Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Since I finally upgraded from 10041 to 10074, I have a NAS type USB HDD hanging off my router that can no longer be seen from Win10.

I only normally simply configure 'add network location'

tell it \\routername\usb-storage\usb1_1   , and it normally shows up. My other two systems (Win7 & 8.1, and previous Builds of 10) do.

It is also normally possible to 'map network drive' to find it as well. Give it a Z:... well, that doesn't work either.

"Windows cannot access \\routername\usb-storage\usb1_1"

I'll probably have to nuke the installation, and freshly install 10074 from iso.. but I was only just forced to do this with 10041.

Realtec sound is still also broken since early 9xxx builds for me.

Cheers,

Sean

The cynic in me is itching to say that that happened to you because Microsoft would REALLY REALLY prefer that you used OneDrive instead of your own local storage... <_<

I don't have a NAS system, only USB drives plugged directly into the Win10TP 10074 laptop, and they do show up fine. So far.

FWIW, the rest of my network also shows up normally.

--JorgeA

P.S. BTW, what's that bit in the Run dialog about an "Internet resource"??   :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that's for a URL to open in your default browser or a \\SERVER network location.

Thanks for the scoop. Guess it's yet another way they're, uh, encouraging us to "expand our horizons" to the Web instead of limiting our vision to our own private stuff.

--JorgeA

Looks like I won't be earning further "achievements" (or whatever they call them) as a Windows Insider anytime soon. The current "quests" are to "upload and play your music from OneDrive," "record a game clip," "try out the new Alarms & Clocks app," "manage your mail with gestures," and "get movies & TV from the Windows Store."

I have an idea for a new "quest": search for, then download and install a real Start Menu. Maybe I'll submit it to the Feedback app. :lol:

--JorgeA

The cynic in me is itching to say that that happened to you because Microsoft would REALLY REALLY prefer that you used OneDrive instead of your own local storage... <_<

I don't have a NAS system, only USB drives plugged directly into the Win10TP 10074 laptop, and they do show up fine. So far.

FWIW, the rest of my network also shows up normally.

--JorgeA

The cynic in me is inclined to agree.....

Its not like anything fancy going on, a simple usb enclosure and a recycled 2.5" laptop hdd attached to the usb socket on the router.

A poor mans NAS.  Not even very fast...But speed isn't the goal. (And still faster than up/downloading to the 'cloud'... at my expense)

Still they think we all have fibre connected unlimited internet... sorry, I live in reality- data costs money.. more if you're rural customer like me.

Obviously I can plug the drive into my laptop perfectly fine.. but that defeats the point of a remote drive accessible from which ever PC I happen to be sitting at. (On my local network) I've done away with running a power hungry server just to power a couple hdd for instant access.

Going backwards into the future.

Sean

Edit, In further thinking, why do I need 15Gb of 'free' Onedrive off site, thousands of miles away probably.

We have usb thumb drives with more speed and storage in this day and age.

The message is clear to me- Cloud solutions to problems I don't have. If I REALLY want to host a file to share with anyone... GoogleDrive seems less of a hassle. I don't 'sync'.. I UPLOAD.

Edited by ralcool

It's like finding out that your spouse is cheating on you. Some are drawing the line right there, others don't want to accept it and get angry at the people who have the incriminating photos.

Maybe when you were sleeping you started snoring very loud :w00t: and Cortana catched it interpreting it as "enlaaaaarrrrrrgggge myicons" ;).

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

... In further thinking, why do I need 15Gb of 'free' Onedrive off site, thousands of miles away probably.

We have usb thumb drives with more speed and storage in this day and age.

^ Eureka! :yes:

Hopefully, During my time here I've demonstrated that I'm no novice to Windows.... I hate it as much as you.

Somehow, with each passing new build, less and less of the internal hardware of my 2007 era laptop and devices will operate within the 'Out of the Box Experience'

Obsolescence withstanding.... First the AverMedia TV tuner PCI-e card wasn't supported or stopped working during 9841.. then about 9879 I lost native audio. (can use bluetooth headsets)

The SD card slot hasn't been recognized since the 10041 fresh reinstall, and now 10074 can't find my NAS drive either.

yay for Windows 10. 

Here's a great article on how business customers are increasingly pissed off by Microsoft's "cloud first, mobile first" and licensing policies. Unfortunately it's only in German but the translator does a good enough job.

It's a must read, even in its auto-translated form.

Part 1

Part 2

part 3

And the functional growth, which allows us a better deal, has - viewed in light - already stopped with Windows XP. From then on nothing of substance has been added more.

From page 2... even translated reads plainly.  Nothing new of substance.

Simple value equation.  (If we put 'security' aside for a moment... big locks only keep the innocent people out anyway)

My favorite quote from the article is this (page 3):

CIO.de: What should Microsoft do in your opinion?

Popp: Instead of constantly incorporate new features that overwhelm the user, Microsoft could do with a Windows provide that is not slow, but faster. A consolidated financial code, that would be something. Unnecessary routines kick, historic modules sent rebuild on future security - that I would put money on the table, for example, if I need only half the memory. But unfortunately I have not experienced in 20 years Microsoft Windows. It is a continuous deterioration of performance, continuity of the user interface, patch effort. A software engineer at us in space one would a clip round the ear.

Microsoft brings but primarily new features and so arouses desires for the user, who can not imagine the difficulties of migration. We can testify that the many functions confuse the users more. You must completely relearn. My message to Microsoft: Improves products regarding operability, compatibility and continuity, then we are also prepared to take good money in the hand.

Schott: Many users cope better even with the older versions. Even worse, if you are then no longer available.

(emphasis added)

This pretty much sums up my opinion of Windows perfectly. If we could only have the UX of XP on top of the 8.x/10 kernel, it would be perfect. (Aero Glass as an added bonus) IMO Windows XP was the best version of Windows for getting work done.

But it IS faster - all the Microsoft shills say it is, so it MUST be so, right?   :crazy:

Argh.

Frankly I find it INCREDIBLY frustrating that they keep talking out their butts about Windows 10 being faster.  The ONLY friggin' way it's faster than Win 7 is that computers today are generally faster than computers of 2009.  Even relabeling hibernation as shutdown and bootup is a scam.  My new system boots to the Windows 7 desktop just as the swirling parts of the flag come together.  Under 15 seconds, and within 1 second of the speed of booting up Windows 10 with hybrid boot disabled.

Actually, when you actually take the time to measure it, Windows 10 is slower or no faster than Windows 7 across the board, and runs the processor measurably hotter to do the same things.  I just did more Passmark benchmarking.  The desktop doesn't seem any more responsive, and in fact less.  It also has an irritating tendency to ignore input occasionally.

Fanboys claiming Windows 10 is faster are probably judging a new, fresly installed system against an old loaded-up one.  Almost no one knows how to keep Windows from loading up with junkware they don't need running.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC