Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

(wouldn't it be criminal when exposed?)

I've been thinking that myself - a lot.  But the evidence is there.  We'll see how this plays out.

It's possible the Justice Department has less leverage since it's a "free update"...  Those good guys at Microsoft trying to make everyone's computing life better for free?  What could possibly be wrong about that?

-Noel

They almost got burned about 18 years ago over integtrating Internet Explorer (at no extra charge) into Windows 98.

I'm *almost* hoping they try to sneak Win10 past hundreds of millions of Win7 users. Imagine the news reports and class-action lawsuits as people protest over getting their computers suddenly overhauled without effective consent. It'll be a well-deserved PR nightmare.

--JorgeA

Should we be compiling a complete list of "predatory updates related to Windows 10"?

Here are the ones I know about so far:

1.  (Seen by myself in Win 8.1) KB3035583, "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"

2.  (Seen by myself in Win 8.1) KB2976978, "Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8"

3.  (Seen by myself in Win 8.1) KB3044374, "Update that supports you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 to a later version of Windows"

4.  (Seen by others in Win 7) KB2990214, "Windows 10 Technical Preview"

Can you name any others?

Assuming one wants to leave alone an existing installation (be it Win 7 or 8.1), is the best strategy just to hide ALL of these?

-Noel

Yes, I think so. With the caveat that users will need to keep an eye out for these updates to magically pop back onto their list of available updates.

--JorgeA

WZOR posted some pictures of Build 10056:

213840_original.jpg

http://wzor.net/37418.html

Still nothing "impressive" shown, only depressing.

Have you noticed how they're calling these various "new build" tracks by names such as "awesome" and "impressive"?

Gotta wonder if they really believe they're coming up with awesome and impressive achievements, or if it's a case of trying to convince themselves by the power of labeling.

--JorgeA

The use of 'Awesome and Impressive' is just more of  Microsoft's subliminal message crap to us, thinking that eventually we will all come around and think how 'Wonderful and Excellent' this latest Windows 10 O.S. build has become and how did we ever survive without it til now.

~DP  :w00t:

You're right, I didn't consider that further possibility, that (some) people will come around to thinking Windows 10 is great simply because they've been told that so many times.

--JorgeA

Not "expressly", but should any of you guys need/happen to re-install a new version of 10, could you try doing the install "offline", in order to either confirm or deny this piece of news (news to me at least ):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149612-winntsetup-v377/?p=1097757

or - maybe - this only applies to installing through WinntSetup? :unsure:

jaclaz

I've enabled the Insider app on my Phone and hoped I only get the 8.1 GDR2 (http://www.neowin.net/news/heres-how-to-get-windows-phone-81-update-2-on-some-lumias), but I was only offered the TP which I can't deny. I made the ugrade to Win10 and it was pure horror. All apps, settings crash or hang. Nothing worked and the UI was slow as hell.

Now I used the Recovery tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1. I hope that I can get the GDR2 later and can skip Win10.

Theme support is fully in Windows 10.  It's just not used.  That's why it's still possible to load 3rd party themes.

I see no strong indication that Microsoft is going to add any, except that they've said they'd reconstitute Aero Glass if enough people voted.  Who knows how much would be "enough".  And mark my words, if they DO bring it back, it will be as sucky an implementation as you can imagine.

To be fair the newest work Microsoft is doing doesn't conform to the theme.  When you DO re-theme a Win 10 system the shoddy recent work stands out like a sore thumb.  That's probably why they've pushed for such a flat, lifeless theme by default.

It's almost comical.  Sesame Street stuff - (musically) "...some of these things are not like the others..."

LackOfTheme.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Not "expressly", but should any of you guys need/happen to re-install a new version of 10, could you try doing the install "offline", in order to either confirm or deny this piece of news (news to me at least ):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149612-winntsetup-v377/?p=1097757

or - maybe - this only applies to installing through WinntSetup?  :unsure:

jaclaz

My plan is to install the next build they release as a fresh, clean install from an ISO into a VMware VM.  I hadn't planned the setup to be done with the network off, but that's certainly something I will try.

-Noel

Huh, that's encouraging.

I tried to install a Vista theme in build 9926 using UxStyle and it didn't seem to make any difference to what I saw on the screen. No 3-D taskbar, folder and system tray icons unchanged. The best I managed to do was the default Vista wallpaper (as you can see in my recent screenshots upthread).

--JorgeA

thats because object ID's are different in .msstyle

and since win "7" taskbar is split into 2 parts (upper and down)

while previous you had only 1 as whole

Edited by vinifera

thats because object ID's are different in .msstyle

and since win "7" taskbar is split into 2 parts (upper and down)

while previous you had only 1 as whole

Thanks. Is there anything that I can do at my end to fix (or work around) this, in order to get a 7/Vista/Longhorn theme to work? Or does the solution require the theme's creator to adjust things to make it work in Win10? (Please forgive my ignorance...)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

you have to manually redo everything

not just replacing resource png's but metrics and missing places

longhorn had same "places" as XP did (tho some resources were scattered within imageres.dll IIRC to be locked down)

vista betas and onward were different coz of new shell

win"7" is simmilar to vista except with taskbar and new systray

win "8" and "10" I never bothered to try, but I bet its a mess

you basically need Aves Windows Style Builder to cope with all the metrics and whatnot

or try with Startdock SkinStudio+WinBlinds

either way simply copy+paste of msstyle from another OS is a NO-GO

not only coz of incompatible msstyle with uxtheme but as said with different object id's

Edited by vinifera

Whoa, that's way beyond my pay grade! :wacko:

I'll visit deviantArt and see if anybody's come up yet with a "7 for 10" theme...

...and then there's also the good work being done by folks in the Windows 10 subforum. I'll go see what the general sense is about the possibilities for customizing Win10.

--JorgeA

most things you can do "on the fly"

if there is uxtheme patcher you can simply replace PNG's from vista/7 to ones in "10"

then set in classic options (i guess) winframe metrics to bigger pixel radius or some s***

its the shell that is problematic mostly

like info panels and such, they use ieframe.dll and some s***ty xml data

if you include classic shell then you get ok thing...

look my win7 shell within explorer, its far better than 8/10 one in functionality and look:

my relevant info is top left

and all main views + new folder creation on right

http://oi60.tinypic.com/35cpekj.jpg

something apple did RIGHT in their file manager unlike stupid MS

no clicking on buttons to get list view

no useless random buttons (or even worse ... idiotic ribbons)

just what you need --> thank you classic shell !

Edited by vinifera