Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

If you accept that there are 500 million Windows 7 users, and, say, 200 million of them are non-enterprise users (I really have no idea, but the number is large),  then hundreds of millions haven't seen a hint of Windows 10 yet.

Assuming Microsoft makes few changes to what we've seen so far - and to be honest they can't do MUCH in 2 months, that's hundreds of millions of users who are going to go "What the...?!?" right after the free "upgrade" wipes out their nice, elegant desktop.

Should be fun to watch.

-Noel

dear "god" .... help us

malware detected

Thus showing that even amongst the folks on this forum, where we have been discussing the GWX Windows Update and how to avoid it, even people who consider Windows 10 malware still trusted Microsoft to deliver only goodness with Windows Update into their Windows 7 systems.

And to think the article says "With Windows 10, we start delivering on our vision of more personal computing, defined by trust in how we protect and respect your personal information," (emphasis mine).

And to think people accused me of having a tin foil hat.  My Windows 7 systems are popping up no such icon!

-Noel

Just so it's clear, and because I seem to be misinterpreted more often than not around here lately, I am in agreement: The icons ARE ugly. Just not quite as ugly as in 10122. Sparkles, I hope you didn't take my response the wrong way.

Not at all. And I could offer a 4th hypothesis but it would take up a huge amount of space here and is mostly more of my pointless personal ranting so I'll abstain. At the end of the day it's all just speculation, who knows why up is down and down is sideways anymore, plus I learned at an early age ya can't change the world (or, Office 2010 for that matter).

Btw, for the longest time my laptop would get that annoying "Upgrade to 8.1" pop up, it was only after reading here a some pages back that it occurred to me the pop up had not appeared in quite some time...D'OH to infinity...

Edited by sparkles

I disagree to some extent that "ya can't change the world".  I have provided a lot of feedback to companies and developers through bug reports, beta test results, feature requests, etc. and have seen positive changes as a result.  It never hurts to point out what's wrong - or right - with something.  Well-reasoned voices do matter, and you never know, if they like your idea you may get software that works a little more to your liking.

In the fairy tale, once the child points out the Emperor has no clothes, the deception is done; it's all over.  In the real world the other populants, who apparently enjoy acting stupid and being duped by evil companies, beat you up for not following the crowd and for being a "hater".  It's fashionable to go along with the Emperor.  Crowd mentality rules.

Films like "Demolition Man" and "Idiocracy" do a decent job of showing us where that can lead.

I understand where you're coming from - an individual can't easily change the BIG things in the world.  That doesn't mean you should stop trying.

-Noel

Thus showing that even amongst the folks on this forum, where we have been discussing the GWX Windows Update and how to avoid it, even people who consider Windows 10 malware still trusted Microsoft to deliver only goodness with Windows Update into their Windows 7 systems.

And to think the article says "With Windows 10, we start delivering on our vision of more personal computing, defined by trust in how we protect and respect your personal information," (emphasis mine).

And to think people accused me of having a tin foil hat.  My Windows 7 systems are popping up no such icon!

-Noel

If you would complain about the pop-up on a place like Channel9 they would still accuse of tin-foil.

Been there, done that. I think it would only count as malware by the fanboiz and shills if it would overwrite your Windows with W10 without any confirmation.

Edited by Formfiller

Nah, they'd just exclaim how much better Microsoft made your life.

You reminded me...  Perhaps I should go over and stir some things up over there...

-Noel

Nah, they'd just exclaim how much better Microsoft made your life.

You reminded me...  Perhaps I should go over and stir some things up over there...

-Noel

I did this already in April:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/These-Windows-10-adwarepreloader-patches-are-packaged-with-important-security-updates-JUST-WTF

This thread was quite funny by the way. I didn't unveil the super-weapon (forced 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade) until the late page 2. As you can see I was quite cornered until this point, but then I completely turned it around by relentlessly hammering the forced upgrade issue and broke the fanboi/shill-front down with it.

Another round of forum-chess won.

Edited by Formfiller

dear "god" .... help us

malware detected

-Noel

Neither are mine.

2igQ0GHd.gif

I just activated a copy of windows 7 ultimate on vmware using the same serial as the host.

After installing the updates I always hide, I'm still not seeing the new nag icon.

The only updates not installed are Skype and the language packs.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm on a virtual machine (not going to try it on the host).

or does some extra stuff need to be downloaded.  I know I had made up my mind not to

get windows 10 guess I'm still hoping for a miracle.

Jim M

I

@jbm:

Heh, I wonder if Microsoft might have pulled that nagware update, possibly due to protests.

The reason that idea came up is that I just booted my Win10 test laptop into Windows 7 (which has been there all along) for the first time since before May's Patch Tuesday, and I have the full complement of this month's updates (including the optional ones) except for the nagware update. Same as what you saw. And it's not listed in my hidden updates, either. Hmmm, I guess only time will tell. Maybe this one takes a while to filter through somehow.

--JorgeA

@JorgeA

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to to update my backup and install the updates on my real computer.

Either ideas sound feasible to me.

Jim

Though I've seen no evidence of it, there's really nothing keeping Microsoft from tacking a "Windows 10 shill" program onto every single Windows Update for Win 7 and Win 8 from now on.  THEY define what goes into updates, and THEY already have their feet and other parts of their anatomy in your door.  THEY clearly want 100% of all Windows users on their latest system.

Whether you allow them to guide you entirely boils down to whether you trust them to have YOUR best interests at heart.  There was a time - a long time - where their interests and our interests (well, mine at least) coincided quite well.  They even did things we didn't think of that were actually good. 

That and the fact that what they're doing is complex and defies simplification are what make it difficult to make a judgment about whether their recent change in direction is a Good Thing.

There's nothing really wrong with their interests changing - and clearly they ARE changing - but also there's nothing really wrong with your interests changing to match - or NOT.  The trick is to find the right balance so that everyone gets the best value.

For a long time I've done things to Windows - configuration and augmentation - that more or less keep it doing what *I* want to do, not what Microsoft has wanted.  For example, I haven't run any Metro/Modern Apps at all, yet I've been using WIndows 8.1 since late in 2013.  Based on my evaluation and testing I believe I'll be able to tweak Windows 10 to continue meeting my needs, but only just barely.  This time around I may actually choose to keep the capability to run Apps, though so far I really haven't found many I'd want to use.  But I almost certainly won't be allowing OneDrive to ferry my files to Microsoft's servers online, and I may not choose to use a Microsoft account (jury's still out on that one).  And I'll DEFINITELY be replacing that gawd-awful theme they ship with it.

Given that a lot of these things are not options provided directly by Microsoft for our choosing, I'm taking on a certain amount of risk in choosing to deviate from the ways "mother Microsoft" wants us to use Windows.  That's okay; I find it quite fun and interesting.  I'm sure not everyone feels the same way about that.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

WOW!

ScanIAm from Channel9 is getting disappointed with MS.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Apparently-WMC-is-no-longer-part-of-Win10

I know this doesn't sound like news in any way, but he was one of the biggest shills for NuMicrosoft ever and defended them tooth and nails. See him in action there. He didn't drink the Kool-Aid, he swam in it (like Dotmatrix from Neowin). Astounding that even folks like these are getting dismayed by Microsoft now.

What even Windows 8 wasn't able to do, Windows 10 is doing it.

Edited by Formfiller

I was going to reply to his comment "I'm tired of playing the supportive spouse to MSFT's abusive media strategy" with a quote with media replaced with [name here] then say something like "I'm kind of tired of people doing that too", but the forum logon process got stuck in a loop and lost my post.

-Noel