Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

My understanding was that it was going to be a bit like a double blind study - that Microsoft would turn it on randomly and users with problems would press the little frowny face if something didn't work right.

Forcing the setting to Enabled means you get the new engine no matter what.

-Noel

Two things I noticed, firstly it's now even harder to work out how to create a local account, secondly I may have found a reason why I couldn't update, it appears that even though it's not listed as a disallowed character, the middle letter of my user name, ö, can no longer be used.

This inability to use characters with diacritical marks, it's gonna go over really well with international users. :angrym:

Even users of English versions of Windows may want to use such characters in their account names; why limit their options?

--JorgeA

Microsoft has clarified the report of users of pirated copies of Windows being able to upgrade (if that's the correct word ;) ) to Win10.

“We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible,” a Microsoft statement notes. “With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mis-licensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mis-licensed after the upgrade.”

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that all that means is that if you're now using pirated Windows 7, you will be able to use pirated Windows 10.

Maybe they hope to make it up in app sales. Unless being "non-Genuine" means that you're not allowed into the Windows Store.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

An interesting (and, sadly, probably right on the money) assessment of the new Start Menu over in the TP forums:

I just find the TP version of the Start menu useless and childish in response to an extremely over whelming demand for the thing to be right. It can only be clear at this point MS is going out of their way to make it a bad product.

--JorgeA

Any noticeable and GOOD new news/features?

I think I like the round user picture when I sign in!

My 9926 would not allow me to update to 10041 at all, I ended up using an ISO for a fresh install.

I can update to 10041 by following this:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/2193/windows-10-technical-preview-2-how-to-install-build-10041

Then, visit Windows Update again and click the “Advanced options” link. In the Advanced Options view, choose “Fast” from the drop-down under “Choose how preview builds are installed.”
This change will put your PC on the “Fast Ring” for public Windows 10 Technical Preview 2 builds, meaning you’ll get them as soon as they’re released. After making this change, check for updates again. You will see something called “fbl_impressive 10041 Professional.” That’s the new build. So get installing.

And when I disconnected from the Microsoft account it let me sign in with a local account. 

Two other things I've noticed!

In IE11, using either the drop down menu or pressing F12 does not always open the Developer Tools as expected.

There is a blank/invisible icon in the system tray for Defender, (I can still hover over the expected icon area and see a PC status: Protected message).

I think the only logical conclusion is that some key people at Microsoft just "cracked" somewhere between Apple slamdunking with the iDevices and the public rejecting W8. There is no other explanation. After the disastrous welcoming of Windows 8, the hovering-on-rounding-error marketshares of W8 tablets and Windows Phone... STILL continuing this strategy is just mental. With Windows 8 there was at least the theoretical possibility that brute-force shoving of metro would lead to WP sales (which failed), but now they are just doing it for the heck of it.

Now that Ballmer is gone, the "crack" appears to be much deeper than anyone expected here, maybe it's Bill Gates himself who "cracked", too:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-is-back-at-microsoft-big-time-2014-10?IR=T

I don't think there is any business reason for this madness, not even "selling apps", because porting the Windows Store to Windows 7 or offer a sane looking Windows with a store would be infinitely more successful than continuing pumping out these metro abortions.

It's a company-wide pathological madness, insanity and the subconcious desire to stick it to the users for not liking W8, metro and WP.

It's personal.

Edited by Formfiller

Today I finally tried the Windows 10 beta.. Ugh, it's such trash compared to Windows 7.

The start menu is an abomination. The look and feel is totally off, - and all these metro sidewhows everywhere. It's incredible to say this, but even the W8 metro menu didn't feel this botched. Its handling and full screen nature was bad, but at least it felt somewhat designed, while the W10 start menu feels as if someone blotched it together in his spare time with no thought whatsoever. There are no jump lists, no integrated search function, the links to the central elements (documents, control panel) are cramped at the top and look like a**. Bleh. No excuse for this trash!

The search is clunky, searching for your files on your computer brings up news about ferry disasters and teenage-worded cortana messages. If you search for programs, the results aren't displayed in the start menu, but in an awkward separate window! It's just bad.

Then there are funky recipes for disasters, like you cannot just search for updates anymore. If you search for Windows updates they get automatically installed, and you cannot review them before install nor can you deselect specific updates. Imagine the consequences for troubleshooting drivers and updates, not to mention that Microsoft regularly puts out faulty updates, in light of these realities -  what kind of retard greenlighted the updater in Windows 10?

The metro/desktop schizophrenia is still there: Some bundled apps are Win32 (media player), some metro (PDF reader). The metro ones are fragmented: They still look fugly, but use some Win32 components, like the file-dialog in the PDF Reader. It's awkward: They are windowed, use some Win32 but still look alien. They also feel slower and buggier than the W32 pendants. It's so pointless. That trash heap of a calculator has the usability of a C64 program, less functions than W7 calc.exe, yet has a splash screen!

The look of the icons of the system is something to behold.. they look like a mix between a hobbyist 90s Linux distro (explorer) and early Palm PDA (control panel).

With Windows 8, you at least could think all this ugly had a machiavellian sense (to force metro), but with W10 it's as if its ugly just for ugly's sake.

Windows 10 is a mess. If you have Windows 7, stay on it. If you are for some reason on W8.. W8 with a third party start menu looks better than native W10 and at least Windows Update works sane.

Edited by Formfiller

Imagine that they may make large short term profits by skimming from sales on the App Store and by selling advertising banner space.  They would say they're doing exactly the right thing, and who the hell cares about whether it's a viable move for serious computing?  Users are no longer the customers.  Enter the advertisers.

I can't be the only one who's noticed that sometimes huge short-term profits can be made with decisions entirely different than those that would make sense if running a company for the long-term.

-Noel

Imagine that they may make large short term profits by skimming from sales on the App Store and by selling advertising banner space.  They would say they're doing exactly the right thing, and who the hell cares about whether it's a viable move for serious computing?  Users are no longer the customers.  Enter the advertisers.

I can't be the only one who's noticed that sometimes huge short-term profits can be made with decisions entirely different than those that would make sense if running a company for the long-term.

-Noel

Thing is, even  if that's the goal. It could be achieved by a far less ugly and clunky OS.

W10 feels fugly, awkward and stupid just for the heck of it. Every freeware author could design a less ugly money grab. I mean just look at the eloberate design scammers put into fake AV scanners! This thing (W10) on the other hand is just plain retarded. They are now just insulting the customers for the lulz.

Edited by Formfiller

Well, Microsoft's Marketing probably looks at the landscape and thinks:

"Win - Win"

Prospective users buy into the hype or are forced to use Win 10, or they keep using...  Win 7.

Either way, Microsoft sells them the software.

Not hard to see that maybe they're making it as bad as possible so that they can then improve the appearance incrementally (by doing next to no work) in future releases - ultimately to win over the hearts and minds of all.

It's much harder to make a new version that improves on what Win 7 provided, and if you do, what's the next one got to be like to compete?  And the one after that?

-Noel

OS trends:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=11&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=189&qpnp=5&qptimeframe=M&qpstick=1

A cyberarcheologist from future might only read the above data as follows:

In November 2014 1/4th of all XP users worldwide decided to upgrade to either Windows 7 or 8.1.

Those that upgraded to 7 stayed with it, while those that upgraded to 8.1 immediately (in December 2014) returned to XP, often convincing friends and relatives who were already on 8 or 8.1 to go back to either Windows XP or 7.

From October 2014 to February 2015 the combination of XP+7 grew from around 70% to more than 75% whilst at the same time the combination of 8+8.1 was reduced from almost 17% to around 14%, while Mac OSx users tripled in number and a lot of people usng "other" OS migrated from them (to either XP or Mac OSx or 7).

:whistle:

jaclaz

Nice story, except...  The cyberarcheologist will likely be using a personal digital assistant.

Cortana will change history.  No, I mean literally.  She'll report that Windows 8 was a resounding success.

Of course Siri will disagree.  And Google will just do what google does best and return a link to this image...

personal_trollface_hd.png

-Noel