances of the calculator app is through the Start screen; if you try to open the calculator app through the Taskbar, it won't work...

This is BS and just serves to deflect from the actual [lack of] functionality.  For example,

• A large 64 bit unsigned number isn't handled in the NuCalculator (what's the unsigned value of 0x9000000000000000?). 
  • What's the single precision floating point equivalent of 1.25f?  Floating point has been a reality since, what, the 1980s?
  • The running total (accumulator?) isn't maintained when switching modes (ever want to do scientific programming?)... 

Doesn't anyone care about actual functionality any more?

These are design deficiencies.  Programmers have suddenly lost 30 IQ points.

Signs of the times indeed.

-Noel

Anybody here tried those games and seen ads? My dual-boot laptop's currently running Windows 7 as it has some real work to do this week...

--JorgeA

Just to prove there's no reason other than arbitrary sheep herding, I resurrected Solitaire from Win 7.  It can be done with a couple of key patches to circumvent the OS version check, after which it runs fine.

SolitaireOnWin10.png

Microsoft thinks that by hyping up the "free upgrade" that all the Win 7 aficionados will be happy.  Microsoft is suffering from cranial rectalitis.

I propose we call this time in history:  The Great Reset To 1.0

Thus begins a new era of tweakers to make Windows do good things.  Again.

-Noel

Thus begins a new era of tweakers to make Windows do good things.  Again.

Or it doesn't because Microsoft could lock everything down like Apple does because they know they can get away with it. I mean what are you really gonna do? Use Mac or Linux? Please don't make me laugh.

Well, Microsoft has a fundamental problem...  Either they eschew compatibility with everything from the past, or they simply CAN'T lock it down.  So far, compatibility seems to be winning - as well it should.  If they just stopped running everything, say, that wasn't signed by Microsoft, they'd be an instant failure.

Their approach for now appears to be to drive people who want to use the desktop mad so they run away screaming.

-Noel

Edit:  Personally, I propose one possibility:  Computer users could educate themselves, block this "free upgrade" BS, and just continue using the systems they have until such time as Microsoft makes the new system every bit as capable as the systems it's trying to replace.  And meet attempts to degrade those systems - e.g., through Windows Updates that break things or make systems slower - with legal action.

Edited by NoelC

Assuming it works ... it's not for me as I still have the processes on my system with the claim it's uninstalled.

So I created a GUI shell for the WUSA command to make it easy for anyone to uninstall this piece of adware.

Did you reboot after you ran the program? If you did and it's still there let me know.

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.

It's funny that non-USB floppy drives are still supported natively though (if you run W10 in a VMWare VM, the virtualizer usually creates a virtual floppy-disk-controller floppy drive for config files and W10 can access it).

How big can a USB Floppy driver really be? I'm sure it's smaller than all of those useless cell phone drivers they're including.

Assuming it works ... it's not for me as I still have the processes on my system with the claim it's uninstalled.

So I created a GUI shell for the WUSA command to make it easy for anyone to uninstall this piece of adware.

Did you reboot after you ran the program? If you did and it's still there let me know.

I'm just saying you can't necessarily rely on WUSA to work right 100% of the time.  I installed the update, then ran the command (manually) and got it gone that way.  Really wasn't commenting on your program at all (though I could, but it would be off-topic to the thread at hand).

if only apple putters were cheap....

i can't stand how dumbing down NT is going

I noticed a LOT of similarity between the look of Spartan / Edge and the Safari browser on our iPad.  Way too much.  I wonder which behemoth is thinking of buying the other behemoth.

-Noel

Gabe Aul teases Windows 10 build 10136, shows off a couple new icons

Uhh, how did they get the Word 95 window to look like Windows Classic theme? (Pretty neat actually, I'd take even that over the colorless Metro/Modern/Universal look.)

attachicon.gifscreen_shot_2015-06-03_at_8_25_34_pm.jpg

--JorgeA

this is the best official screenshot of Windows 10 I have seen to date! Of course I am only talking about the Word 95 window but... :lol:

(Except for NoelC's and any others that hack Aero Glass onto Windows 10, in which case it is a much better screenshot than this)

Edited by rn10950

just look at that how stupid humans became

when retarded thing like new icons are prime news and thing to be excited for

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH VISTA ONES IN 1ST PLACE YOU IDIOTS ????

Uhh, how did they get the Word 95 window to look like Windows Classic theme? (Pretty neat actually, I'd take even that over the colorless Metro/Modern/Universal look.)

attachicon.gifscreen_shot_2015-06-03_at_8_25_34_pm.jpg

--JorgeA

they didn't

they ran word 95 on winblows 10

and shot themself in foot showing that classic shell is there yet they deny it all the time since vista

Edited by vinifera