Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

WOW!

ScanIAm from Channel9 is getting disappointed with MS.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Apparently-WMC-is-no-longer-part-of-Win10

I know this doesn't sound like news in any way, but he was one of the biggest shills for NuMicrosoft ever and defended them tooth and nails. See him in action there. He didn't drink the Kool-Aid, he swam in it (like Dotmatrix from Neowin). Astounding that even folks like these are getting dismayed by Microsoft now.

What even Windows 8 wasn't able to do, Windows 10 is doing it.

Dotmatrix... ScanIAm...? Are you sure it's not the same guy?

Though I've seen no evidence of it, there's really nothing keeping Microsoft from tacking a "Windows 10 shill" program onto every single Windows Update for Win 7 and Win 8 from now on.  THEY define what goes into updates, and THEY already have their feet and other parts of their anatomy in your door.  THEY clearly want 100% of all Windows users on their latest system.

Whether you allow them to guide you entirely boils down to whether you trust them to have YOUR best interests at heart.  There was a time - a long time - where their interests and our interests (well, mine at least) coincided quite well.  They even did things we didn't think of that were actually good. 

That and the fact that what they're doing is complex and defies simplification are what make it difficult to make a judgment about whether their recent change in direction is a Good Thing.

There's nothing really wrong with their interests changing - and clearly they ARE changing - but also there's nothing really wrong with your interests changing to match - or NOT.  The trick is to find the right balance so that everyone gets the best value.

For a long time I've done things to Windows - configuration and augmentation - that more or less keep it doing what *I* want to do, not what Microsoft has wanted.  For example, I haven't run any Metro/Modern Apps at all, yet I've been using WIndows 8.1 since late in 2013.  Based on my evaluation and testing I believe I'll be able to tweak Windows 10 to continue meeting my needs, but only just barely.  This time around I may actually choose to keep the capability to run Apps, though so far I really haven't found many I'd want to use.  But I almost certainly won't be allowing OneDrive to ferry my files to Microsoft's servers online, and I may not choose to use a Microsoft account (jury's still out on that one).  And I'll DEFINITELY be replacing that gawd-awful theme they ship with it.

Given that a lot of these things are not options provided directly by Microsoft for our choosing, I'm taking on a certain amount of risk in choosing to deviate from the ways "mother Microsoft" wants us to use Windows.  That's okay; I find it quite fun and interesting.  I'm sure not everyone feels the same way about that.

-Noel

Speeeeekin' of the devil...

3 optional updates have appeared, awaiting my approval on my Win 8.1 setup...  Red flag emphasis added by me.

KB2976978

• This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3050267

• A change is made on the log level for %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log to reduce the frequency of certain events from exhausting log space.
  • Fixes an issue for managed computers in which managed computers have to update drivers as a set. Driver sets are not processed by Windows Update during shutdown, and are still available to be installed after you restart the computer.
  • Fixes an issue in which the files of an update may not be found by Windows Update (0x80070002) if the download operation spans multiple sessions.
  • General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

KB3068708

• This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service...
  • [snip]
  • This kind of update helps the overall application experience on Windows, by improving the current operating system for upgrade to the latest version of Windows.
  • [snip]

Given that I want to keep this system on WIn 8.1 until I deem it time to "upgrade", and I'm not at all interested in having Microsoft collect telemetry from me to help THEM, it's pretty clear I will be hiding KB2976978 and KB3068708.  I'll need to do a bit of thinking and more research on whether to allow KB3050267 to come in.

-Noel

Introducing...

rn10950's I Don't Want Windows 10

g4JOxfr.png

After I saw the GWX update showing up on my PCs, I immediately opened up Visual Studio and got to work on this. While any of us can just open up Control Panel (while it lasts) and uninstall the update, how many regular users can? So I created a GUI shell for the WUSA command to make it easy for anyone to uninstall this piece of adware.

Download for x86/x64 Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

Very cool!! :thumbup

Can you rig the tool so that, as part of the process of uninstalling the update, it also sends a short rejection e-mail to Gabe Aul, Terry Myerson, and Satya Nadella?  ;)

Just kidding about that. This is nice.

Anybody here participating in Neowin, to give it a mention there?  :ph34r:

--JorgeA

That's entirely up to you, though at this point I'd probably recommend against it.  Be sure and research what the updates do thoroughly before making any decision.  At this point the only one where we know some of what it really does is the GWX update itself. 

Reason:  It's possible updates like KB3050267 might be bona fide improvements they're rolling into the older Windows Update process after finding bugs during the testing with the big WIndows 10 build updates.

Looking around online, there's some  evidence that KB3068708 is a revisit of KB3022345 but now with a new number.  Incredibly, it's known to cause the servicing database to report corruption!

I think this goes to show that in this time of transition, those of us not gung ho to install Win 10 at the earliest possible time need to be researching each and every one of these updates.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Assuming it works ... it's not for me as I still have the processes on my system with the claim it's uninstalled.

So I created a GUI shell for the WUSA command to make it easy for anyone to uninstall this piece of adware.

But the flood of bad news continues:

Here's what's no longer available when upgrading to Windows 10

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

--JorgeA

Comment in another website with respect to the games that Microsoft is replacing in Windows 10:

awesome so MS removes add free games only to replace them with games that have adds in them.... 

Anybody here tried those games and seen ads? My dual-boot laptop's currently running Windows 7 as it has some real work to do this week...

--JorgeA