Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Though I haven't been running with UAC off recently, I had no problem running the things you mentioned with EnableLUA set to 0.  Caveat:  The Apps of course wouldn't run, but all the Settings stuff did.

I thought maybe you were reporting something new about build 10041.  I am now up and running - including Aero Glass (mostly) - on 10041.

My quick suite of performance tests show a general degradation in performance of about 3% since version 9926.

And for some reason at the moment Windows Update is completely non-functional, claiming my system admin has disabled it.

I'll need to try disabling UAC on this one and see what happens.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm in the slow lane. Is 10041 the newest public build?

Great to know that Aero Glass still works there, but it's disturbing to learn that performance is actually worse than before. Haven't they been telling us all along that the whole purpose of eliminating Glass and simplifying visual elements was supposedly to improve performance? :unsure:

--JorgeA

P.S. Considering where they're headed, it might not be such a bad thing if Windows Update were now completely broken and beyond repair. :D

Edited by JorgeA

It's just so much BS.

Yes, build 10041 came out today for "Fast" ring participants.

It's probably not a noticeable difference in performance.  Here are the results of a suite of quick tests I always run:

Performance comparisons:

Equivalently configured 4 core systems, 16 GB RAM, SSD storage

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
----------------------

Bootup, no hybrid/fast boot                           25 seconds

Enumerate all files/folders at C:\, first time        12,833 files/second
                                        second time       25,666 files/second

Start Visual Studio 2013, first time                  3.0 seconds
                              second time                 1.4 seconds

Checkout of a large solution from a local SVN server  119 seconds

Build of solution                                     56 seconds

Reboot                                                33 seconds

Shutdown                                              16 seconds

Windows 8.1 x64 Pro
-------------------

Bootup, no hybrid/fast boot                           26 seconds

Enumerate all files/folders at C:\, first time        3,912 files/second
                                        second time       5,491 files/second

Start Visual Studio 2013, first time                  3.6 seconds
                              second time                 2.2 seconds

Checkout of a large solution from a local SVN server  201 seconds

Build of solution                                     80 seconds

Reboot                                                32 seconds

Shutdown                                              14 seconds

Windows 10 build 9926
---------------------

Bootup, no hybrid/fast boot                           25 seconds

Enumerate all files/folders at C:\, first time        6,095 files/second
                                        second time       12,190 files/second

Start Visual Studio 2013, first time                  3.0 seconds
                              second time                 1.8 seconds

Checkout of a large solution from a local SVN server  293 seconds

Build of solution                                     53 seconds

Shutdown                                              16 seconds

Windows 10 build 10041
---------------------

Bootup, no hybrid/fast boot                           28 seconds

Enumerate all files/folders at C:\, first time        6,150 files/second
                                        second time       11,915 files/second

Start Visual Studio 2013, first time                  4.0 seconds
                              second time                 2.4 seconds

Checkout of a large solution from a local SVN server  280 seconds

Build of solution                                     63 seconds
    Rebuild of solution                                   58 seconds

Shutdown                                              19 seconds

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

OT, :w00t::ph34r:, but as expected:

Well, seemingly tomorrow they are going to present a new Lumia:

http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/03/18/the-lumia-story-continues/

That, according to some interpretations might even be cheaper than the (here in Italy) Lumia 435, sold (in theory) for € 90, but actually obtainable for around € 75, which debuted very recently:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/3593950/lumia-435-release-date-price-specs/

jaclaz

http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/03/18/the-lumia-story-continues/

http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/03/19/lumia-430-dual-sim/

Making it even easier to own your first Windows Phone, today Microsoft is proud to announce the Lumia 430 Dual SIM.

With a price tag of 70 USD*, the Lumia 430 Dual SIM becomes the most affordable Lumia to-date, bringing smartphone experiences, the latest apps and signature Microsoft services to many more people, sometimes for the very first time.

Loaded with Windows Phone 8.1 and the Lumia Denim Update, the Lumia 430 Dual SIM is also the most affordably priced Lumia that can upgrade** to Windows 10 when it becomes available later this year.

*Before taxes and subsidies

**Like any upgrade to a new operating system, not every phone will support all possible Windows 10 features. Certain features and experiences will require more advanced future hardware.

jaclaz

I hear ya.  When you see that even the boasts that Windows 8 and newer are faster are just so much BS it becomes all too clear that Microsoft stopped doing work useful to serious computer users after Windows 7.

Yet to this day people emphatically claim Win 10 is faster.  Maybe for them installing a new OS solved some driver problem or whatnot and the occasional claim is legitimate microscopically - but it's not representative of things in general.

Or maybe for most folks a new install is just faster than an old, loaded-up, misconfigured, half-broken OS installation it's replacing. 

-Noel

because I've killed the 9926 VM I can't install 10041. Any noticeable and GOOD new news/features?

Frankly, other than more reorganization of control panel stuff I'm not seeing anything to write home about at all.

• I don't use Metro/Modern Apps, save for a few quick tests.  Those I've started seem the same.
  • I don't use the Windows Start Menu at all, so I don't care what they're doing there.
  • At the moment my Windows Update process is broken somehow, so I can't say they've made any improvements there.
  • The theme atlas is *almost* the same as with build 9926, and BM's Aero Glass for Win 8+ *almost* works.

It's clear to me that they're not making any more big changes. I imagine they're near a code freeze, as at least one Microsoft talking head has implied the release will be moved up to Summer.

Edit:  Fixed the Windows Update issue.  I had experimented with Group Policy at one point, and back in build 9926 it was ineffective so I accidentally left it disabled.  At least they made the current Windows Update process work with Group Policy now.

Hate to say it, but I still don't see any way to manage individual Windows Updates.  I see another entry, for example, called fbl_impressive 10041 Professional, and sure enough it appears to be downloading the whole thing again.  Oops there goes another 3 gigabytes...

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

My 9926 would not allow me to update to 10041 at all, I ended up using an ISO for a fresh install.

Two things I noticed, firstly it's now even harder to work out how to create a local account, secondly I may have found a reason why I couldn't update, it appears that even though it's not listed as a disallowed character, the middle letter of my user name, ö, can no longer be used.

I have noticed that my Context menu apps no longer work off of  'This PC' and where is the new 'Spartan browser'

that Microsoft unveiled back in January but still not adding to the newest build as promised.

~DP :whistle: 

.... it appears that even though it's not listed as a disallowed character, the middle letter of my user name, ö, can no longer be used.

And wait until the new Word and it's corrector comes out ... ;)

jaclaz

I have noticed that my Context menu apps no longer work off of  'This PC' and where is the new 'Spartan browser'

that Microsoft unveiled back in January but still not adding to the newest build as promised.

~DP :whistle:

Type the following into the address bar of IE:

about:flags

If you enable the Experimental Web Platform Features, I believe you'll be using the Spartan engine.

-Noel

Type the following into the address bar of IE:

about:flags

If you enable the Experimental Web Platform Features, I believe you'll be using the Spartan engine.

-Noel

I don't know if the defaults are different for updaters as opposed to clean installers but mine's set to Auto which would suggest Spartan engine features where possible, but perhaps not.