Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I have now tried build 9926 and I'm not impressed at all. Settings app is still desktop hostile compared to Control Panel , although its little better than Settings app in leaked build.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]
"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

this registry tweak does work for now at least. I tried it in build 9926 and it does activate old Windows Update in Control Panel.

Calculator application has been unfortunately replaced by Universal Calculator app ( tablet style, very inefficient compared to Calculator application and has horribly huge font).

Definitely this build confirms that I will skip Windows 10 and wait for Window 11 or whatever name it will have in 2017 or close to that time. As I have confirmed before I will not switch to Linux. I like way Windows 7 operates (including Control Panel, Aero Glass and other GUI controls).

Edited by Aero7x64

New Start in build 9926 is also even more inferior compared to already bad half-start menu in 9879. Yes I said Start. This can't be called any kind of start menu.

Seems like next thing going to lowest common denominator is taskbar clock. New flat, ugly and oversimplifield UI is coming in the future:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-enable-new-tray-clock-ui-windows-10-build-9926

Currently when more information comes from the Windows 10 and its "progression", the less interesting it becomes.

Edited by Aero7x64

The BreadBox Ensemble (just like it's predecessor NewDeal Office) is/was last evolution of GEOS/GeoWorks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_(16-bit_operating_system)

http://toastytech.com/guis/indexgeos.html

Thanks jaclaz, that was informative as always.  :)

It's remarkable how much activity and innovation was going on in the UI arena twenty years ago. If Microsoft doesn't fix the Windows 10 UI, maybe there will be a resurgence in the market for alternative UI's.

--JorgeA

I have now tried build 9926 and I'm not impressed at all. Settings app is still desktop hostile compared to Control Panel , although its little better than Settings app in leaked build.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]

"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

this registry tweak does work for now at least. I tried it in build 9926 and it does activate old Windows Update in Control Panel.

Calculator application has been unfortunately replaced by Universal Calculator app ( tablet style, very inefficient compared to Calculator application and has horribly huge font).

Definitely this build confirms that I will skip Windows 10 and wait for Window 11 or whatever name it will have in 2017 or close to that time. As I have confirmed before I will not switch to Linux. I like way Windows 7 operates (including Control Panel, Aero Glass and other GUI controls).

I had to extend my Win10TP partition in order to get it to install 9926. Finally got it installed last night, and my impressions match yours: they're making it worse, not better. :realmad:

Did you notice the tiny, impossibly thin navigation arrows they've put in File Explorer? (Maybe not, they're easy to miss except that that's where you would look to click on the arrows.)

They've made the Start Menu even uglier than before, if that was possible. Now it shoots halfway across my screen, no matter how few tiles I have on it. :angrym:  And if you're using a dark-colored theme, there is so little contrast between the Start Menu background and the scrollbar and arrows that you can hardly see them.

The Personalization category in the new Settings app is a joke compared to what you can still get by right-clicking on the Desktop. About the only meaningful choice you get there is to change the wallpaper.

The new Windows Update process is even less informative than before. Click on an available update, and it no longer tells you the size of the update; while the infobox tells you to see the related KB article for more information on the update, it gives neither a link nor even a URL to cut-and-paste onto your browser so that youy can look it up.

Wrong way, Microsoft, wrong way!

--JorgeA

Return of Aero Glass Theme most requested feature for Windows 10

Windows 10 users have voted the return of the Aero Glass Theme as the most requested feature for Microsoft’s upcoming operating system. [...]

...On the Windows Feature Suggestions page the user suggestions are listed and the return of the Aero Glass Theme is far on top with more than 40,000 votes.

Your customers are speaking, Microsoft. Are you truly listening?

--JorgeA

Did you notice the tiny, impossibly thin navigation arrows they've put in File Explorer? (Maybe not, they're easy to miss except that that's where you would look to click on the arrows.)

--JorgeA

Yes I noticed them. Another way to make Windows 10 worse.

Google search engine (with bing logo) for IE.Run reg then activate from IE addons as default Google.

LE.  If you don`t want bing logo, edit reg and chage this:

"NTLogoURL"="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=403856&language={language}&scale={scalelevel}&contrast={contrast}"

with this

"NTLogoURL"=""

google.reg.zip

Edited by condor

--JorgeA

Yes I noticed them. Another way to make Windows 10 worse.

You're not supposed to want to work on files!

Explorer is old and busted on the (ugh) Desktop.  Big fonts and just a few characters is the new hotness.

How is it you can't get your stuff done with just a few big characters?  If you can't you're trying to do the wrong stuff!

What's wrong with you people?  Can't you get with Modern times?  Computers are not about complicated things any more.

-Noel

Windows 10 everywhere – a new confusion for consumers?

Something to ponder:

While working in the retail space and dealing with family and friends on a daily basis, the confusion of whether or not Windows Phone allowed users to run a full-blown desktop operating system continually came into questions. However, at least in this circumstance, the two platforms were named slightly different. With Windows 10, both the phone and the desktop have the same name, which will provide some headaches for retail tech representatives when dealing with customers.

IMO the whole notion of standardizing the Windows experience across devices is pointless. Phones and tablets and PCs simply do not work the same way, they have different capabilities, and they are used for different purposes. Windows on phones is conceptually and operationally distinct from Windows on PCs, and so it needs to be kept terminologically distinct as well.

Attempts to "unify" the Windows experience inevitably means crippling the experience on the most capable, complex device -- meaning, the PC. Which is precisely what we are seeing, first with Windows 8 and now on 10. Fortunately, there are plenty of people around who have not yet been cretinized into Tileland and refuse to be. The jury is out on whether there are enough of us.

--JorgeA

Windows 10 Build 9926: Where's Windows Update?

About those thin Explorer arrows, down in the comments section:

Win 10 is becoming more of a mess than was Win8. The new Settings applet is nothing more than Control Panel in category view. I hope MSFT eventually provides an icon view mode. Again it seems MSFT is determined to push people into these ridiculous UI's. Another peeve is the incredibly difficult to see Back and Forward arrows when searching through folders.

Hopefully with enough registry hacks and third party software this OS can be made useful. So far Win 10 doesn't recognize my cell phone when attached and I haven't been able to automatically import pictures from my camera either.

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

Android and iOS Leave Little Room for Windows in the Smart Phone Market

Looking past the big two—Android and iOS combined to own 96.2 percent of the smart phone market in 2014—and we see one platform left standing: Windows Phone. With just 3 percent market share for the year on 38.8 million unit sales—95 percent of which were Microsoft/Nokia devices—Windows Phone actually lost share year-over-year: it owned 3.6 percent of the market in 2013 on sales of 35.8 million units. So while Windows Phone sales actually grew in 2014 by 3 percentage points, they did not grow as fast as the market overall.

[...]

Will it be successful? Here in the skewed US market, iPhone dominates and Windows Phones are rarely seen (well, outside of the Redmond, WA area or Microsoft trade shows). And that situation won’t change in 2015. Instead, Microsoft’s biggest chance for success—its reach for the next billion to 5 billion users—will come in emerging markets and with new customers who have never owned a computing device of any kind. In these volume/low-end markets, Microsoft should in fact see both unit sales and market share growth in 2015, though it will see big challenges from Google’s One Android initiative.

More problematic is the high-end of the market. And though Microsoft will not ship another Lumia flagship smart phone until the arrival of Windows 10 in late 2015, it’s unlikely that such a device will see great success anywhere given how entrenched iPhone, Samsung devices, and other Android handsets are in established smart phone markets. In many ways, any Windows Phone flagship device is simply an aspirational handset to show off platform capabilities, and not a driver of meaningful sales. That certainly won’t change in 2015.

I can't see Microsoft succeeding in the low-end, commodity market. And if not, then it means that they wrecked the Windows UI for nothing.

--JorgeA