Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

New Windows 10 trojan is making the rounds through Windows Update.

That second Windows 10 related update Jorge talked about a few days ago appears now as an "important update" (and gets automatically installed). Until today it was "optional".

KB2990214.

See my earlier C9 post for a rundown on it.

I just checked that on a PC that is really only used for basic Office stuff and never came into contact with anything Windows 10 related, not even a VM.

Its description (in the Windows Update application) is still the standard "resolves issues" text, not a beep about W10 of course. Not even the word "update" is mentioned.

Edited by Formfiller

New Windows 10 trojan is making the rounds through Windows Update.

That second Windows 10 related update Jorge talked about a few days ago appears now as an "important update" (and gets automatically installed). Until today it was "optional".

KB2990214.

See my earlier C9 post for a rundown on it.

I just checked that on a PC that is really only used for basic Office stuff and never came into contact with anything Windows 10 related, not even a VM.

Its description (in the Windows Update application) is still the standard "resolves issues" text, not a beep about W10 of course. Not even the word "update" is mentioned.

Now this is a little strange.

The URL that you gave in Channel 9 is not exactly the same as the one that Windows Update is taking me to when I click for "More information" on the listing for that update in the Windows Update applet. And when I clicked on the one you gave, eventually (not right away) I landed on that same second URL.

The headline for that does read, "Update that supports you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows." The first sentence of the description says:

This article describes an update that enables your computer to upgrade from Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to a later version of Windows.

Maybe the text for the KB article has been changed since you saw it? :unsure:

One thing in that KB article that IS clearly true and incontestable:

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

[emphasis added]

:lol:  :realmad:

--JorgeA

EDIT: typo

Edited by JorgeA

Microsoft turning Windows increasingly into a cr*tin's game box:

Microsoft unlocks achievements with Windows 10 build 10056

I can just picture the monkeys going hunting for these "achievements," doing whatever their puppetmasters in Redmond direct them into doing...

How sad. I thought an achievement was something difficult to accomplish that required some combination of insight, ingenuity, skill, and/or dedication to, er, achieve. Now it's down simply to nosing after a piece of Microsoft cheese on a stick. -_-

One commenter sums it up well:

combine achievement with clippy with cortana's voice. what a mess. you got to be kidding me. don't get me wrong I love achievements on my xbox but this is windows. are you serious?

--JorgeA

There are gamers who grew up and are influencing Microsoft from the inside.

Apparently they'd rather play than work.  Nice gig if you can get it, but at the cost of the entire world's computing capability?

-Noel

Windows 10 leaked build 10056 summary: Windows 10 just keep getting worse with each build.

Creating local account is even harder. You can't any longer type wrong Microsoft account and password and expect it to suggest to create local account. Its now burried under creating new Microsoft account and then choosing "connect this PC later".

Win32/desktop applications now have ugly gray borders just like universal apps and this can't be changed.

Tray clock UI is now mobile/touch style and  very ugly compared to Windows 7 style tray clock UI.

Edited by Aero7x64

^^ Unbelievable!! :huh:  :angrym:  If this is true, it shows a new abysmal level of regard by Microsoft (engineers and/or managers) toward their customers' preferences.

Anybody else on 10056 see the same things? Is it even harder to create a local account in that build? How about unchangeable gray borders around desktop applications?

--JorgeA

I just noticed something "interesting"...

I went to the KB article for Windows update KB2952664 intending to give them a piece of my mind concerning the sneaky way they're pushing Windows 10 on unsuspecting Win7 users -- except that when I clicked on "Give feedback," nothing happened for a long time, as if the link were dead.

Eventually the feedback box opened up, but I wonder how many people would give up before it appeared at long last.

--JorgeA

Here's additional information on a couple of those mystery Win10 push updates:

1. The update is applicable to everyone who is using either Win7SP1 or Win8.1 and their server variants
  2. If you aren't interested in upgrading to Windows 10, you don't have to but we've started adding some of the plumbing into this release that enables it for those who are
  3. For server-based operating systems, the update will not enable an upgrade to Windows 10
  4. For client-based operating systems, the update does have the plumbing for Windows 10 upgrade later if you're interested
  5. For all operating systems, there are improvements in the overall Windows Update client which is why it was released as Important

[emphasis in original]

Note the text I've highlighted in the following paragraph:

Today we have two new releases going live.  Both are new Windows Update clients for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1-based operating environments.  If you are a Windows Insider, you may have received this update earlier last week when it was released to the Insider's program.  As you can tell from the KB article titles, these WU clients are used as part of the Windows 10 upgrade scenarios which will go live at release but are still used for down-level operating systems as the "regular" Windows Update client.  This update is applicable to your systems even if you're not planning to migrate to Windows 10, so don't think you can skip it.  It rolls out today as an Important class release.

Thoughts? Observations?

All I can think of is those millions of Win7 users who trustingly set their Windows Updates to "Automatic" and will one day be suddenly presented with a hideous alien Desktop in place of their beautiful UI.

Down n the comments section, the author is getting scorched:

The issue is not that we do not want Windows 10. The problem is that we do not know if we want it and refuse to be stampeded into it on Microsoft's schedule. Like any product in the market (free or not) we will investigate, evaluate and decide if it is what we want. It is critical that Microsoft realize that Windows 7 is the gold standard now. If Windows 10 has any shades of Windows 8 in it at all, Most people will reject it. That was a loser and if all you are doing is putting new lipstick on that pig, you can for get it.

I believe what your hearing here is your customers don't trust Microsoft!

...The KB article provides this sentence as the most descriptive information available: "This article describes an update that enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to a later version of Windows."

Really?! You expect us to read that and immediately understand that this actually NOT related to upgrading our computer but to ongoing installation of patches and updates? And then you have the audacity to say "don't think you can skip it." Wow.

It seems that Microsoft is forgetting who makes the decisions about how (and going forward, if) their products are installed. Please, give us accurate information about what these updates do, how they work, and what is needed to install them. Kindly leave the decision making to us.

Wonder how long it'll be before MSFT requires these unwanted updates as a condition for receiving new future updates.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Hard to believe he's willing to stand up and just flat out continue to deceive like that, and claim ignorance of "how to write an article".  It's finally come to the day when ignorance is considered an improvement over what they're actually doing.  Sigh.

Just so it's clear to others exactly what's being talked about, joscon has said in the linked blog article, "This update is applicable to your systems even if you're not planning to migrate to Windows 10, so don't think you can skip it.  It rolls out today as an Important class release."

Don't think indeed.

KB3044374Info.png

The linked page it points to, with that "complete listing of the issues" gives very little more info:

This article describes an update that enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 8.1 to a later version of Windows. This update has prerequisites.

Somehow I don't think I'll be un-hiding that update based on what we've seen so far.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

... these WU clients are used as part of the Windows 10 upgrade scenarios which will go live at release but are still used for down-level operating systems as the "regular" Windows Update client.  This update is applicable to your systems even if you're not planning to migrate to Windows 10, so don't think you can skip it ...

I'm quarantining windows update for the time being.

2usy8h3.jpg

Nice of those guys to carry a sign to tell the enemy where to aim...  :whistle:

Yep :yes: EXACTLY the spot where the shield (actually "scutum" to differentiate it from the earlier "clipeus" ):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipeus

is the most resistant because of the central metal boss, actually VERY clever :thumbup::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutum_(shield)

jaclaz