Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

At this rate of Flat (encephalogram) Design I guess the icon set for W11 will be something of this sort:

YN3F7ThO.jpg

No need to reinvent the wheel. They can just use what is in the Wingdings font! :P

:lol:

About those redesigned desktop icons, apparently this has generated some heat.

The most interesting (to me) part of that article, was the screenshot of an early version of Windows 8:

Leaked%20Windows%208%20Milestone%203.jpg

As Mr. Spock (RIP) might have said: "fascinating."

--JorgeA

Looks like another article that's full of crap to me.  Seriously?  "Microsoft isn't thinking about icons or aesthetics right now?"

​Give me a break.

It's the ONLY they know how to do, and don't kid yourself - their "lookie and feelie" people are FIRMLY in charge.  They're all about changing the fashion and herding the users.

We couldn't believe they were eliminating Aero Glass in the late Win 8 pre-release builds either (what id*** would do that?), yet looking back we can clearly see that they were "fading it out" across all the builds.  There wasn't one hair out of place in their pursuit of that.  If there's ONE THING Microsoft does it is to use the pre-release builds to get people used to whatever stupid "vision" (think LSD) they have.

-Noel

... don't kid yourself - their "lookie and feelie" people are FIRMLY in charge.  They're all about changing the fashion and herding the users.

This Neowin commenter touches it with a needle:

If you'll notice, the blatant ugliness is all in the classic desktop realm. I would venture to say it's intended with the goal of making it undesirable to use compared to the metro interface. There is no way a sane design team could come up with that kind of ugliness unless it was intentional.

Precisely.  It's a lot harder to make something else GOOD so that it attracts people to it.

Thing is, they're in too much of a hurry.  They should be making the desktop experience all the better AND doing their best to make the touch-first side attractive too.  That's how winners win.

-Noel

No amount of uglification will make people who need the desktop drop the desktop, it's that simple.If someone need a car to do stuff, no matter how ugly you will make the car, he still won't chose the (just as ugly) bike as long as the butt-ugly car still is able to drive.

I too believe that their uglification is intentional, but it's such an ridiculously stupid premise and tactic they are on. Pathetic. On the evil-doer scale it ranks below Wile E. Coyote.

Edited by Formfiller

The print in the image says that, "The old out-of-box experience (OOBE) that involves Microsoft sign in/sign up has been replaced with a new, cloud-hosted OOBE process."

Wonder if the option to sign in without a Microsoft account (and without placing anything in the cloud) will remain.

Note, too, that the link to IE will now be buried under Windows Accessories in the Start Menu. Maybe a prelude to putting Spartan front and center?

--JorgeA

The print in the image says that, "The old out-of-box experience (OOBE) that involves Microsoft sign in/sign up has been replaced with a new, cloud-hosted OOBE process."

Wonder if the option to sign in without a Microsoft account (and without placing anything in the cloud) will remain.

this is what I also ask myself, too.

Woody Leonhard gives us 20 reasons to be skeptical of Microsoft's idea of automatic Windows Updates for everyone:

20 epic Microsoft Windows Automatic Update meltdowns

...which makes the following report by Mary Jo Foley all the more disturbing:

Microsoft is expected to provide customers who take advantage of the free Windows 10 promotion with regular, free feature and security updates on an ongoing basis via Windows Update, most likely with little or no opportunity to decline or delay either.

[emphasis added]

:realmad:  :realmad:  :realmad:

You know what -- forget Aero Glass, the Start Menu, and all the Metro stuff. If Microsoft really does intend to start shoving Windows Updates down users' throats with no option to decline them, this is a deal killer. They could bring back Aero Glass and remove Metro root-and-branch, and I'd still not take such a product. Nowadays, installing Windows Updates is too much of a roll of the dice. Nor do I care to allow the 'Softies to decide for me when and if my PC must reboot. Because I participate in a distributed-computing project, my PCs are literally always in the middle of something and there is no "good" time to reboot them blindly.

Thanks to Woody for alerting readers to this possibility, which I had missed when Mary Jo first brought it up.

--JorgeA

Same old same old...

Early releases missing obvious functionality, pre-release testers reporting it's not good enough, Microsoft exclaiming, "we're listening, it's not done yet", then the fateful release date comes and goes.

We are witnessing the crumbling of an era.

But it's all too clear...  Microsoft is no longer capable of writing complete software.  The only thing they can do, it seems, is execute UI changes to some cockamamie plan their "visionaries" have cooked up.

-Noel

One of my PCs was offered 11 Windows Updates in today's Patch Tuesday bundle. Not a single one had a working link to a page providing information about the update.

post-287775-0-23788400-1426042899_thumb.

This shows either abysmal incompetence on the part of the Windows Updates team, or supreme contempt for users by Microsoft management in expecting us to blindly install these updates without the faintest idea of what they are supposed to do.

Used to be you could count on Microsoft to have the KB information page available at the same time as the Updates got pushed out. No more. In recent months, the number of updates having no information available concurrently with their release has grown from none, to a smattering, now to all of them. Even the update descriptions within the Windows Updates applet have gotten vaguer and less useful in the last year or two.

Doubtless this foreshadows what it'll be like to be on Windows 10.

They might inspire more confidence if they demonstrated greater competence in producing updates that won't screw up people's computers, or in keeping their customers informed as to what they're proposing to do to PCs with these updates.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

This shows either abysmal incompetence on the part of the Windows Updates team, or supreme contempt for users by Microsoft management in expecting us to blindly install these updates without the faintest idea of what they are supposed to do.

... or both. :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I'm not sure how long it takes to make an update, but I do know that it takes 2-3 weeks for a "Fast Publish" KB to go live on the site. If anything, MS should "fast publish" some sort of info when an Update becomes available... even if it is something general about the update and a line about checking back when the KB article is complete. But honestly, you would think it would be easier to make the KB page than to make the update... Like they could be sitting on a draft of it while doing update testing (I am presuming they do this lol) and then once they put the update on WU, then push the article to the site.

If I were to bet, I would bet that the people who work on the KB and the people who work on the actual WU/Update files are two different departments.

I would dare to say that even just assigning a FIXED KB number (and corresponding page/link "placeholder") would be a very simple step forward.

The message JorgeA reported:

Oops!

The page you are looking for may have a new location or is no longer available.

Could well become (say :unsure:):

Hello, Dear Customer,

the page you are trying to access is related to a brand new KB, KB12345678, connected with Update #xyz.

The Documentation Team is hard at work creating the page, since we (the Update Team) not only didn't tell them anything about this new update we put together and hastily deployed (obviously without any previous tests or quality control) to roughly 1 zillion computers around the world, but we cannot write even three §@ç#ing explicative lines to help the few users with more than two neurons to decide whether to install the update or not (remember , we are the geniuses of Update Team and not the losers of the Documentation Team). 

We were FAST in publishing (only two-three weeks time) you CANNOT EXPECT us to be also accurate.

Please check this page at a later time, considering how by the time this KB page will become live, IF the update botches a few millions installs, as it often happens, you will be able to find news about this update also through google bing as the complaints of the poor users that installed it will be online and indexed alright.

Have a nice day,

The Microsoft Update Team 

;)

jaclaz