Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I can only guess you must be insinuating those people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.  :whistle:

Not insinuating anything, I am plainly stating that (IMHO) the *need* for a multiple display is a "niche", related to:

1. graphical design (very high level one) and that counts for two fingers of my left hand, namely thumb and index
  2. CAD/CAM (also rather highish level) and that counts for middle, ring and pinky
  3. software engineering (because you tell me so :yes:)

Personally I cannot even think to work on a graphic/CAD workstation (let's say with Autocad or Bentley Microstation) without a pen/tablet input device, and two monitors, one as work display and one for menus, but still 90 to 95% of people I know that use this kind of stuff at a more than elementary level use a plain single monitor and even a common mouse and however personally it is what? 10 years or so that I don't use seriously Autocad or Microstation.

Admittedly, it is very possible that I know personally only very few people and that the few I know are among the ones with less resources :unsure: and - just like myself - very cheap :w00t::ph34r:, but still I believe that it is rather UNcommon to find people that have (let alone *need*) a multiple monitor setup at work.

You do software engineering, right jaclaz?

Not at all. :no:

The (little) engineering I do is related to buildings/constructions.

When it comes to software what I do - at the most - are half-@§§ed batches/simple scripts, nothing that cannot be done without too much hassle on - say - a 800x600 display or that I can do VERY comfortably on a 22" monitor at 1680x1050 (which is what I actually use daily).

jaclaz

I can only guess you must be insinuating those people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.  :whistle:

Not insinuating anything, I am plainly stating that (IMHO) the *need* for a multiple display is a "niche", related to:
  • graphical design (very high level one) and that counts for two fingers of my left hand, namely thumb and index
  • CAD/CAM (also rather highish level) and that counts for middle, ring and pinky
  • software engineering (because you tell me so :yes:)

One you might be forgetting... and I would consider it separate from both graphical design and software engineering (while still containing portions of both) is web development. The reasons why my computer has 3 monitors was because I was doing web development at the time. Having multiple monitors is essential for that kind of work imo.

NO prob. let me rephrase:

1. graphical design (very high level one) and that counts for two fingers of my left hand, namely thumb and index
  2. CAD/CAM (also rather highish level) and that counts for middle, ring and pinky
  3. software engineering (because you tell me so :yes:)
  4. web development (because Tripredacus tells me so :))
  5. possibly some other activity, NOT usually carried by masses of people, that some other member may add to the list

The total amount of the above represent IMHO less than 5% if you take as 100% is the whole amount of PC's running one form or the other of MS Operating System in a business or for work: 

jaclaz

However once you go multi monitor it is very hard to go back.

Sure :yes:, as well, once you win the lottery it is very hard when you lose all the money, and once you have driven a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce, it is a frustrating experience to go back driving your good ol' pickup. :(

Still, driving a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce is  not "common" and a missing feature in them doesn't affect the masses, which was the point I was trying to make.

And, even if you win the lottery, the Ferrari or the Rolls is not something that you actually *need* to commute.

To further clear this aspect, I never said that having a multi-monitor setup is in any way "bad", "not convenient" or anything like that, what I said is:

Fact: it is not a common setup

Opinion: it is not *needed* if not in a small number of professions and even there only in the niche of them that design important things (according to NoelC )

jaclaz

I've seen tax accountants use dual-monitor setups, typically one screen for the electronic forms and another for the tax documents scanned into the computer.

On a more-fun note, PC gamers often use multiple monitors to create giant unified displays of a single scene.

Still not a majority of computers users by any means, of course, but the proportion of users having more than one monitor may surprise.

--JorgeA

Microsoft's ability to implement its announced strategy of rapid-fire updates turning Windows into a "service" comes into question:

Microsoft update blunders going out of control

The last several months have seen a disturbing string of problems in updates released for Microsoft products. Last week we saw three four. It's time to worry about what's behind it all.

Heck, if they can't do this right on a monthly cycle, how can they expect to update Windows on a continuous basis?

Here's a point that the writer brings up matter-of-factly but which IMO rates a :ph34r:  :w00t:  :crazy: from anybody who uses new versions of Windows going forward:

In the long run, when almost all our software is in the cloud and managed, I think all patches will be silent and we won't know anything happened, other than perhaps a version number incrementing.

Yeah, great -- everybody's software gets to break at the same time. What a juicy target for hackers from various unfriendly countries. And the disappearance of local, fully functional clients will mean that we can't fall back on adequate alternative solutions until the lords of the manor software get around to putting things back together.

--JorgeA

January's updates, which did NOT contain any kind of "roll up" of bug fixes, seem to be working just fine.

Regarding your comments on the cloud...  Why is it over and over again we feel like the lone soul pointing out that the emperor's wardrobe is vaporware?  Because someone in power stands to make money on us by pushing us into the cloud.

-Noel

Still makes me want to smash something!  I did have to find this right after I finished my lunch, making me have to swallow hard a few more times.

That and I saw something over on slashdot.org about 10 going to be a subscription service.  You know, you rent it or we won't allow you access to your data (oh, my mistake, that's ransom ware).

I am still so burned out with the whole Windows 8 fiasco and the metrotards that I just can't be bothered for Windows 10 right now.

Never felt before like this with a new Windows version. Not even with 8. Also, W10 somehow comes across as more and more metrotarded the further it "progresses". Are the metrotards still complaining about the start menu and stuff on the preview forums?

Edited by Formfiller

I am still so burned out with the whole Windows 8 fiasco and the metrotards that I just can't be bothered for Windows 10 right now.

Never felt before like this with a new Windows version. Not even with 8. Also, W10 somehow comes across as more and more metrotarded the further it "progresses". Are the metrotards still complaining about the start menu and stuff on the preview forums?

Yeah, the battle rages on. Sad to say, some people just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of choice: for them, it's either their way or the highway.

You did yeoman work for what, three years fighting Metro, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who admires the quality (and the persistence ;)) of your arguments over on Channel 9. Let someone else take over now.

--JorgeA

Still makes me want to smash something!  I did have to find this right after I finished my lunch, making me have to swallow hard a few more times.

That rates both a :D  (for the first part) and a :angry:  (for the second, in agreement).

Other screenshots I've seen of the Start Menu don't feature this translucency, so I'm wondering if the image I sourced from WinBeta might have been a mockup rather than something that represents what the Start Menu will actually look like in the coming TP build.

That and I saw something over on slashdot.org about 10 going to be a subscription service.  You know, you rent it or we won't allow you access to your data (oh, my mistake, that's ransom ware).

The Microsoft folks apparently weren't real clear on this (Windows subscription) point in their presentation today, maybe on purpose. But I hadn't thought of it as ransomware -- yet that's exactly what it sounds like, doesn't it. I would hope that if you stop paying the monthly fee they would let you retrieve your existing data and application licenses; I think that's how it's supposed to work with Office 364 where you can download your current files but not create new ones if your sub expires.

--JorgeA

first good news:

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

then not so good news:

Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs/ this means basically rapid releases that will ruin stability.

Basically more updates that might cause huge problems.

Also Microsoft has rebranded Modern/Metro apps as Universal apps. These Universal apps are according Microsoft supposed to replace win32/desktop applications across devices. It seems that they are similar to Modern Apps and just as desktop hostile.

Whole message of Windows 10 is according Microsoft: Unification across devices/ One Experience. Basically more of what was wrong with Windows 8.

Also it seems that control panel is being merged with PC Settings. If UI of this Settings app is like UI that was in leaked build or similar to it then it is not good UI for traditional desktop.

I can't make full decision of skipping Windows 10 or not before new build comes in next week. But so far not impressed.