Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Another flare-up in the war, I see.

BTW the first post on that page is a fabulous rundown of the many problems with Windows 10 -- among the very best I've seen!

Thanks!

:thumbup  Do you think that @wastingtimewithforums would mind us quoting it here?   ;)

Go ahead.

Edited by Formfiller

:thumbup  Do you think that @wastingtimewithforums would mind us quoting it here?   ;)

Go ahead.

All right, here goes that no-holds-barred assessment: :yes:

Windows 10 is better than 8, but it still sucks compared to W7. That new start menu alone is a JOKE. A frigging joke. Integrated search is botched, if you unpin the metro stuff the menu doesn't resize and looks like an ugly blob, features from W7 are missing, links to documents, my computer etc. are all over the place, if you click on the "all programs" almost every letter from the alphabet is present because it shows all the useless default metro craplets in a terrible looking stupid huge list instead of stuffing them into a folder at least, and a myriad of other faults.  I think Microsoft developers spent more time with the MS-DOS joke app for WP than they did with the abortion of a start menu. There's no excuse that thing still gets beaten by third party hobbyist projects by a wide margin.

The look of the system as a whole is in the latest version still a.s.s., Palm meets 90s Linux distro, the networking screen is a joke, the control panel replacement looks like barfed out. There's to other way to describe it differently.

The metro/modern/Windows 8 style apps/Windows store apps/universal apps/Windows apps or whatever the * these things are called now are still botched. THEY ALL ARE, at least the ones MS ships with W10.

That trash heap of a calculator has the usability of a C64 program, less functions than W7 calc.exe, yet has a splash screen! Who in their right mind.. the gadgets in Vista and W7 felt less clunky than this. The metro image viewer in 10 is far clunkier than Windows Photo Viewer in 7, the default e-mail program in Vista and Live Mail in W7 were miles above that freak show of a mail-client in 8 and 10.

Compare the Mac PDF reader to that sorry thing MS put into W10. Argh! How can any self-respecting manager at MS approve such misery.

These things are just a terrible replacement for Win32/NET. The concept is in its fourth iteration (8, 8.1, 8.1 Update 1, 10) and it still sucks. First generation Windows 95 programs beat everything metro with ease, they still do. Unexcusable for a multi billion dollar company to serve up such trash for almost three years now.

Then of course the system is sprinkled with "metro", the login screen, all the dialogues.. it's everywhere, and still looks just rotten compared to pretty much all previous Windows versions except 8.

If Windows Update in the W10 betas stays the same in the RTM, then * this. It would be the first major OS where you can't decline any updates anymore. I hope they didn't forget that some computers are used for over-night tasks or in situations where rebooting is fatal. Considering Microsoft's history of faulty patches (and this current nagware), and that sometimes programs have compatability issues with certain patches/new drivers this will be a HUGE PITA in the future and reason alone to skip W10. Not to mention the difficulties it brings to troubleshooting and testing stuff in a W10 VM.

It's almost heart-breaking. It's as if someone did a cruel teleportation experiment to Windows, The Fly-style, and now it mutates into a mess before your very eyes. You just want to grab a shotgun and end its tragedy.

So yeah, Win10 sucks, it's no "upgrade", because that word usually means "improvement".

[emphasis in original]

One for the ages. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Life in the cloud takes more anti-aircraft fire:

It's not just you - Microsoft acknowledges Outlook.com email issues

If you've been having problems sending or receiving email via your Outlook.com account today, you're not the only one. The good news is that you can stop tearing your hair out trying to fix it; the bad news is that there is an ongoing issue on Microsoft's side which has not yet been fixed.

As an added bonus, this problem affected (among others) users trying to access their mail via Windows 8 Mail Client and Windows Phone 8.1.

--JorgeA

Don't worry, resizable Start menu will be available in Windows 10 RTM

Good, but are they going to let me delete the Metro Tiles from the right panel and replace them with links? Will the whole thing still be a single hideous color? Will I be able to hit Escape to close the Start Menu? Will hovering the mouse pointer over All Programs Apps once again expose the list of installed programs without clicking?

Inquiring minds want to know...

--JorgeA

Good, but are they going to let me delete the Metro Tiles from the right panel and replace them with links? Will the whole thing still be a single hideous color? Will I be able to hit Escape to close the Start Menu? Will hovering the mouse pointer over All Programs Apps once again expose the list of installed programs without clicking?

--JorgeA

You want too much....

We  should probably call this thread 'Windows 10 - Last Impressions' as in it will the  'Last' OS that I will use, Thanks but No Thanks Microsoft I will stick with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

~DP

Microsoft hinted that they'd bring back Aero Glass if enough people wanted it.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-aero-glass-theme-could-make-comeback-if-enough-vote-it

Well, a helluva lot of folks sent feedback, and just grab a gander at the comments on that article.  Resoundingly positive.

Either 1) Windows Aero fans are the most (or only) vocal ones or 2) People really want it.

If a new Aero Glass-based theme isn't part of Win 10 by now, given a summer release time frame they're really not likely to bring one back.

And you can be SURE that even if they DO bring it back, they will of course NOT bring back 90% of what made the Aero Glass theme good - stuff like being able to differentiate controls from surroundings, rounded corners...

It must really suck to work at Microsoft.

-Noel

One for the ages. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Thanks, in case you haven't noticed already, I am wastingtimewithforums.

Anyway, that thread gets really funny now:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/There-is-no-escape-from-the-suck-train?page=5

Discussion shifted to whether W10 should count as an upgrade to W7 at all, given its suckness.

>By that metric, if MS re-releases DOS and renames command.com to Kernel32.exe with a really high version number, this thing would count as an update of Windows.

"Pro upgrade" poster: This is correct. It has nothing to do with the quality.

Microsoft hinted that they'd bring back Aero Glass if enough people wanted it.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-aero-glass-theme-could-make-comeback-if-enough-vote-it

Just sprayed my monitor with coffee reading this epic comment  :thumbup  :

"MEMO to the Gen Y Millennials (aka 'self-esteem junkies') employed at Microsoft:

Your Metro'sexual interface was an epic failure, stop trying to repackage it with that bastardized Windows 10 'app' menu.

In case you missed the other memo: Aero is -already- the #1 requested feature via Windows 10 Technical Preview feedback.

Thus, we don't need to 'vote' just to make you 'feel' better about yourselves. Mommy isn't here to boost your over-bloated egos.

Face the mass rejection of Win 8 Metro. FYI, your latent resentment towards users is quite obvious in the 2 hour 'launch' video.

Here's how it plays out at my company: No Aero, NO SALE.

I vote with my dollars. Capiche!?

Punks."

--JorgeA

You want too much....

The sad thing is that what I want, we already had prior to Windows 8. :no:

--JorgeA

We  should probably call this thread 'Windows 10 - Last Impressions' as in it will the  'Last' OS that I will use, Thanks but No Thanks Microsoft I will stick with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

~DP

The way the new OS is shaping up, I'd rather use Win8 than Win10. I can't believe I'm writing this, but in a couple of years I might actually buy a Windows 8.1 system (or license) to extend the time that I can keep working without either submitting to Win10 or taking the big plunge into Linux.

--JorgeA

--JorgeA

You want too much....

The sad thing is that what I want, we already had prior to Windows 8. :no:

--JorgeA

That was meant as sarcasm

WZOR posted some pictures of Build 10056:

213840_original.jpg

http://wzor.net/37418.html

Still nothing "impressive" shown, only depressing.

Have you noticed how they're calling these various "new build" tracks by names such as "awesome" and "impressive"?

Gotta wonder if they really believe they're coming up with awesome and impressive achievements, or if it's a case of trying to convince themselves by the power of labeling.

--JorgeA

Face the mass rejection of Win 8 Metro. FYI, your latent resentment towards users is quite obvious in the 2 hour 'launch' video.

The resentment was mutual. Here's the video he talks about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOk5AeFyqo

This part is hilarious in a very sad way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOk5AeFyqo&t=13m25s

He announces that W10 will be free for previous Windows users. They obviously expect a huge cheering from the audience at this point, Steve Jobs-style.. well...

Edited by Formfiller